Shadowborn (horror, supernatural, mystery, 16+(?)) [2012]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

Shadowborn (horror, supernatural, mystery, 16+(?)) [2012]

#1 Post by MiSi »

Doing this all alone without the artistic help of my sister... :D
The story:
Nicholas is a normal man with a normal life; he lives in a normal village, owns a perfectly normal house, has a normal girlfriend and with her an... unusually quiet son.
As the boy's behaviour turns out to be more and more strange, Nicholas suddenly finds himself searching for the truth. The truth about his own son's offspring and the truth about his girlfriend's obsessions. But what starts as adventure on the occult paths of science, may end even darker than Nicholas could ever imagine...

The characters:
Nicholas
A calm and tidy man doing the household :lol: The MC and about to discover the shocking truth about his perfect seeming world.

ImageImage
Sabrina
Nicholas' girlfriend and scientist. She believes in the existence of creatures named "shadows" who seem to be connected with every living being.

Umber
The son of Nicholas and Sabrina. He's very shy and very quiet, always with a strange look on his face. Sometimes Nicholas can't help but thinking of him not being his son...

Hope, I can add the missing sprites and some more art quickly ;)
*off to get some work done*
Last edited by MiSi on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

MiSi
Veteran
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

Re: Shadowborn (horror, supernatural, mystery, 16+(?)) [2012

#2 Post by MiSi »

Sabrina's sprite is done. Finally.
I'm still messing with the interface... but I'm confident that I can start writing tomorrow ;)

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#3 Post by kaleidofish »

MiSi wrote: Nicholas is a normal man with a normal life; he lives in a normal village, owns a perfectly normal house, has a normal girlfriend and with her an... unusually quiet son.
As the boy's behaviour turns out to be more and more strange, Nicholas suddenly finds himself searching for the truth. The truth about his own son's offspring and the truth about his girlfriend's obsessions. But what starts as adventure on the occult paths of science, may end even darker than Nicholas could ever imagine...
It's ALWAYS the quiet ones, isn't it? Nice main menu screen, it really says horror. As a horror fan, I'd love to play this when it's finished. How twisted are you planning on his occult adventure being? Are we talking paranormal ghost-type of science, or are the shadows more like tangible monsters rather than ghosts? I understand if you don't want to answer that, because that might mess with the mystery of the shadows themselves.

Be sure to show the contrast between his normal life and the horror side. In other words, pull the rug out from under your audience's feet when they least expect it. :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by HigurashiKira »

...horror...
I'm already interested. Though, a small quip art-wise: Their arms are unusually long, unless their legs are long as well. Generally, a person's wrist start near the groin area. Other than that, I've got my eye on you guys....
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

MiSi
Veteran

#5 Post by MiSi »

Thanks for the replies, guys ;)
kaleidofish wrote:It's ALWAYS the quiet ones, isn't it?
Haha, somehow I knew somebody would say that. But Umber really has a reason to be quiet, so... yes, here again it is the quiet one :D
I'm not going to spoil anything here... but the shadows as Sabrina is researching them once were real shadows (the absence of light ;) ) until they turned into something much more human. Why or how this happened...? Ha, I'm not going to tell... yet! (And the final outcome of the story will be surprising enough, I hope ;) )
At least I can say that
Nicholas' "normal" life only seems to him like such. Although it may be a bit odd to others, I'll describe it as normal to him. The reader soon will come up with questions like: "And he really considers this and that as normal? He isn't normal himself! Or is it the rest of the family?"
HigurashiKira wrote:Their arms are unusually long, unless their legs are long as well. Generally, a person's wrist start near the groin area. Other than that, I've got my eye on you guys....
Too long?! How did I do that? Normally I'm the one drawing the extremities of persons too short :lol:
Well, I'm not going to change anything. I still have sprites to finish and I'm not really an artist, so... drawing is killing me!
But let's see: I think I can use your advise for the later art. (Although it doesn't look that bad to me... Maybe, because I tried so desperately not to make the arms too short :lol: )

MiSi
Veteran

#6 Post by MiSi »

Finished Umber's sprite!
Hell yeah, I know that I can't draw children, so what? :lol:

nefferinthia
Regular

#7 Post by nefferinthia »

This sounds really cool so far. It's an interesting premise and I don't see the genre very often so I'll definitely play it~ Keep it up with the art too, digital drawings are so hard and time-consuming, I commend you for doing this if you're not an artist T u T

MiSi
Veteran

#8 Post by MiSi »

@Harumi Fujyoshi: Thanks very much. And yes: Digital drawing is really time consuming o.O

Btw: Uploaded the sprite of the young Sabrina ;)

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#9 Post by Nellie »

Can't believe I didn't notice this any earlier...

Even the short summary has managed to get me all interested. I'm definitely waiting for this release! Good luck! (I'm gonna have to drag a few other victims to play this with me lol)

MiSi
Veteran

#10 Post by MiSi »

@Nellie: Thanks you like it that much already. Hope I can satisfy all expectations ;) (...and scare your poor victims out of their wits :lol: )

MiSi
Veteran

#11 Post by MiSi »

So now as things have turned out... I will not be able to finish this 'til April. There's too much happening recently with me and my whole family. I even rarely find time to check my mails o.O
This of course doesn't mean, I won't finish it at all. I just won't make it for NaNoRenO :(

So I would be glad if someone could move this topic to the general WIP area. Thanks.