What is your type?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
facades
Regular

What is your type?

#1 Post by facades »

I'm just curious to find out what characteristics people look for in others.:)
What kind of person attracts you the most (romantically / non-romantically) ? Is it the same in real life, TV shows, or even visual novels?
I'm also trying to come up with new personalities for the characters in my stories and hoping to use this for future reference. (;

When it comes to TV shows, and because I usually watch Korean drama, I like the nice character who is always doing sweet things behind the scenes for the protagonist.
Reference: http://sidoneon.deviantart.com/art/How- ... -149891725
This person is usually self-sacrificial, devoted, caring and just wants the best for the person he/she loves.

For visual novels, anime, and other stories in general. I'm usually first attracted to the person who is most carefree, funny, cute and playful.
But later on other characters, such as the childhood friend or the character with the saddest background, would become my favourite character.

In real life, I tend to gravitate towards people who are shy, quiet, responsible, reliable, understanding and patient. Being funny is a bonus. (:

What about you? (:

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

Re: What is your type?

#2 Post by silenteve »

For me, I usually find myself attracted to eccentrics, the weird characters on shows and games. I like people who are confident in themselves but don't feel a need to impress others. The carefree, happy, clueless type are also people whom I feel attracted to.
I like genuine characters but also characters with dark sides xD

Ex. Real Life : Colin Firth; TV Shows: Tate Langdon, American Horror Story; Anime: Shikamaru, from Naruto.

I somehow almost always feel repulsed by many female characters. The way they're written in shows and anime make them very dependent on the male characters in the show, and they're usually wishy washy and end up putting the people they care about in trouble. I love females who kick ass and are independent :) (I love Rukia, even though she had to be saved but she still tried to protect Ichigo in the end...)

Personally, I dislike Korean dramas due to the fact that the girls are usually extremely ungrateful towards these devoted types and end up going for the asshole (Have you see Boys Over Flowers? How could she pick Gu Jun Pyo?)
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

facades
Regular

#3 Post by facades »

silenteve wrote:I somehow almost always feel repulsed by many female characters. The way they're written in shows and anime make them very dependent on the male characters in the show, and they're usually wishy washy and end up putting the people they care about in trouble. I love females who kick ass and are independent :) (I love Rukia, even though she had to be saved but she still tried to protect Ichigo in the end...)
I agree! >.< But sometimes it might be due to society's views that woman are always the weaker ones who need help. ( Even in shows where the lady is supposed to be strong, she still needs help in the end.) Sigh. I once watched a drama where the male protagonist broke up with the female character because she had too strong a personality for him and didn't need any 'protecting'. That really made me go -.-".
silenteve wrote:Personally, I dislike Korean dramas due to the fact that the girls are usually extremely ungrateful towards these devoted types and end up going for the asshole (Have you see Boys Over Flowers? How could she pick Gu Jun Pyo?)
I always feel so sad for that male character.. But I comfort myself by saying "Well, if 'insert female protagonist's name' doesn't want you... Don't worry I still like you! xD And a whole lot of fangirls too! "

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#4 Post by Mink »

Mm, if someone didn't like the fact I'm independent and don't want or need protection*, then it sounds like they have a personal problem.

A bit more on topic: I like intelligent people I can banter with.

*Sorry, but that sounds too much like being treated like a child. I know I look like I'm 12, but I'm not.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#5 Post by Tetiel »

Needs to be incredibly intelligent. Must make very bad jokes, the worse the better (I'm a sucker for puns). Must have high aspirations in life, but not in any way be concerned or jealous if I make more than them eventually. I need someone who isn't afraid to be an absolute goof in front of me, but for the most part is serious about things. But yeah, the biggest thing is definitely the intelligence factor.

Physically, I go for the lumberjack-type :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#6 Post by teacup »

In VNs I usually go after that shy, timid, and blush-able type who don't talk much until you get to know them [this applies to male and female characters].
I guess I'm attracted to the same type in real life.
My boyfriend is quite shy, that's what i like about him. I find myself more drawn to guys who keep to themselves... they're usually the ones who have the most interesting things to say! And once you draw the personality out of them, it's important that they have a silly side as well :)

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#7 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Mink wrote: I like intelligent people I can banter with.
Tetiel wrote:Needs to be incredibly intelligent.
I've got to be the third to chime in. I like intelligent girls, someone who can mentally spar with me, discuss scientific principles with, and debate word etymologies based on the Latin and Greek. :lol: You know, I guess the hot scientist type.

I hope this doesn't sound too shallow, but I never sleep with anyone I wouldn't mind having kids with, so the dumb blonde stereotype is a totally turn off to me because all I can think about is "What if we had kids and they inherited the stupid?" It's a more effective thought than thinking about grandma and baseball for killing any erotic urges!

Oh, and my 'types' in real-life totally translate over to who I pursue in VNs.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by HigurashiKira »

For both guys and gals, I like them to be at least literate, (As in, someone who enjoys reading outside of their classes) brainy (but not so much as to overthink everything) chill, positive, and lively (Those last two are to counter my own personalities) It also wouldn't be bad if they share interests with me.

Physically, in a guy, I like them tall with a bit of meat on their bones (Not so much to be called fat, but that cute kind of pudge)
And for girls, I have a strange attraction to short girls with large hips; guess it has something to do with where I grew up.

Also, green eyes are a plus.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#9 Post by Mink »

HigurashiKira wrote:Physically, in a guy, I like them tall with a bit of meat on their bones (Not so much to be called fat, but that cute kind of pudge)
That just means there's more to love. <3
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:It's a more effective thought than thinking about grandma and baseball for killing any erotic urges!
Wait...why baseball? Am I not the only one who finds it one of the most boring sports ever?
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#10 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Well, I guess I'm pretty much like everyone else. I like shy girls (in manga, visual novels, and those sorts of things) but I've never actually met/noticed one, so I don't know if this would apply to real life... In real life, I tend to find myself liking people who are either very nice to me, or who abuse me a great deal (I don't know why). Being dumb is the biggest turnoff for me, but I'm not necessarily attracted to smarter girls (I'm just repelled a great deal by dumber ones).

With guys, I like the fun, loud, somewhat rude type. I also like the snarky type. My best male friends have been fairly sarcastic. Again, stupidity is a turnoff, but not as much.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#11 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Mink wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:It's a more effective thought than thinking about grandma and baseball for killing any erotic urges!
Wait...why baseball? Am I not the only one who finds it one of the most boring sports ever?
Just being funny, as it is one of the common things cited that men are supposed to think about to remove arousal. I personally find baseball less boring than golf, hockey, or basketball . . . but that isn't saying much.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#12 Post by Reikun »

In VNs, I always pursue the flirty prince type of guy (close second to this is the prideful tsundere) xD;;; For girls, I usually pursue the independent and strong-willed!
I think this translates pretty well into real life. I like to hang out with guys and ladies who are open for some silly flirting. I like people that are strong-willed and will defend their position in a discussion (even if it's just for argument's sake). But mostly, I guess my only REALLY close friends are otakus xD Which is great because we can all be awkward together and no one even cares. There have actually been many instances for me when individuals of a certain biological sex told me they would want to date me if I was the sex opposite to them, but whatever.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#13 Post by LVUER »

Obviously, I chase different girls when it's in RL and in FL (fiction life?) Since if not... I will be in BIG trouble (see my title and you'll know).

In RL, I somewhat interested in tomboy girl. Those who could express themselves and a bit strong (not crying easily). And since I'm a bit wishy-washy myself, somehow I also interested in strong, determined girl who know what they want. Well, whatever her personality is, I never like a playgirl or girl who falls easily to guyS (see the plural).

Now in fiction... mwahahaha... I will chase after the lolies. Other than that... well, since I'm omnivore, I practically eat any kind of girl. Remember, my main dish will be alway lolies ;P
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#14 Post by KomiTsuku »

I've never been one for the shy, quiet types, honestly. I prefer someone who is a little more outspoken and passionate about their life, not a wall-flower who wouldn't be able to keep up with me. Intelligence is a nice thing, but I'd rather be with someone of average intelligence who had a backbone and spirit. I don't mind getting the chance to save the princess every now and then, but that princess better be able to save me as well, because I have a nasty tendency to get into mischief. Independent is fine (hell, I'm a lone wolf), but a relationship is a team... This might be a little shallow of me to say, but I'm also interested in someone fairly fit. Short haired girls are much cuter IMO. I do like a little bit of professionalism in their manners, but people who act adhere strictly to the rules tend to be dull and... well, unattractive. I'd say the best example would be Chie from Persona 4 or Lee from Naruto.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#15 Post by SilverxBlue »

In manga/Anime/VN, I tend to like and mainly pursue the snark knight first and going for the shy guy/girl second, then the playful character third I think it's because I could relate to them the most. XD

In real life, I get attracted to the reserved, mysterious-looking guys (Not really shy, just someone who doesn't talk very often.), but once you get to know them better, they turn out to be funny and easy-going. It would also be a huge plus for me if they're intelligent. If they're dumb, then no, just no. They would never be able to understand why I like doing things I like to do.

What's ironic is I can never get that kind of guy to like me. I always end up attracting guys who turn me off. Mainly, over-confident, dumb, flirty types who are all talk. ;_;
Last edited by SilverxBlue on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!