Robinwood Studios is recruiting

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Joel Dawson
Projects: Tome of Eternity
Organization: Robinwood Studios

Robinwood Studios is recruiting

#1 Post by Joel Dawson »

My name is Joel Dawson, Promotional Representative and Recruitment Manager for Robinwood Studios.

We are a new company dedicated to making rich Visual Novels for the needy. For starters, we are kicking off our company with a psychological thriller titled Tome of Eternity.

Synopsis: It was just another normal day for two high school friends in Mechadya. Well, as normal as normal can be in Mechadya, a giant steam powered city in the sky. Dan and Soemo never thought about how strange their situation really ever was. Life on a floating city was about as plain as plain could be on Scrail. Their life was just a shade, a passing blink in the eternity of time. But that all changed the day they found that book... And a girl came rolling out from it's pages at their feet.

Currently, we are looking to add even more members to our development team. Our staff currently includes:
-Project Manager/ Writer/ Programmer
-Editor/ Programmer
-Lead Design Artist
-Graphic Design/ Concept Artist
-Promotional Representative

We are trying to build on a already solid team and help tie up some loose ends. Now, the project is in early development and the concept art is just starting to take shape. We are needing to have multiple people staff certain areas, so we are currently accepting applications for:
-Co-Programmer (knowledge of Ren'Py required)
-(1)Writer
-(1)Editor
-Multiple Graphic Design Artists
-Background Artists
-Webmaster

That is all for now. The area we need most help in is the graphic design. We have two accomplished artists, but the project will require a lot of work. The more artists we have working on it, the faster the project will move along. Eventually we will also have a need for voice actors and a composer, but that time is a ways from where we are.

Want to help build on the epic story telling that is the Tome of Eternity? Just want to check out what our team has going on? We have a site and forum community. Check us out or PM me for details. Thanks you for your interest.

http://robinwoodstudios.forumotion.com/
Last edited by Joel Dawson on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roganis
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous
Projects: Milk
Organization: Traumendes Mädchen

Re: Robinwood Studios is recruiting

#2 Post by Roganis »

What about music and sound design ? Quite a big part of a Vn :p
Composer of the team. Music is magic.
If you got interested, go see my stuff at my Workshop.

Nightydreams
Regular
Projects: The Saddest Music In The World

#3 Post by Nightydreams »

Nice to see another studio popping up! We need more people willing to put alot of effort into Visual Novels and making a proper group and getting it together is a first big step, atleast I think so.

Good luck you guys!
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.

-Alexander. Infinity Ocean
Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
- Terro, The Saddest Music In The World

Joel Dawson

#4 Post by Joel Dawson »

Roganis wrote:What about music and sound design ? Quite a big part of a Vn :p
I stated above that eventually we will be seeking out voice actors as well as a composer. But we actually have a pretty good musician with us right now, but he is balancing a few jobs at once. We're seeking out additional help to lighten workloads.
Nightydreams wrote:Nice to see another studio popping up! We need more people willing to put alot of effort into Visual Novels and making a proper group and getting it together is a first big step, atleast I think so.

Good luck you guys!
Thank you for your support! And remember, even if you can't contribute to the core of the project, just visiting every once in a while helps out as well. By spreading our project by word of mouth we hope to attract the right people to the job.

Thanks again you guys. :)

fischer22
Regular

#5 Post by fischer22 »

Would be interested in helping out with Writing! Let me know if you´re still looking...

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#6 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

If you need a concept artist, I might be your man. This is my deviantart.

And have a look at this:

I probably can't do production art - the actual sprites - but I AM a good conceptual artist.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Kylock
Regular

#7 Post by Kylock »

Hello!

Is the formal application process? I'm interested in writing and/or editing position. I have various fiction and non-fiction samples I can submit, and am an editor for a gaming website. (Whose name I won't post here.)

Hope to hear from you!

Joel Dawson

#8 Post by Joel Dawson »

To answer the above posts in general:

Yes, this is a formal application process. Let me direct you each to the home of Robinwood Studios:

http://robinwoodstudios.forumotion.com/

You may each apply but posting a thread in the recruitment section of the site. Our site Admins and the Dev team will review qualifications and let you know their answer.

I appreciate everyone's interest in this project and hope we can work together to make our project a reality.
-Joel

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by gas »

Interface design and coding.
But you're at very start, guys, I think it could be better for you to go into some small, simple but well rendered project.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#10 Post by Lumella »

Are you guys looking for volunteer artists or formally paid artists? Sorry for being too curious. I'm rather confused since you said its a new company, which usually entitles it that you pay your team members, project based or such.
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

Joel Dawson

#11 Post by Joel Dawson »

gas wrote:Interface design and coding.
But you're at very start, guys, I think it could be better for you to go into some small, simple but well rendered project.
Not real sure what you're trying to say here, gas.
We already have a team of 8 put together for our project, and the Director is aiming for a 20 hour VN. Seems pretty modest of a goal to me. Besides, he's the best writer I've ever met and the artists we have on board are talented. Thanks for your feedback though.
Lumella wrote:Are you guys looking for volunteer artists or formally paid artists? Sorry for being too curious. I'm rather confused since you said its a new company, which usually entitles it that you pay your team members, project based or such.
Volunteer artists are what we are taking right now. We would love to able to pay people, but we have to make some sort of success first. We're making some really amazing progress already, so if you want to just come check it out click some of the earlier links to the site.

Sorry for the vague description earlier.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#12 Post by Taleweaver »

Joel Dawson wrote:We already have a team of 8 put together for our project, and the Director is aiming for a 20 hour VN. Seems pretty modest of a goal to me.
Lolwut?

A non-commercial 20 hour VN for your first project isn't "modest". It's "highly ambitious" at best and "doomed to fail" at worst.

A non-commercial 20 hour VN means

- at least 300,000 words of text, or 200,000 words and quite a bit of gameplay to somehow fill the game time
- enough art to match the amount of text; in a project of that length, the players will also expect lots of event CGs
- getting all that for free from people who, if their skills are good enough, could spend the same time earning a few thousand bucks

I applaud your motivation and everything, but really, from what I can see in your forum, you don't have the capacity to complete a project of that scope. If you've come here to attain that capacity (in terms of co-workers), you've certainly come to the right place, but I'd highly recommend starting with something smaller to serve as a sort of "business card" that you can show around to say: "Look, we did that. We'd like to do something of the same quality, but much bigger. Who's with us?"
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

applegirl
Veteran

#13 Post by applegirl »

Wow...20 hours is a really big project/VN. I mean, KS is 30-40 hours long and that took 5 years to complete (2 year with perfect team work according to their blog post). As long as each member is super dedicated, it is possible. I think a lot of VN makers had artists disappear on them (http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=13914) when the project is free and artists aren't paid. The thread mentioned had a studio with 6 disappearing artists while the OP had 2 artists disappear too. I think consistent artists that work for free (on such a big VN) might be difficult to find, so I agree with the idea that starting with a smaller VN is a bit wiser. But if you all have the passion, than go for it :)

EDIT: Also, I think the words of Taleweaver should be considered strongly. If you play Adrift, you'd realize this guy knows how to make VNs. Regardless, I do like the idea of the VN and hope that it will be completed.

Joel Dawson

#14 Post by Joel Dawson »

Taleweaver wrote: A non-commercial 20 hour VN for your first project isn't "modest". It's "highly ambitious" at best and "doomed to fail" at worst.

A non-commercial 20 hour VN means

- at least 300,000 words of text, or 200,000 words and quite a bit of gameplay to somehow fill the game time
- enough art to match the amount of text; in a project of that length, the players will also expect lots of event CGs
- getting all that for free from people who, if their skills are good enough, could spend the same time earning a few thousand bucks
After reading this I actually forwarded what you said to the Director on our current project. He pointed out to me that when he said a 20 hour VN, he meant that to include replay value as well, obtaining every ending (6 in total) would add up to about 20 hours. Apparently one play through is only going to amount to 4-5 hours. So apparently, I misunderstood his meaning when he said a 20 hour VN.

Thanks for pointing this out to me before I misinformed any others.
-Joel

fischer22
Regular

#15 Post by fischer22 »

Taleweaver wrote: - getting all that for free from people who, if their skills are good enough, could spend the same time earning a few thousand bucks
I already work 45 hours a week for my "few thousand bucks", sitting at a desk all day. I would do this for fun, experience, etc. and not the money :D