(complete)Line of Heroes [GxB, Arabian Nights Fantasy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

(complete)Line of Heroes [GxB, Arabian Nights Fantasy]

#1 Post by modesty »

Summary/Plot
Mara, the daughter of a Legend struggles to find a way to rise from the shadow of her Father's legacy. Part of her heart craves adventure but the other part is too afraid to exceed the expectations of her tribe. While trying to find herself, her Father the Hero of Legend goes missing. With the help of her friends and rivals, Mara seeks to take destiny into her own hands. She finds herself on the adventure she never wanted but a strength she's never known. Will the trials strengthen her heart or break it?

Rating: Teen+ for ideologically sensitive subject matter

Game Style: Visual Novel/Choose-your-own-romance/Adventure
Arabian Nights type setting
Multiple endings
Along with a story there will be "branching" dialog and point/click adventure areas (a total of 4).

Progress
Script: 99%
Coding: 100%
Music/Sound: 100% Music and Sound effects implemented.
Art: 95% (I may update or change art in a later update)

Download!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewt ... 11&t=17170
Cast
(For more in depth character bios check out the wiki: http://modchars.wikispaces.com/Line+of+Heroes )
Mara - the protagonist
Mara is a young woman from a desert tribe of Sun Elves and the daughter of the Legendary Hero: Arens. She is his eldest child and manages the family's herd of Karkadann. She was trained as a warrior until her brother was born.

Rama - Mara's Companion
Rama is bonded to Mara and serves as her protector. He also helps her manage the herd...well...it is mostly his family anyway. He's not very friendly to anyone except those that earn his respect.

Daire - Princess of the Mountains
Daire is the only child of King Folin. She is quick to make friends with people and sympathetic to others. But she is no push-over. While she knows when to hold her tongue the minute she's allowed to let it loose watch OUT. Daire does not use "colorful" language but does utilize strong imagery. She will gladly speak up and be a voice for the unheard and shy.

Rosalia - Princess of the Southern Seas
Rosalia is the only child of King Dynx. Her mother left the family which had a strong affect on Rosalia. She often feels very lonely so she hovers around people for the sake of company. For a siren Rosalia is a bit clumsy finding more grace in the water. This makes her feel a bit shy around others and she tries to stay in the background.

Lord Shamir - Rival/Friend/Enemy??
Shamir is a troubled young man. Respectful and obedient to his father and the queen on the surface, he has managed to be banished from all other surrounding kingdoms save for the Desert. There are many rumors as to why this is but one that is most prominent to others is the scandal of his birth. He is magically inclined unlike most elves. He seeks to utilize his talents for a mysterious purpose. Apparently, marrying Mara fits into these plans.

Shakil - Childhood Friend
Shakil is an honest character with down-to-earth views and a big heart. He is very sensitive to the pain of others both physical and mental. It is no secret that he admires Mara, but has not tried to push the relationship beyond friendship. He is mostly a passive individual except when Mara inspires him.

Lucios - Moral Support and Guide
One of the Shadow Elves entrusted with protecting royal secrets. He works in the palace for part of the year delivering messages and spying on various nobles. He has a happy-go-lucky attitude and cheerful personality. However, he is also capable of very strong and emotional outbreaks.

Melek - Head in the Clouds
Melek is a strange individual since most of his life was spent living alone with his master. Almost all of his race was wiped out by the Thief King several years ago. Most of his life was spent training as a guardian and watching the events on the world below but forbidden to touch the ground. Melek is an idealist, of noble character and in a way childish. He has not lost the wonder of childhood about the world around him which seems to just brighten up the room.
Screen shots
Art Stuff
ImageImage
(Some fun creatures you'll meet)
Last edited by modesty on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 am, edited 11 times in total.

Dakishimete
Regular
Projects: The Cave
Organization: Fudaki Productions

Re: Line of Heroes [GxB, Arabian Nights Fantasy]

#2 Post by Dakishimete »

I think main character lips are too big, even if she belongs to a desert tribe, they look almost unhuman on girst screenshot, but they're fine on the second one.

modesty
Regular

#3 Post by modesty »

I think I can agree with you there. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

modesty
Regular

#4 Post by modesty »

Redid some of the title screen to give Mara a more aggressive stance. Also adjusted her sprite so her lips aren't so inflated.

modesty
Regular

#5 Post by modesty »

Minor update, I've been updating the character sprite art with some cleaner lines and some new poses.
Then I should start making backgrounds. I keep putting that off.

I'll post some new screenshots tomorrow. ;)

Asterisk
Regular

#6 Post by Asterisk »

Very interesting, keep up the good work!
Nice art and I like your creature designs!
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#7 Post by kaleidofish »

Wow, I love the art style for this game. It's very 90s Disney-esque, for lack of a better term. Me like! Can't wait to see more screenshots. As for the UI, have you thought about making the textbox similar to parchment paper, like an opened scroll? It'd give it an Arabian Nights kind of feel, as long as you take care not to make it look cheesey.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

modesty
Regular

#8 Post by modesty »

More screen shots. Took a bit longer to redo some of the lesser characters and get them into proper poses.

@kaleidofish: Thanks. I should work on the UI soon. The default is just so bleh. Thanks for the style suggestions.

@Asterisk: thank you very much. It's slow going but I'm finally making more progress.

modesty
Regular

#9 Post by modesty »

Made quite a few bits of art progress this month.
I've gotten some of the backgrounds finished with art instead of photos placeholders.
I've been tweaking the sprites and finally adding expressions and costume changes.

Today I plan on making the graphics for the text boxes. I'll post new screen shots once that's done.

ffs_jay
Regular
Completed: HellBounders - Act 0
Projects: HellBounders series

#10 Post by ffs_jay »

I'm really liking the art style on this one, getting a bit of a Disney/Don Bluth vibe. Look forward to checking it out when it's done.

modesty
Regular

#11 Post by modesty »

First draft of the text box. I'm re-doing the "burnt" edges a bit.

Some opinions. Do you think it'd be better if just the border was torn edges and there was some transparency? Or should I leave it opaque?

@ffs_jay: Thanks. :) I tend to be better at the more Disney-ish style.

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#12 Post by distorsion »

Couple of questions, couple of comments, and I'll even throw in a free suggestion!
Questions: 1) What's an UI? 2) What do you mean by suggestions for a demo release? If you mean does anyone want you to put one out then my answer is "yes please", ^_^.
Comments: 1) Those creatures are sooo pretty! *glittery eyes* 2) Rama's sprite is nice. He looks kind of annoyed, but I like it, lol.
Suggestion: I think Mara would look better with longer hair (dreads would suit her, I think). Up to you guys, though.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

modesty
Regular

#13 Post by modesty »

To answer questions. UI = User Interface. GUI graphic user interface is more accurate but that is the terms I use when describing things like the menu buttons or text boxes.

2) My question for the demo I suppose is more along the lines of what is expected in a demo. I also need to figure out how I even MAKE a demo version. :oops:

Comments:
Thank you. I love designing creatures. I can't wait to show them all off.

Rama is cranky most of the time. It's his personality. Once I get a demo out you'll understand.

Thanks for the suggestions on her hair, but I'm pretty happy with her design as is. :)

Also update. Fixed the text boxes to my liking. :)

LA-Sugarkane

Re: (DEMO)Line of Heroes [GxB, Arabian Nights Fantasy]

#14 Post by LA-Sugarkane »

So that was a fun little demo, Rama is amusingly snarky and I am fangirling Shakil so hard right now SO HARD
So just one typo I noticed the second time you mention the Great City you wrote the Greaty City
Mara:
To live? In the Greaty City?

Well that's all then good luck!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

Re: (DEMO)Line of Heroes [GxB, Arabian Nights Fantasy]

#15 Post by distorsion »

Ah, I see! Well for demo expectations, meeting or bumping into a few of the obtainable characters is standard in most demos, though hearing about them from another person works fine. Also, since your game involves fighting, a quick battle (tutorial or otherwise) would be nice. Hope that isn't asking for too much. *sheepish*
By the way, after playing the demo, Rama has now become my favorite character. *grins*
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!