DSE Plus - "The Game"

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

DSE Plus - "The Game"

#1 Post by mugenjohncel »

I've been resisting the urge to post here but I'm at my limit...

OK so the original DSE while itself complete I'll have to admit that I "did" cut some corners to get it out in time since I was so busy during those times and I was worried that if I didn't release it by December last year... it will be doomed to further release delays... resulted in well... this...

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 28#p170828

Now fast forward several weeks from release... with the help from various people who PM'd me sample codes (thank you everyone!), begging Renpytom in IRC (apologies) "and" by uh... peeking inside the data guts of "a certain Christian VN" (I'm not gonna tell :mrgreen: )... I managed to increase my renpy arsenal of tricks almost threefold... not much considering what I know before but still more than enough progress to encourage me to try them out...

That plus the fact that I now have "two" equally powerful machine which I can render farm to speed up renders plus the chance discovery of a rather obscure "preset" in my favorite renderer that will churn "almost" hand drawn delicious backgrounds with less effort... OK, so the newer backgrounds took longer to render than the previous one but it sure looked a lot better! I now also have "TWO" full script for a side story featuring the Glasses Girl which is more than double the actual DSE game...

Time to restart this project and this time... "NO MORE CUTTING CORNERS!"

I'll use and edit this thread to update you my loyal fans of UNCLE MUGEN :mrgreen: with progress and updates... (OH YES! I CAN FLY!)

But there is a slight chance that UNCLE MUGEN cannot do it alone and might ask for assistance in the coloring department (sprite and CG's) using simple two tone anime style... I'll male the call once things get out of hand...

But for now... a teaser... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears... I talk too much today...)

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: DSE Plus - "The Game"

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I'm incredibly excited! The new background is exciting! I love your backgrounds. ^_^
I guess I've got another thread to stalk...
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#3 Post by silenteve »

The new background is fantastic :D I'm so excited for this game's release!
Good luck with your project!
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#4 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Looks like an interesting suburb. I'd certainly like to see downtown... Or maybe some dorms?
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#5 Post by mugenjohncel »

OK sprite teaser... :mrgreen: No more revisions on this one... this is the final sprite... though I still did cut some corners like sticking to the usual 2 shade coloring to save time... Lol!...

( Pulls out several prepared excuses in case... :mrgreen: )
DarkSpartan wrote:I'd certainly like to see downtown...
Err... I'm still modeling a few more filler buildings... can't use the old one since nor can we use the ones on 3d warehouse... this scene will be re-used for several projects (Ours, Sepia Tears, DSE - Plus and Lamest of Lame) so I'm taking my time filling it with as much detail as possible like electrical distribution lines and so forth...
DarkSpartan wrote:Or maybe some dorms?
While the new renderer produces awesome exterior scenes... I'm still trying to figure how to make this renderer produce anime like interior backgrounds... all interior renders ended up being too dark and drawing them manually is a big No-No...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#6 Post by Fawn »

Hmm, the newer background seems a little less colorful... The nice thing about the first one was that it had more atmosphere due to the sunlight gradient you added on top. I suggest adding a little more effects to make it more atmospheric.

I love the new sprite style, though in honesty it could benefit from some more shade variation and her feet's perspective is a little questionable (though, what would I know about drawing feet haha)

Can't wait for the new release. :)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#7 Post by mugenjohncel »

Sprite teaser :mrgreen: ... this time for the Sporty Girl... I finally get the chance to put Ponytail on her... now that I'm done with the sprites... time to update the CG's (Ugh... this will be a lot of work)

"POOF" (Disappears)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#8 Post by mugenjohncel »

Not much to report for now... so posting screenshots of possible final "look"... the BG's just keeps getting better and better... now if only my drawings could improve to match the BG's :(

Putting Trees, Plants and Loaded Electrical Distribution Posts in one image sure is a deadly combination resulting in this rather good looking BG...

While 3D gives you the convenience of being able to use and reuse the same BG over and over again... adding additional lights besides Global Illumination will increase render (and waiting) time... in this case, from 1 minute and 30 something seconds to 15 minutes and who knows how many more seconds... oh and by the way... those beautiful traffic light effect is made possible by Photoshop's "LENS FLARE" :mrgreen:

You can't have a Studio Mugenjohncel game without Uncle Mugen... I barely fit inside the dialogue box... better lose weight soon... Lol! :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#9 Post by mugenjohncel »

Update!

So the main menu is now animated using move, dissolve and scale... OK, I'm just kidding... it's not since I don't know how to even properly scale images in renpy so... I just used frame by frame animation and take advantage of Ren'py's Animation function resulting in this 20fps, 60 frame animation using JPEG's of lowest quality... (Hey... it's not pretty but it does the job :mrgreen: )

[youtube]ha8Xxuv_suE?hd=1[/youtube]

And every single menu in DSE will be animated the same way and will most likely result in a game with a large amount of images... :lol:

"POOF" (Disappears)

Nightydreams
Regular
Projects: The Saddest Music In The World

#10 Post by Nightydreams »

This thread... I'ma stalk it.
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.

-Alexander. Infinity Ocean
Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
- Terro, The Saddest Music In The World

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#11 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Nice to see things are proceeding. Are we going to maybe see more of you around the office?
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Endorphin
Veteran

#12 Post by Endorphin »

Adorable. :>
It's nice to see things progressing~

Hmmm... But to be honest, I'm a little confused by the ponytail of the girl.
Her hair is pretty "short", but when she pulls it up (and pretty high by the looks of it) it's nearly as long?
If I measure it with my hands it seems right, but by just looking at it it seems... wrong.
(I dunno - maybe because her hair isn't that full at the back?)
But it's probably just me.

However, I like your art - it's really pretty and so clean. :>

- R.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#13 Post by mugenjohncel »

Hopefully this will be the final bg-cg for the Visual Novel project DSE for the Noon Segment and features several typical pedestrian overpass bridges. Where I came from, these pedestrian bridges are a common sight though I still wonder why so many of my fellow filipinos are stubborn to use them and instead jaywalk most of the time putting themselves and others at risk… but that's another story... :mrgreen:

Ehem… anyway… I Uncle Mugen will not hoard this precious resource to myself and will share to you this somewhat detailed pedestrian overpass in case you needed one for your Google Sketchup derived BG-CG’s for use in your OELVN (Visual Novel) projects…

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 56e69e77b3

That's all for now...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Asterisk
Regular

#14 Post by Asterisk »

Ugh your girls are so so so cute!
This looks so amazing so far!
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#15 Post by mugenjohncel »

UPDATE... and a massive one...

So I finally figured out how to make a separate Russian GUI show up on Ren'py together with the English one... it's kinda complicated but it goes like this...

Guess this is one of the advantages of screen based Ren'py GUI... of course for some odd reason adding a second set of GUI hit frame rate really REALLY BAD... I don't know but I suspect Ren'py loads both sets of animated transition for the english and the russian one... another thing is you can save in english and it will also show up in the russian GUI but there's nothing we can do about it given the limitations of the imagemap system...

Last but not the least is every single logo from every collaborator in this game will be animated... like this...

[youtube]vUGJycc9-TA?version=3&rel=0&theme=light&loop=1&hd=1&playlist=vUGJycc9-TA[/youtube]

"POOF" (Disappears and uh... sorry about the third frog... I just can't resist :mrgreen: )

Edit: Wish I could find a better font for the Russian GUI or perhaps a shorten the Extras Section... oh well...