Break Chance Memento [RELEASED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Break Chance Memento [BxB] [Sci-Fi Murder Mystery]

#31 Post by Camille »

Whoops, forgot about posting this up here, but I had made this little video of a scene from the game for Valentine's Day:

You can see the new map screen in this video. Since the previous video, Lazcht and I have added an atmospheric moving cloud over the map. I've also updated the first post of this thread with the new Lint statistics. I'm trying to get as much of chapter four done as I can before the month is over. (if a miracle happens, maybe I can finish the chapter orz... I underestimated how difficult schoolwork was going to be...) Auro and I will be taking a break from BCM during the month of March to work on our NaNoRenO game. (though knowing me, I'll probably still do some outlining and other miscellaneous work on BCM even during March) I've gotten a very good friend of mine to start editing BCM, so she'll be fixing up my writing and polishing it to make things sound better. :3

I think progress slowed down a bit since I had to start my spring classes and Auro went on vacation, but we're making good time on BCM still. /o/ Thanks to everyone for their support thus far!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#32 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

A little Gif test I did to see how to do something for the trailer I will be making. It involves the new promo art I did for BCM, which is more in the tone of voice of the actual game. I draw a lot of cute, fluffy thing, but the game at it's core is quite dark. And I forgot to add the question mark. I'll have to remember to do that.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#33 Post by Camille »

The finished trailer! We'll be getting back to work on RisAmo now until the month's over, but I hope you all enjoy. <3

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Camille »

Auro and I are currently taking inventory and doing some organizational work before we restart BCM. Interestingly enough, the basic art is almost done. Auro just has a couple of secondary sprites left to do (and I think she's fixing up the main sprites, as well) before she finishes up the BGs... And then it's on to CGs. Whoo!

I've been contemplating a lot of things about the game, too, such as the POV and soundtrack... After writing in 1st person for a few VNs now, I feel like I've gotten the hang of it and now 3rd person feels extremely clunky. (it's weird how things change, haha) At the same time, I reaaaaally don't want to rewrite 80k+ words, but most of that is dialogue, anyway?? So we'll see whether perfectionism or laziness wins out here.

As for the soundtrack, I've been thinking lately about possibly hiring a composer. There are many times in BCM so far where it's been hard to find a good song for what I'm thinking of and since I've been using a lot of different music sources, the soundtrack isn't entirely cohesive. But I know how expensive it is to hire a good composer, so... This time it's a battle between my perfectionism and my wallet. ^^;

But yeah, Auro and I have been discussing many things about BCM and what Cyanide Tea's going to be doing in the future (ie: our 2013 otome game), so you haven't heard the last of us just yet. We're just being a little quiet right now while we try to pull things together and learn from our NaNoRenO mistakes. That and I have been having test after test after test since April started. @_@;; Not a great time for me right now.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#35 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Plus, Mass Effect :/ I have no self control once I start a game like this. There was a very good reason why I had to leave it in it's packaging during Nanoreno and why my brother wasn't even allowed to touch it.

Ahem. Yes. We have made some decisions and so I know only have two full body sprites left to do, as well as 4 secondary bust portraits and some tertiary ones. However, the original sprites will be getting a good clean and fixing and the main characters will be getting two more poses and some new outfits (not a lot, but some). I have interesting plans for the CGs which will require some thinking, but I don't think they are going to static by nature if I can do what I want.

We have a list.

Lists are very important.

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#36 Post by Kura »

As someone who usually tends to prefer first person POV, I thought that third person worked for BCM, though I guess I can't exactly put my finger on why. There are definitely moments of explanation and description that would feel weird in first-person (e.g., "why is Shuuki lecturing to himself about Masa's reputation"), but of course that wouldn't be super hard to address. Also, in my opinion, using first-person and showing a sprite for the narrator feels odd, but you guys did that for RisAmo, so I presume it doesn't bother you.

I guess first-person could have a stronger impact, though. But yeah, that's an awful lot to rewrite, haha.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I have interesting plans for the CGs which will require some thinking, but I don't think they are going to static by nature if I can do what I want.
Well now. This sounds extremely interesting!
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#37 Post by Camille »

Kura wrote:There are definitely moments of explanation and description that would feel weird in first-person (e.g., "why is Shuuki lecturing to himself about Masa's reputation")
Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that, but that's definitely true. There's lots of times where things are explained where it'd be weird for Shuuki to inner monologue to himself that much. Having all the sprites on the screen is sort of a BL game thing + I think Auro and I generally prefer it that way the MC is part of the story with the others instead of being set off to the side. Plus I think Auro said once that when all the sprites are facing you (the player) it's kind of creepy. XD

And yeah re-writing 80k words does not sound like my idea of a good time. So I guess I'll just leave it the way it is. o.o Auro and I decided to defer the original soundtrack thing, too. It can wait until we have a composer in Cyanide Tea or enough funds to hire one. (so for future games) :3
Kura wrote:Well now. This sounds extremely interesting!
We are ready to push the limits of all the tricks we learned while doing RisAmo. >:3 The CGs for BCM will be very cool.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#38 Post by Obscura »

I am super excited about your game, guys! I've been interested in BxBs ever since I joined this forum. I'll definitely be purchasing this one (even though the guys um, are a bit femme looking for my tastes!) :P
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by Camille »

Thank you! They are, well, high school boys drawn in the "anime/manga style" (I hesitate to call them STYLES since they're mediums, but I think people know what I'm saying XD), so I think that them looking less obviously manly is kind of a given. ^^; But hopefully you stick around for the rest of the game even if that's not normally your style. /o/

Now for an actual update~

I've uploaded a short video here: http://cl.ly/3k0W313l2D0c1e0N0x09

Not to YouTube because it's a test and also because it has some nudity in it. (the sensitive bits are censored and behind the textbox, though) I probably should have used a different scene, but this is one of the first scenes in the game and so I kind of randomly picked it to test. Umm anyway it's a test to show the new blinking style and sprite expression transitions. If you've played the demo, this is a totally new style of animation that I painstakingly developed today so that things would hopefully look a bit smoother.

Any feedback you guys might have would be great. I'm specifically looking for your opinions on how the animation and transitions look. :D If the nudity really bothers people, I can do the test on a different scene. XD; In the future, the boys will all have pajamas and underwear and whatnot, so this won't be an issue in the finished game.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#40 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Oh my gaaaaaaawd, it's been forever. And I've forgotten how to draw in the meantime ;_;

Anyway, UPDATE! Chiaki's Mother!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#41 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

And a finished sprite! 4 more major ones to go before I have to do the bust ones, of which I am not sure how many there are.

princessofbalance
Projects: WIP indigo faerie

#42 Post by princessofbalance »

personally i like it very much, you have a beautiful style, seems interesting and is very professional. i just hope i can make a game as well done as yours
ART comes in all forms, because every tool for art is made differently

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#43 Post by Hijiri »

Can I ask how old Chiaki's mother is?
Also, it seems that she sure didn't have much trouble getting over having Chiaki.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#44 Post by Camille »

Chiaki's mother is about 34-35. She had Chiaki when she was 17, which is why she looks a bit young (especially compared to the Amamiyas' mother).

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#45 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@princessofbalance, Thank you, I'[m glad you like it :)

@Hijiri, Yep, she is quite young given the age of her son. Since Chiaki is her only child, as far as I know, and it has been 18 years, I would be worried if she hadn't bounced back from the pregnancy.
As I imagine her, she was an awkward teenager and she never really grew out of it. She has some mild social anxiety issues caused from a lack of confidence and a fear of rejection. I imagine she is an office worker of some kind. I also forgot to shade under her hair, must remember to do that.