Ori, Ochi, Onoe.

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Boch

#211 Post by Boch »

My first post. Woot!

I especially liked the art in this game, but was also impressed by the encircling menu items. Very cool.

Managed to reach one of the endings for Ochi, the only ending for Onoe, the bad ending (seven? can't remember), and the Ori, Ochi ending (full/true ending?).

Can't seem to find the Ori ending though. I could help use some help please.

llirium

Translation Fun

#212 Post by llirium »

Eheh. I was trolling for spoilers (though they didn't do much good ^_^; ) and found the link to the Japanese mini-review of O3.

After at least 4 hours of looking up things on the WWWJDIC and Jeffrey's Japanese-English Dictionary server back and forth, I *think* I've gotten a decent translation.

I even looked up grammar, which I hate in either language. :P Seriously, I liked learning what he *really* said, more or less. :)

Well, here it is! Stuff in italics and in [] square brackets are my own notes and additions to clarify meanings and *NOT FROM THE ORIGINAL PAGE*.

Translation by llirium@yahoo.com from
http://www.imasy.or.jp/~hir/hir/logon/200608b.html#1901
~~~~
2006/08/19 (sat) A Brief Note

An introduction to a foreign-made visual novel (Game, English)

** The game called Ori, Ochi, Onoe. has been released. From the foreign volunteer group ATP Projects, whom create visual novels. (The site not only has a Bishoujo Game database and related forum, but make their own manga and games to distribute to the public for free) My first impressions were that the character art was of (for a free game) good quality. Even as much as the real thing [a commercially produced game]. Even though production started around 2004, it looks like the work of ten [people? a rating?] There isn't any clear description, but the subject matter is on the adult side.

** Win/Mac/Linux are supported, but there's also a Windows installer to download. Approx. 85MB. There's also a Bittorrent file, but a regular download is faster. It installed quickly, but I still took around 15 minutes to be able to understand the parts I could easily read.

* The option screen UI was quite well done. Quite a good effect!
* I really got into the music, too. The quality exceeded my expectations.
* I wouldn't mind if a story in English didn't have very Japanese names or places. The names of the three title characters seem to relate to their personalities, but how does Onoe fit into that?
* Does it really take around an hour to play through?

** I read through it a little faster.

** (BIG LAUGHS!)

** For how many Erotic Games did I do that? (LAUGHS!)
[I'm mostly guessing on what he means for this line]

** From the reminescience scene, suddenly you end up in bed in the present. It was wonderfully engrossing. I tried to read [English] as best I could. And got 9 endings. How long is it? I didn't think I'd ever finish it.

** It was created using the Ren'Py Engine. Because of using Python, perhaps they used the word "Ren'ai" and it would be read like: "Ren'Bye". It's Open Source. And even Trac. 2.0 style. [I don't know what the 2.0 means] As for the "Visual Novel " format, I'm very surprised that it's come so far outside of Japan. I hope this growth will continue.

* Of course, my main criticism is, there's a bit of awkwardness when you see anime-styled art from a Japanese person's point of view. [Because we're foreigners and draw anime?] Perhaps they didn't think to make a more accesible art design?

* The main plot of the story was revealed [only] at the end.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#213 Post by monele »

Woaaa :). Now that's cool :D. Except he seems to think it's an ero game ^^;...

llirium

#214 Post by llirium »

monele wrote:Woaaa :). Now that's cool :D. Except he seems to think it's an ero game ^^;...
I think the ero game comment is vague at best, but I don't think it's in reference to O3.

Thanks for the vote of coolness. ^^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#215 Post by mikey »

Boch wrote:Managed to reach one of the endings for Ochi, the only ending for Onoe, the bad ending (seven? can't remember), and the Ori, Ochi ending (full/true ending?).
Can't seem to find the Ori ending though. I could help use some help please.
Well, for your eyes only, here is the solution:
When in the game, press SHIFT+W, and you'll get a message saying Ending 10/9. Look into the directory where you installed the game to find a PDF file with help.
Enjoy. Although, you've pretty much cleared the game anyway. :wink:

llirium >> Thanks a lot for the translation! :P
The names of the girls do not, sadly, refer to their personalities, they just begin with an "o". But of course, there's always "oči" - the names had a different origin.
As for the eroge... I think that Ori Ochi Onoe is more about sexuality than erotica. But the classification is individual and I don't mind.

Boch

#216 Post by Boch »

Thanks, mikey =)
Now I can reach the missing endings.

#217 Post by Guest »

mikey wrote:llirium >> Thanks a lot for the translation! :P
The names of the girls do not, sadly, refer to their personalities, they just begin with an "o". But of course, there's always "oči" - the names had a different origin.
As for the eroge... I think that Ori Ochi Onoe is more about sexuality than erotica. But the classification is individual and I don't mind.
I wholeheartedly agree, but would more put it as sensuality. By experiencing each other on a physical level is how Yoshiyuki and Ochi understand each other best. It's the sense of touch, but probably also scent and sight. Maybe even a 'sixth' sense, as a lot of the comments Yoshiyuki makes seem more intuitive to the situaiton than based on logic. He.. just knows. :)

And I'd thought that "Ochi", as a beginner-moderate student of Japanese language, was maybe related to the "yama nashi, <b>ochi</b> nashi, imi nashi" (lit. no climax, no point, no meaning) of "yaoi". Maybe that's what he meant by it. ^^

You're also perfectly welcome. I probably would have done this just for myself, as I was curious about what a native Japanese would think of a visual novel.

Oh, and I found the walkthrough and the endings.. think I must have assumed things would go a certain way sometimes in the game and restarted early, because all save ending #3 was really missing. It's done now. ^^

Thanks for creating a thought-provoking game like this. :)

llirium

#218 Post by llirium »

mikey wrote:llirium >> Thanks a lot for the translation! :P
The names of the girls do not, sadly, refer to their personalities, they just begin with an "o". But of course, there's always "oci" - the names had a different origin.
I wholeheartedly agree, but would more put it as sensuality. By experiencing each other on a physical level is how Yoshiyuki and Ochi understand each other best. It's the sense of touch, but probably also scent and sight. Maybe even a 'sixth' sense, as a lot of the comments Yoshiyuki makes seem more intuitive to the situaiton than based on logic. He.. just knows. :)

And I'd thought that "Ochi", as a beginner-moderate student of Japanese language, was maybe related to the "yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi" (lit. no climax, no point, no meaning) of "yaoi". Maybe that's what he meant by it. ^^

You're also perfectly welcome. I probably would have done this just for myself, as I was curious about what a native Japanese would think of a visual novel.

Oh, and I found the walkthrough and the endings.. think I must have assumed things would go a certain way sometimes in the game and restarted early, because all save ending #3 was really missing. It's done now. ^^

Thanks for creating a thought-provoking game like this. :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#219 Post by mikey »

Thanks a lot, to be honest I was a little worried about the response in this aspect - typically we make romantic games, and O3 is mainly centered on the physical aspect (sure the whole story has also an emotional one, but the game primarily tells the sensual part). And the fact that Yoshiyuki does not feel that being only physical is bad, at least for me, it was that bit of a departure from the usual viewpoint. So in this respect I was really pleased that people never complained about the game's emphasis on the physical side. This said, I was worried with River Trap as well, that was also very much uncharted territory with Shizuka and AKEMI.

So I guess I'm trying to say that it's really great that people are able to enjoy such things, shows that there is a space for games and stories beyond the highschool-lost-memory-time-shift-childhood-promise scenario. I do enjoy a classic sweet story, why not - but it's encouraging that you can let the conventions go if you want, and make something different, and your audience isn't going to dismiss it because it has no big kiss at the end, or because the girl doesn't tragically die with touching final words.
llirium wrote:And I'd thought that "Ochi", as a beginner-moderate student of Japanese language, was maybe related to the "yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi" (lit. no climax, no point, no meaning) of "yaoi". Maybe that's what he meant by it. ^^
Well, it looked like "ori" meant something as well, that only "onoe" seemed out of place - it's a nice speculation, admittedly, but I usually try to discourage speculations - I don't like it in stories. Open endings and the like. So the maximum I can say is that Ochi means eyes, and Ori is a similar name because she is her sister, and that Onoe is just a name with an "o" to make it three. And maybe it's a bit that I like names with a vowel, even better, a sequence of vowels. But nothing more. Not to mention that yaoi thing, to explain WHY that would make sense, a tall order... ^_^

Foton

#220 Post by Foton »

I just noticed...

The 'w's are for 'warau' (laugh), equivalent to our lol.

I knew there's a hidden help somewhere! Thank you Mikey!
"Let us to't pell-mell; if not to heaven, then hand-in-hand to hell"

llirium
Regular
Projects: Aurora Fall (editor, as Xyllirium)

#221 Post by llirium »

Foton wrote:I just noticed...

The 'w's are for 'warau' (laugh), equivalent to our lol.
Yep.. I learned that by playing Final Fantasy XI in the wee hours of the morning, when lots of Japanese gamers were on. ^_^;

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Translation Fun

#222 Post by Adorya »

llirium wrote: * Of course, my main criticism is, there's a bit of awkwardness when you see anime-styled art from a Japanese person's point of view. [Because we're foreigners and draw anime?] Perhaps they didn't think to make a more accesible art design?
Maybe this mean that "accessible design" mean more realistic lineart. I remember japanese friends saying that they would rather prefer see original design in gaijin art, different from what they can see everyday in their own country.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#223 Post by DaFool »

That's the main irony with OEL. The non-Japanese want it to look more Japanese, and *surprise surprise* the Japanese may in fact prefer for it to look more western.

A very beautiful example of western lineart is what Jake drew in one of his recent posts.

The thing is, before I got into anime, I found drawing very very difficult. The realistic, muscular tones you see in Marvel and DC comics are not something I'm used to. The main reason I like Japanese style is how there is more 'posture' with less lineart. Thus I can draw adults without having to exhaust every principle of Life Drawing 101.

And Japanese style is very diverse...I like to make references of anything by Studio 4C, anything superflat, and my personal favorites, seinen works drawn by female mangakas, as these often do away with the stereotypical spikeyness of conventional manga / anime while at the same time taking care not too look too shoujo. "Just right" is how I put it.

It just so happens that there are many Japanese artists whom I admire and can't help but want to imitate / or be influenced by. Range Murata is an example. I'm sure they in turn are influenced by western artists.

So in the end, just do the style which you do best. This applies to stories too. (Example, someone from England should be able to pull off a Hellsing or better.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#224 Post by mikey »

DaFool wrote:That's the main irony with OEL. The non-Japanese want it to look more Japanese, and *surprise surprise* the Japanese may in fact prefer for it to look more western.
Yet, generally, and in defence of O3, I have to say the obvious - that OEL games are designed primarily for a Western audience, not for the Japanese. So that kind of brings it round again. And actually, I'm feeling dizzy ^_^

llirium
Regular
Projects: Aurora Fall (editor, as Xyllirium)

#225 Post by llirium »

It was the first time that I've heard that sentiment from a Japanese, wanting to see non-anime art from foreign artists. I thought they might actually be intrigued by the similarities/differences.

But then again, I do see how it could be boring or uninteresting, when you're easily surrounded by that style of art in your daily life.

Just as English makes things seem more interesting to a Japanese, the same works in reverse. :)