Favorite AMVs?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

Favorite AMVs?

#1 Post by Omnificent »

Self-explanatory. What AMVs have taken your breath away, from sheer videoediting/timing awesomeness or hilarity?

1. Princess Tutu - "Håll Om Mig" by Nanne Grönvall: One of the two AMVs that single-handedly inspired me to check out the attached series. Guitar ninjas indeed.

2. True Tears - "Gypsy" by Ronan Hardiman: This is the other one. True Tears turned out to be a decent coming-of-age sleepy-Japanese-town love triangle romance that was kind of slow for my tastes, but this made it look epic, especially with the dancing scenes.

3. Samurai Champloo - "Tribute" by Tenacious D: Favorite comedy AMV? Favorite comedy AMV.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Ramidel
Regular

Re: Favorite AMVs?

#2 Post by Ramidel »

Sadly, my very favorite is gone now.

Sailor Mars Tribute: "Stand My Ground" by Within Temptation. Partly because the maker was extremely clever with their cuts, and rigged together an ambiguous kiss between Moon and Mars, partly because it...well, it got me into WT.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

I haven't really followed AMVs in years. Some of my favorites from way back were:

"Roseate Nocturne" from Utena
I swear, I'd never even heard of Evanescence at the time I first saw this. And unlike every video I've seen featuring them since, in this case the lyrics are not overly melodramatic - in this instance, for Anthy, they are accurate. I have a whole folder of Utena videos but this is my favorite (probably of anything ever).

I also have a folder devoted to Cowboy Bebop videos, of which the most notable are "Tainted Donuts" (which is a Bebop / Trigun crossover, and hilarious if you've seen both shows, but if you haven't you probably won't get it) and the impressive Pulp Fiction which is *really* well timed, as well as a great introduction to the show.

While it suffers from being a Linkin Park song and everyone hates them now, "Paranoia Rebirth" does a nice job at summing up Ayashi No Ceres (and is well timed). If you've never heard of it, this may give you some interesting guesses as to what the plot is about!

There's also a Key The Metal Idol video to Nine Inch Nail's "Closer" (NSFW!!!!) which sums up the show, but with MASSIVE, MASSIVE spoilers. However, as I was kinda pissed off at that anime after finishing it, I would tend to recommend that you watch the video INSTEAD of the entire series. The AMV author was also extremely depressed and angry when making it, IIRC. Be warned, it is meant to be disturbing.

I also have a multiple-series AMV to "Come What May" which makes me blub from the overdose of romantic angst. I'm a soft touch. However I couldn't possibly find that exact video on youtube, so you won't get to find out just how easy I am. :)

I used to download AMVs all the time and I only kept the ones I thought were awesome, so I have a decent collection of memorable ones, but I don't think you want to hear about ALL of them... do you?

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4 Post by Sapphi »

Yeah, that Princess Tutu AMV was awesome!

Here's my personal favorite:
G Gundam - Song of the Victory

They did a crazy amount of editing to make the show look like a fighting game. The music they used is a Para Para remix of an actual G Gundam song, which makes it like ten billion times more awesome!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Back when I was a young fan, I knew AMVs as "what people add to the end of fansub VHS tapes just to fill up space." And then I learned about the archive site animemusicvideos.org. It's still a useful resource for finding fan videos.

That said, it seems strange to think that it can be easier to use streaming media than to get some downloaded video files to work with older computers and software such as VLC. I rarely use streaming video sites, even though apparently everyone else on the internet does...

I hadn't heard of the video which Ramidel mentioned. But after a web search and a click or two, I found a "Sailor Mars Tribute" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpipRSS1 ... re=related

Most of my faves overlap with the "best comedy / fun / parody" AMV viewers choice awards. I know that there's plenty of good action/drama/experimental videos. But just looking over the winners from the last few years, I was reminded of "D-ON!" (Detroit Metal City versus K-on, with Tenacious D music), "The Harassment of Kyon" (awesome use of an Avril song), Vlad G Pohnert's "The Audition," and " omgsuperluckyhappyfunvideoGO" (from a person who's also made Friendship is Magic PMVs).

A non comedy video that I enjoy: "Shounen Bushido" by Istiv. The music alone is way over the top. But this video features multiple characters from multiple series in nearly every frame. Reminds me what I like about action/fighting series.

I'm a fan of Suberunker's videos. It's been a couple years since the last one, but this person created "Wizard of Ozaka," "The Wedding Rings," and "Still Preoccupied with 1985." All three are quite funny. Each of them include amusing inside jokes and fandom shout-outs.

Likewise, Ileia has made a bunch of LOL-worthy videos. "The Cyrus Virus" and "Blame It on 2009" are good places to start.

And I'm a fan of Dokidoki Productions. This person made quite a few laugh-out-loud AMVs from 1999 - 2010.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

Favorite AMV, eh? This isn't very professionally done nor is it that popular, but I like the emotion embodied in this one:

edit: wrong video; same song/series
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#7 Post by TsukiShima »

I'm currently very very addicted to 'dark' genres thanks to this.

david_werecat

#8 Post by david_werecat »

a
Last edited by david_werecat on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#9 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Soul Eater - This is Halloween

I'm addicted to the insane and manic energy in this one.

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#10 Post by silenteve »

I'm not sure if this counts but Ninja of the Night? :p
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

Soli-chan
Projects: Starlocket, PAPER FACES, Avrilun, Halcyon Days, Macrumbia: Interlude of the Dreaming
Organization: s00t studi0s

#11 Post by Soli-chan »

Agree with the Princess Tutu. Also, Shonen Bushido, anyone?

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

#12 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

I love this one. It is for the short They Might Be Giants song 'Hey Now Everybody'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0YVuhOypzM
And this. Despite the English subtitles I find it to be beautiful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0zPjxaE4og

I am sorry I do not know how to post videos right! :oops:

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#13 Post by babyfish »

Mix of Owl City's Fireflies. Fires up my muse every time.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Ragtag

#14 Post by Ragtag »

I wonder if anyone has watched this yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zaFHmxBH4
It was in the first place on the animemusivideo site for a long time.

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#15 Post by tuna_sushi »

I don't really watch AMVs, but when my friend showed me some, there were interesting videos.
My All-time favorite is this one:
[WARNING]Little Busters!SPOILER for every route including Refrain