Curse of the Caribbean [GxB][Supernatural][NaNoReNo 2012]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

Curse of the Caribbean [GxB][Supernatural][NaNoReNo 2012]

#1 Post by Morishita »

Completed Thread is here

Link to Official Website Page w/downloads

After brainstorming idea's with my sister and doing some research and turning my idea over and over in my head I finally have a short and I believe simple visual novel for this year's NaNoReNo.
Synopsis:
Desireã is spending a week at her grandmother's house to help her prepare for the village's annual summer festival. It's a time where the small village comes together and play games, watch dances and eat lots and lots of food. This will be her first year attending the festival and she is stoked about it but there has been strange rumors going around that the festival isn't just for the people to have fun and play. It's actually here to take people's mind off of a cursed that was apparently placed on the village. Unfortunately that is all that Desireã knows and because of her extreme curiosity she can't sit still, until she finds out what kind of curse was placed on the village and why.

*I really tried my best at making this a short synopsis but I hope you are able to understand most of it ^^;*

So in this story you will be finding about the origin's of the curse and you can either choose to break the curse or ignore it but there will be consequence for your actions and you might fall victim to the curse so tread carefully.

Here is Desireã's design and my idea for the logo design. I usually do logo's in illustrator but I'm on my other computer so this one was done in paint tool sai and I don't really understand enough about the program to be able to do it in a clean vector base kind of way though I know that it is possible.:
She is a kind hearted girl but very curious and can be a bit short tempered and with a quick tongue.
She is a kind hearted girl but very curious and can be a bit short tempered and with a quick tongue.
There will be three guys total in the story that you meet but there is more to them than meets the eye. I will update one of there designs after I get done coloring in the sketch. I hope to be back with another update later today. I worked really hard to get my comic work done so that I can play and color this in today! I'm totally pulling an all nighter tonight ^^ *I love friday's.*
Thank you for viewing this everyone and I'll be back.
Last edited by Morishita on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Curse of the Caribbean [GxB][Supernatural][NaNoReNo 2012

#2 Post by Camille »

This looks awesome! The premise and setting are unique and I love your art style, as well. <3 Looking forward to this! Good luck finishing. :3

Asterisk
Regular

#3 Post by Asterisk »

This looks good so far!
Very interesting~ good luck to you!
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

Morishita
Veteran

#4 Post by Morishita »

Camille wrote:This looks awesome! The premise and setting are unique and I love your art style, as well. <3 Looking forward to this! Good luck finishing. :3
Thank you very much. I thought that a tropical story setting would be a lot of fun to do ^^
Asterisk wrote:This looks good so far!
Very interesting~ good luck to you!
Thank you Asterisk~

Okay I'm back with another update. I have one of the sprites for the game finished I just have to do some of the emotions. After that I have another sprite to try to finish today that I wasn't able to and then do the sprite that is assigned for tomorrow.
There was a reason why I have him with such bright colors but I wasn't sure if I tell the reason why or not but let me know what your thoughts are on his design.

With the background I wanted to go ahead and just do my own. It doesn't take me to long. I'm happy with how this turned out. I'll end up posting up an idea for the gui that I have. I'm not the best with coding and I am still really a newbie at it but I will try my best to customize as much as I can with the amount of time I have.
My background done in Sai.
My background done in Sai.
Last edited by Morishita on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ginger
Regular

#5 Post by Ginger »

Uwah, he's so pretty! I personally like his design and the bright colors. I'm a sucker for blue hair and ponytails, so I like him very much. I don't think it's necessary to give out to much information, considering it's going to be a shorter game. The less you tell the more room for surprises we have(: Good luck!

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#6 Post by Mink »

I like him, but I feel like his hair is a bit shiny compared to the rest of him. Of course, shiny shading/not shiney is probably more of a personal preference sort of thing.

And I wish I could raw backgrounds like you. Or...at all.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Morishita
Veteran

#7 Post by Morishita »

Ginger wrote:Uwah, he's so pretty! I personally like his design and the bright colors. I'm a sucker for blue hair and ponytails, so I like him very much. I don't think it's necessary to give out to much information, considering it's going to be a shorter game. The less you tell the more room for surprises we have(: Good luck!
Thank you Ginger! That's a very good point and for some reason that totally slipped my mind about keeping things secret because the length of the game is so short. I really hope to surprise at least a few people with the game but we will see what happens ^^;
Mink wrote:I like him, but I feel like his hair is a bit shiny compared to the rest of him. Of course, shiny shading/not shiney is probably more of a personal preference sort of thing.

And I wish I could raw backgrounds like you. Or...at all.
Thank you Mink and I totally understand what you mean. I tend to lean more towards shiny art. It's like a mouth to a light kind of thing but I can always go back and take off a couple lines of the shine because I don't want it to clash to much and some of the shine was kind of off putting to me but I didn't know if that was because I was staring at the screen so long or not ^^;
Background can be kind of tedious but once you get the hang of it they aren't that overwhelming. I actually really enjoy doing backgrounds, though I still want to learn more about color theory and shadow placement.

Morishita
Veteran

#8 Post by Morishita »

I wanted to finish this yesterday but I wasn't able to but I'm happy to finally have it done now :D
This is the second boy that you can interact with in the game. I haven't come up with names for them but when I do I'll update this with his name....or you can just find it out in the game ^^
I really like how his design turned out. I already have his whole path typed up so now I only have the other two's path's to type up and I plan on finishing at least one of them tonight. The game won't be terribly long but I hope you can enjoy it still.
had to fix eyes so I re-uploaded it ^^;
had to fix eyes so I re-uploaded it ^^;
I'm starting to change my style just a little when it comes to eyes. I think I like this style of eyes for the guys a lot better then the style that I had before. I just need to get that perfect blend between the two and I should be happy.
After that I have one last sprite to do then on wards to the backgrounds and cg events.
Okay that's all for now. I'll be back soon with another update.

*I'm not looking forward to coding the game because trying to customize the preference's is really kicking my but. I think I have it figured out but we will see what happens with the code after the game has been released.*

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#9 Post by clua »

Morishita wrote:I wanted to finish this yesterday but I wasn't able to but I'm happy to finally have it done now :D
This is the second boy that you can interact with in the game. I haven't come up with names for them but when I do I'll update this with his name....or you can just find it out in the game ^^
I really like how his design turned out. I already have his whole path typed up so now I only have the other two's path's to type up and I plan on finishing at least one of them tonight. The game won't be terribly long but I hope you can enjoy it still.
boy2.png
I'm starting to change my style just a little when it comes to eyes. I think I like this style of eyes for the guys a lot better then the style that I had before. I just need to get that perfect blend between the two and I should be happy.
After that I have one last sprite to do then on wards to the backgrounds and cg events.
Okay that's all for now. I'll be back soon with another update.

*I'm not looking forward to coding the game because trying to customize the preference's is really kicking my but. I think I have it figured out but we will see what happens with the code after the game has been released.*
nnggh...black messy hair is my weakness...I like the design of Desirea too, In fact Im glad to see more dark skinned MC.(They are cute IMO)Good luck with your project ;D!
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

Morishita
Veteran

#10 Post by Morishita »

clua wrote:nnggh...black messy hair is my weakness...I like the design of Desirea too, In fact Im glad to see more dark skinned MC.(They are cute IMO)Good luck with your project ;D!
Thank you. I'm glad to know that you like her design. ^^

Okay I had to delete my last post because I didn't like the colors that I had for the sprite so I went ahead and re-edited the colors for the last boy sprite. Here is the finished product.

Also I was able to finally finish another background. I had such a hard time doing the rocks but I think they turned out very well. Once you get the hang of it, doing rocks does get a little easier but I was really mad while I was starting it out. Anyways here is another background scene of the game. I still have a few more background scenes that I need to do so I'll be back later with another update soon :D
Attachments
cape.png
Last edited by Morishita on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morishita
Veteran

#11 Post by Morishita »

I just wanted to pop in a post up a new background that I finished for the game. This one is the sunset/ evening scene. There will be a morning, evening and night scene in the game. I don't really have much else to say so I'll have to come back later with another update on another background. Thank you for viewing ^^
evening.png

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#12 Post by Blane Doyle »

Why didn't I pay more attention to this thread before? I LOVE this idea and the art is beautiful! Looking forward to more.

Morishita
Veteran

#13 Post by Morishita »

Bane Reiko wrote:Why didn't I pay more attention to this thread before? I LOVE this idea and the art is beautiful! Looking forward to more.
Aww~ Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm happy that you like my idea and art. I was getting a little worried that I wasn't doing a very good job with my backgrounds but I feel a little better after finishing this one because it actually looks like a sunset. I should do more silhouette illustrations^^

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#14 Post by Tag- »

You know, you really have the most gorgeous art~ I love how Disirea looks, and the clothing you've drawn for all the characters are stunning too :D And of course, the backgrounds are just amazing. I particularly love the colours you've used in the sunset scene.

The setting of this VN seems quite interesting and promising :) Wishing you the best of luck for completion :mrgreen:
PM me if needed

Morishita
Veteran

#15 Post by Morishita »

Tag- wrote:You know, you really have the most gorgeous art~ I love how Disirea looks, and the clothing you've drawn for all the characters are stunning too :D And of course, the backgrounds are just amazing. I particularly love the colours you've used in the sunset scene.

The setting of this VN seems quite interesting and promising :) Wishing you the best of luck for completion :mrgreen:
Thank you so much Tag- I actually have a really hard time coming up with outfit designs and I though that theirs looked a little bit boring but its reassuring to know that it turned out well. Right now the sunset scene is my favorite scene too ^^; I think it's mostly because of the high contrast of colors but hopefully I can pull of a pretty looking night scene for the next background. I believe there are 3 or 2 more backgrounds that still need to be done.

With the cg event's I wasn't sure what would be considered the bare minimal. Like some people will have a cg of when you first meet the boys and then the cg of the first skinship between the boys then the last cg of the ending with which ever boy. I wonder how people actually choose what needs to be a cg event and what doesn't? Then again I haven't played many visual novels just more so PlayStation and Nintendo games.
I could only do 1 cg event for each boy but I'm lean more towards giving each one 3 cg events....that is if I have enough time of course ^^;