Leave the Room [puzzle][escape]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

Leave the Room [puzzle][escape]

#1 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

I randomly decided last week to take a break from what I've been doing and makes some puzzle games in renpy for one of my friends. These were made for a specific friend of mine, but I figure other people might also like them.

titles
part1 Leave the Room
part2 Leave the Hallway
part3 Leave the Living Room

I made it in three parts for no particular reason.

story- a social recluse decides to go outside for the first time in a year. Unfortunately, for reasons he can't remember, he made a complex system for keeping himself inside. oops.

the controls are pretty simple. click the arrows to move. click on things to pick them up or look at them. drag items from the inventory to use them. it should be noted that the first two don't allow you to click things while your inventory is up. This is just because I didn't bother fixing that until the third part, and I didn't feel like converting the first two.

the first two parts are significantly easier than the third. this is because the friend I made them for had the nerve to tell me my puzzles were too easy.

download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmalllf56t37i ... l.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5lsuvhvhvxz2 ... l.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wovwiaxfdysd ... l.zip?dl=0

(download edited 1-29-2016 after someone messaged me asking for a link. Hopefully these ones won't die anytime soon...)

if anyone needs help or if anyone is curious about how something works, feel free to ask. Good luck.

edit 2-21-2012:
oops. my friends just informed me of some errors in part 3 that my testing didn't catch. I just updated the link. unfortunately, though, one of them is an error that I can't reproduce. if you open the inventory and an error pops up just click ignore and then click the left or right arrow on the inventory slab.

next time I try to be more thorough when testing...
Last edited by KimiYoriBaka on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

Re: Leave the Room [puzzle][escape]

#2 Post by Crocosquirrel »

KimiYoriBaka wrote: if anyone needs help or if anyone is curious about how something works, feel free to ask. Good luck.
Not until I break a keyboard with too much *headdesk* :D

Always good to see something new!
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Mild Curry
Regular
Projects: That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#3 Post by Mild Curry »

Converting to base 3 is not easy! T-T Especially when there's a 3 and 4 in there throwing you off...
I was able to beat the first two (with a little bit of cheating ^^') but I'm stumped by the stupid maze (even with cheating!).

Nifty bit of coding though.

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

I'm stumped by the stupid maze
some tips:
-before entering, look at all three of the maps and use the screenshot button or printscreen button to copy them. that way you can look at all three at once and plan ahead.

-figure out which of the green spots is the exit and work backwards. if you have to enter the maze to do so, just don't go too far, and when you get out, close the door and another one to reset the door puzzle (so you can see map c).

-it helps if you can figure out what the grey spaces represent. 8)

WendyB

#5 Post by WendyB »

I am stuck on part 1. Solved the sliding puzzle to get the yellow object, found 11 of the paper scraps, saw the code in the drawer but not sure what it's for. I am obviously missing many of the clues to solving the rest of the puzzles. Just a hint would be fantastic!

Thanks!

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

very well, a hint:
you've already got enough pieces to solve the puzzle with the "paper scraps" (which were meant to seem like jigsaw puzzle pieces, graphics lol). it wasn't meant to be complete.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Alex »

I like this kind of games and you made an interesting one - puzzles are great!...))
But I feel my self dumb... :evil: I was able to solve the first part by looking through the script, and still don't understand how could I get password for comp and find numeric password (I get "806" using "paper scraps"). Second and third parts - unbeaten. So, could I ask for more tips? :roll:

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

how could I get password for comp and find numeric password (I get "806" using "paper scraps")
err...yeah, sorry about that one. apparently my clue makes no sense to anyone else.
"jpx2" was supposed to be telling you to multiply the 806 by two. then, once you open the door, there's a sign that says "do it later" with each letter rotated 180 degrees
as for the other two parts, the only things about the second part that I was trying to stump anyone on was the use of the same item to do multiple things, and the use of "base" in the mathematical sense, which some of my friends that played wouldn't be able to deal with. if you need help with that one, you'll need to specify what you can't figure out.

for the third one, pretty much all the puzzles have hints in the robot's dialogue, as long as you can figure out which line to use.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Alex »

Thanks for reply - I've sent you PM...))

OnchoPoncho

#10 Post by OnchoPoncho »

I got through the first one somehow :D
So, on the second one,
I got the number input 1212 <--- (after I started trying every input from 1111 lolol) and I got to the lever.... I solved all the other puzzles in the hallway (key, the smiley, password is a trick, 50 (starting in base 10)) but I can't figure out what the "all spots are full" & "But what Base?" & the levers & especially the bookcase with __ x ( __ + __ ) x ( __ - __ ) Are we supposed to put something there? Are these 5 somethings supposed to used in logs? (Cuz there was something about base 10 and frankly, logs are the only thing that comes to my mind >__>)
Or am I over-analyzing this? OTL

Code: Select all

public void thingsILikeToDo(){
	if(!haveWork) { //never runs for some reason
		this.draw();
		this.bake();
		this.sleep();
	}
	else
		this.sleep(); //probably why haveWork is always true
}

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

ah. you're not the first person to get stuck with that
"base" is referring to the number of digits in a number system. it seems this isn't as well known as I'd thought. if you're at all familiar with binary or hexidecimal, these are example (binary being base 2 and hexidecimal being base 16). the hint around the door was referring to the numpad, so when the lever say to do it again, they're referring to converting a number, as was supposed to be the solution to the numpad.

the 5 spots on the shelf are for the 5 numbered balls on the other side of the last door

Ziassan
Veteran

#12 Post by Ziassan »

Finished the Hallway, being somewhat into maths & bases etc. it was not too difficult. I tried the first one but I found it harder, the first sliding puzzle got on my nerves ahah.
You make all your pictures with paint ? Courageous enough.

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

You make all your pictures with paint ? Courageous enough.
about that...

I made these with a certain person in mind, trying not to take any more time than necessary. Since the person in question doesn't really care about graphics as long as they look like what they're supposed to.

as it happens, I'm a lot better at drawing organic objects such as people, rather than geometric objects, so drawing anything in this game by hand would've been a major hassle. what's more, most modern image editing programs don't include the line tool, which is the easiest tool for perspective. this made paint the best tool, especially for the maze walls. however, I still had to use paint.net for transparency, which was annoying

OnchoPoncho

#14 Post by OnchoPoncho »

Ohhhh I see owo
Sorry, quick question >__<
Then are levers supposed to be binary? (Since there's either up/down representing 1/0?) Also, am I supposed to find another number for the levers?

Code: Select all

public void thingsILikeToDo(){
	if(!haveWork) { //never runs for some reason
		this.draw();
		this.bake();
		this.sleep();
	}
	else
		this.sleep(); //probably why haveWork is always true
}

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

It is binary, yes. however, there's no reason to think the number to convert is different. actually all three of the math puzzles use the same number