Broken Hearted: A 9/11 Story

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#16 Post by Adorya »

Maybe he is now, but after reading his blog it seems he is a recent member (probably after his VN was translated). It is kinda original and funny to see the efforts of this author to play translated VN (commercial or not, he has a review of Paper Eleven author and Ever17), few japanese people can do that.

Reflection

#17 Post by Reflection »

Very nice to see someone from Japan notice this, eh? Good to see.

Nice to see you having it grow on you, Da Foul. ^^

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#18 Post by DaFool »

Very sweet story. And it seems like visual novel writers have a thing for tomboys :D (Yeah I have a thing for tomboys to, you will see ^_^)

My only gripe is how the main character kept referring to "9/11" as if it were a term already coded in a dictionary. Remember this was only a few days to a few months after the happenings, I don't know, it seemed a little like it came from a third-person impartial observer than from first-hand experience.

Jarkota
Regular

#19 Post by Jarkota »

I..............I don't know what to say. I definitely wasn't ready for this.........but that's my style - rushing into things headfirst. I was expecting drama, suspense, a roller coaster ride of emotions, to be sure - but I wasn't prepared for this. Take pride in the fact that you have made a tough-as-nails 20-year-old mountain-born-and-bred Redneck shed his tears like a crying baby. I didn't lose anyone in 9/11, but I know what it's like to lose loved ones. It's been happening all to frequently to me. The girl I loved since third grade died in an car accident in early July, and I never got the chance to tell her how I felt. She loved and was set to marry someone else. I can really identify with this, and I applaud you on a well-told story. I'd better go dry my eyes before anyone sees me like this - just thought I'd say a few kind words about your story and hope you make more in the future.

Reflection

#20 Post by Reflection »

Jarkota, that's sad for you, but glad that you liked the project. Hope you feel better, and I plan on making a few fictional stories in this format in the future, but it'll take me a while, due to me wanting to do it much more involved than the way I drew the stuff in this.

Mabakza

#21 Post by Mabakza »

Really good game...

i keep wondering though,.. is it possible to redo the game with little changes and no new art, and have the flash back, but the difference is heather was in a place where she was able to escape like the lobby, elevator, or something. If not, its still a good game. Made me want to use Ren'Py VN engine.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#22 Post by PyTom »

Mabakza wrote:i keep wondering though,.. is it possible to redo the game with little changes and no new art, and have the flash back, but the difference is heather was in a place where she was able to escape like the lobby, elevator, or something.
While anything's possible, I don't see this happening. I think it would be a massive change to the game, and I'm not sure why we would want to do that.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

#23 Post by Guest »

PyTom wrote: While anything's possible, I don't see this happening. I think it would be a massive change to the game, and I'm not sure why we would want to do that.
ok,.. i was alsow wondering two things... can i do a 'omake' of it, and can i use some of the backgrounds for a VN i'm might make with one of my friends...

Mabakza

#24 Post by Mabakza »

sorry i forgot to put the username,.. i'll have to register when i have time

Puppychow

#25 Post by Puppychow »

PyTom wrote:
Mabakza wrote:i keep wondering though,.. is it possible to redo the game with little changes and no new art, and have the flash back, but the difference is heather was in a place where she was able to escape like the lobby, elevator, or something.
While anything's possible, I don't see this happening. I think it would be a massive change to the game, and I'm not sure why we would want to do that.
It is indeed a major change in the story, and you would have to adjust the plot accordingly. The flashbacks took place due to her death, and you would have to take that out. And you'll probably need to add new materials in place to keep the story moving.

Puppychow

#26 Post by Puppychow »

Anonymous wrote: ok,.. i was alsow wondering two things... can i do a 'omake' of it, and can i use some of the backgrounds for a VN i'm might make with one of my friends...
Yes, and yes. Since I'm the only who took the original photos (not the stock material), you should check w/ me re: backgrounds. If the image you want happen to be a stock photo, I can direct you to the page online with the material. PM me on the backgrounds plz. :)

Puppychow

#27 Post by Puppychow »

Reflection wrote:Jarkota, that's sad for you, but glad that you liked the project. Hope you feel better, and I plan on making a few fictional stories in this format in the future, but it'll take me a while, due to me wanting to do it much more involved than the way I drew the stuff in this.
Is this before or after Grateful Days? :twisted:

Mabakza

#28 Post by Mabakza »

Puppychow wrote: It is indeed a major change in the story, and you would have to adjust the plot accordingly. The flashbacks took place due to her death, and you would have to take that out. And you'll probably need to add new materials in place to keep the story moving.
i already have an idea on how to keep them.. all i have to do is just hope it makes sense,

basically i just hope to redo a the chapters after the memories, and the last phone call from heather

does anyone know an answer to this question: can people be in a coma for a few days to a few weeks, and can falling hard on your head can cause it, if not what would it be called

Mabakza

#29 Post by Mabakza »

Puppychow wrote: Yes, and yes. Since I'm the only who took the original photos (not the stock material), you should check w/ me re: backgrounds. If the image you want happen to be a stock photo, I can direct you to the page online with the material. PM me on the backgrounds plz. :)
i'm sorry i dont use any IMs, can you send the link to my email

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#30 Post by dizzcity »

Mabakza wrote: does anyone know an answer to this question: can people be in a coma for a few days to a few weeks, and can falling hard on your head can cause it, if not what would it be called
According to the Wikipedia article, at least, a few days to a few weeks is the common duration of a coma. :) There are actually different levels of coma - it's better to think of it as a range, rather than a yes/no kind of condition. From what I can figure out, yes, a coma can be caused by injury to the head, although more common factors seem to be chemical or psychological disorders in the brain. Also, contrary to what you see in movies, people don't just "wake up" from coma... they usually recover consciousness and use of their body gradually.

Actually, it seems that the coma, when resulting from an injury to the head, may actually be a good thing, as it lets the brain go on "stand-by" mode while it focuses on recovering. It's one of the body's own self-healing mechanisms for brain injury (sort of like how a fever is the body's self-defence against germ infection). Of course, sometimes the brain has just suffered too much damage to continue functioning properly, so comas aren't always signs that the brain is repairing itself.

Other kinds of things you might want to look up are "vegetative state", "stroke", and "catatonic stupor", which are slightly different medical conditions similar to comas.

Hope that helps.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).