I drew Miko... (again)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Lillico
Otaku Manga Maiden

I drew Miko... (again)

#1 Post by Lillico »

ok here she is- I have to try to make this gray scale or something so I can make it into line art so I can color- wish my luck with my limited knowledge of photoshop. . . :lol:

it looks alittle garbled- but when I resize it - it'll fix that- it's just photobucket being mean.. :roll:
Last edited by Lillico on Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#2 Post by Sai »

Very nice. She looks very cute ^^

About Photoshop:

Cleaning up a scanned image

Image > Adjust > Levels
Drag the very right arrow to the left (on the graph looking area) to get rid of the grey-ish background and make it white
Then drag the very left arrow to the right to balance to make the lines darker again

Changing to Grayscale

Image > Mode > Grayscale

Getting just the lineart

If you want just the lineart without the white (or grey-ish) background then:
Open the Layers window and double click on the layer with your artwork on it. Name it Layer 1 (or whatever) instead of Background
Go to the Channels window and then using the buttons at the bottom use the "Load channel as selection" (dashed circle thing)
Hit Backspace or Delete on your keyboard and then Ctrl+D (deselect)
If you find the lines are too light try the Levels thing in my first example

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#3 Post by rioka »

She looks cute, Lillico.
..So cute in fact that she looks like jailbait, imo. ;D

Grey
Veteran

#4 Post by Grey »

hehheh, she looks like a younger Miko. Don't let her near the peanut butter! Image

Lillico
Otaku Manga Maiden

#5 Post by Lillico »

Sai wrote:Very nice. She looks very cute ^^

About Photoshop:

Cleaning up a scanned image

Image > Adjust > Levels
Drag the very right arrow to the left (on the graph looking area) to get rid of the grey-ish background and make it white
Then drag the very left arrow to the right to balance to make the lines darker again

Changing to Grayscale

Image > Mode > Grayscale

Getting just the lineart

If you want just the lineart without the white (or grey-ish) background then:
Open the Layers window and double click on the layer with your artwork on it. Name it Layer 1 (or whatever) instead of Background
Go to the Channels window and then using the buttons at the bottom use the "Load channel as selection" (dashed circle thing)
Hit Backspace or Delete on your keyboard and then Ctrl+D (deselect)
If you find the lines are too light try the Levels thing in my first example
wow I'll have to try that line art thing.. I was doing something alot longer and more drawn out to create line art all this time.. Y_Y
thanks for the tipz!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

Grey wrote:hehheh, she looks like a younger Miko. Don't let her near the peanut butter!
Or the cookie jar...

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#7 Post by Otaku Dash »

Nice nice!! I like it a lot....and its true that it looks like a younger Miko....

Even so...

CUTE!!! :D
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Lillico
Otaku Manga Maiden

#8 Post by Lillico »

I finished up the sketches that lemma Sama needed from me today- so I did this for fun.. right now I'm just waiting around so I can show him my art on his character designs.. I can't wait... :3
anyway.. heres miko.. fun with shrooms.. :lol:

Jerails
Veteran

#9 Post by Jerails »

Oh no! It's the mushrooms! Where's her faceless boyfriend so they can perform devastating volleyball style team up attacks!?
It's been a while, folks!

Trinity Riot
Regular
Location: Somewhere between New York City... and New York City.

#10 Post by Trinity Riot »

Aaaaaaa! So cute! <3

Erik
Regular

#11 Post by Erik »

Nice drawing! She does look younger. The mushrooms drawing is cool too :D

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#12 Post by Otaku Dash »

"DON'T WORRY MIKO!!! I'M COMING TO HELP!!!" *readys salt and pepper.....* XD :P

It looks great! :D Keep them coming!! I can't wait to see more of your work. :wink:
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Realistic

#13 Post by Realistic »

ahh.... so good. and cute.. >.< what i wouldent give to be able to sketch that good.......but yea, quite nice. now lets see one " Miko wins!" with her standing ontop of the toppled 'shrooms

or not
-Realistic

Jerails
Veteran

#14 Post by Jerails »

Realistic's idea of a victorious Miko is pretty good, but remember, Miko also had a male companion during this battle! Only by using their combined efforts and unique volleyball-ish team up techniques could they have been successful in the brutal shroom beating that took place!

*Is obsessed with why most lead male characters in these things seem to be faceless for some reason*
It's been a while, folks!

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#15 Post by Sai »

Jerails wrote:*Is obsessed with why most lead male characters in these things seem to be faceless for some reason*
The usual reason is because the main character isn't to have a solid appearance or single identity, because you are actively the main player through emotion and actions and so on (particularly as these games have a focus on your personal 'preference' and 'emotions' and are more personal). And there is no way to know what every person who might play the game might look like or generally want to be like... So a lot of games of this genre forego making it up and just give a more neutral/generic appearance, where they're faceless or you just don't see the eyes (because eyes are important when viewing someone, it is the first place you look, and is always why anime eyes are often detailed or exaggerated, to amplify the significance)

However not all of these games do that. Some ignore this and figure the player would rather have some kind of identity regardless of if it would be how they would want to appear personally or not. So they create an appearance (face) for who you play so that you can identify with that *other* character being in the story rather than yourself. Useful for eliminating the uncomfortable problem of if, even with a 'no identity' character, the situations aren't what you personally would do.

Some people prefer the latter, some the other. But the first one must be popular I guess since a lot seem to go with it.

There was a discussion about this on Megatokyo forums I believe, asking whether people would rather have a preset appearance and viewable identity in the game, or for the character you play to be indefinable so as to imagine yourself as the character more. It's mixed as to what people want so I believe the genre covers both.

I could only find these two thread, the one I'm thinking of probably died ina board crash or something or is only obtainable with a less obvious search than "identity" and "faceless":

http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?showtopic=735984
http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?showtopic=1222443