2 Main Characters

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
ActionSage
Regular
Projects: LMA

2 Main Characters

#1 Post by ActionSage »

I haven't seen Visual Novels that have more than one main character, but in my project I would like for their to be two playable. Do you think these characters should be able to interact with one another in each others paths or should they be completly seperate from one another?

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: 2 Main Characters

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I think both would work fine, and it depends on what you want. Do what would come naturally from it, and don't force it. Personally, I think the idea of the MCs interacting with each other is an interesting idea, but if it wouldn't happen with the story you're telling, don't force it. Basically, do what fits best for your story. Shoehorn=Bad
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

ActionSage, I don't know how much you've browsed the Visual Novel Database. Please be aware that VNs with more than one main character might be more common than you'd think. There's even a decent number where the player gets to choose the main character at the beginning.

If you want to make a story with two potential main characters, go for it. One person can show up in the other's story, or they can have unrelated stories. It's your call.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by OtomeWeekend »

In tennis no ouji-sama dokidoki survival, there are 2 heroines and they are both best friends.
There is also the Dare ni mo Ura ga Aru which also has 2 heroines who were siblings.

Conclusion: There is nothing wrong if the hero/heroines are somehow related. But as I think is the obvious answer, it's in the hands of the writer whether everything would go smoothly and not weird be it that they are related/interacting or not.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Dakishimete
Regular
Projects: The Cave
Organization: Fudaki Productions

#5 Post by Dakishimete »

That's a weird question. The way in which you show the story absolutely always depends on the story. I can't answer such thing if I don't know the plot or what do you want to show. You should be the one to know it yourself.

ActionSage
Regular
Projects: LMA

#6 Post by ActionSage »

I guess there is no problem with having 2 main characters then, I was just wondering if they should be romanceable in each others story or not.

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

#7 Post by kisa »

I realize it's been a whole year since this was posted... But, I am writing a story where the two playable characters interact quite a bit and are able to form a romantic relationship if the player chooses.

I think you can write whatever you put your mind to as long as you think of how it would work realistically.