Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#31 Post by SusanTheCat »

SilverxBlue wrote:And then there's another thing that irks me here, I'm probably the tallest girl here in the village/barrio and every time I walk out of the house to buy something, almost everyone gapes at me and say things like "Kalaki eh." Translation: She's so big! or "Sino ba ang napakatangkad na babaeng, ere?" Translation: Who is this really tall girl over here?
5'8" is short. ;) I'm 6'2" and have been that height since I was 15.

And yes, I get called a man even to my face.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#32 Post by Mink »

I envy you tall or average height people. I'm only 4'8".

^The above is probably the main reason people think I'm a child. Not to mention what also gets me a lot of...creepy attention. There's a reason if I walk to, say, a fast food place down the street from my university, I walk like I'm pissed off. People tend to leave you alone then.

How's that song go? "What I wouldn't give just to be left alone..."
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#33 Post by KomiTsuku »

Mink wrote:I envy you tall or average height people. I'm only 4'8".

^The above is probably the main reason people think I'm a child. Not to mention what also gets me a lot of...creepy attention. There's a reason if I walk to, say, a fast food place down the street from my university, I walk like I'm pissed off. People tend to leave you alone then.
I'll trade you. v.v I've looked like I was 30+ since the age of 12 (high school is awkward when your classmates think you are the teacher; no dates for me). I was 16 and people asked me questions about my son, who happened to be my 10 year old brother. The graying in my hair isn't helping things either. I'm only 22...

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#34 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

KomiTsuku wrote:

I'll trade you. v.v I've looked like I was 30+ since the age of 12 (high school is awkward when your classmates think you are the teacher; no dates for me). I was 16 and people asked me questions about my son, who happened to be my 10 year old brother. The graying in my hair isn't helping things either. I'm only 22...
Yeah, I've never understood why people get upset about looking younger than they are. Trust me, the alternative is much worse.

I'm in KomiTsuku's shoes. I've never been carded in my life for ANYTHING, and have always looked older than I am. I shaved my head at 18 for the military, and didn't grow it out again until 22, after a stressful final year of service during which most of my childhood friends and military buddies died. I attended SO many funerals that year and sat with so many widows . . . I guess the stress got to me or I have bad genes, but when my hair grew back, it was gray.

My hair can't make up it's mind - I was blonde until I was 10, brunette till I was 18 (or 19 or 20 or 21, but with a shaved head, who knows?), and then gray at 22 until now. Now I attract girls my age with "daddy issues". Sigh. I really should dye it, I guess.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#35 Post by Mink »

Well, it's not that I'm mistaken for being young: it's that I'm mistaken for being a child and are treated as such until they realize and/or are told that I'm not. THAT is what angers me.

And the attracting creepy weirdos. That too.

Edit: Not to mention people act like they don't want to believe I'm like ten years older than I look. It seems like unless I happen to be with my mom with it happens, they don't believe it until she confirms it.

Funnily enough, people tend to think my mom is in her late 30's/early 40's. She isn't: she turns 53 this year.

*Website, yo*

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#36 Post by teacup »

^The above is probably the main reason people think I'm a child.
I have this problem too. I'll be 19 in less than two months and the number of times I've been mistaken a 12 year old this year is ridiculous =w=;;
Maybe it's because I'm short, but it really gets tiring.
Just the other day I was in the hair salon, talking to the stylist about my college courses, when a lady in the seat next to me said she couldn't believe I was in college. She told me "I would have thought for sure you were only in middle school~!". I never know how to respond to such comments. Um, thanks lady?

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#37 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

teacup wrote:I never know how to respond to such comments. Um, thanks lady?
Say "thanks". You have an ID if you need to prove your age, and this means when you're 30 you'll look 20, 40 you'll look 30, etc. Totally a good thing that I think would make up for whatever annoyances looking younger creates for you now. It is a benefit that is inconvenient for 10 years and then useful for life. Looking OLDER than you are is a benefit for 10 years and then inconvenient and DEPRESSING for the life.

The poor lady wishes she had your youthful looks. The opposite remark I get is stuff like - "Remember [insert thing that happened in 60s or 70s]? Those were the days, huh?" Me: "I'm 30, not 50." :( Awkward silence all around after that.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#38 Post by papillon »

You have an ID if you need to prove your age
Considering that there are plenty of fake IDs around, young-looking people quite often get into situations where someone won't accept their ID, or even tries to confiscate it. (They usually have the legal right to do the former but not the latter, I think. Sometimes the police have to get involved.)

I knew a girl who passed for twelve at nineteen unless she made a serious effort to 'dress slutty', which was necessary sometimes to get into gigs without a huge scene.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by OtomeWeekend »

SusanTheCat wrote:
SilverxBlue wrote:And then there's another thing that irks me here, I'm probably the tallest girl here in the village/barrio and every time I walk out of the house to buy something, almost everyone gapes at me and say things like "Kalaki eh." Translation: She's so big! or "Sino ba ang napakatangkad na babaeng, ere?" Translation: Who is this really tall girl over here?
5'8" is short. ;) I'm 6'2" and have been that height since I was 15.

And yes, I get called a man even to my face.

Susan
That goes in the western. I'm just 5'2(157.2cm) and I was considered one of the tallest girls in our class whether I'm here in Japan or in Philippines. Apparently, according to some site, Asian average height ranges from 5'5 and below or something.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Mink »

papillon wrote:
You have an ID if you need to prove your age
Considering that there are plenty of fake IDs around, young-looking people quite often get into situations where someone won't accept their ID, or even tries to confiscate it. (They usually have the legal right to do the former but not the latter, I think. Sometimes the police have to get involved.)

I knew a girl who passed for twelve at nineteen unless she made a serious effort to 'dress slutty', which was necessary sometimes to get into gigs without a huge scene.
Every time I buy a mature-rated video game, I'm ID'd. Once, in a Gamestop, two boys expressed shock when they realized I was not a kid/old enough to buy the game I was buying.

And my sister had that 'not believing your ID is real' problem. She tried to get into a club with some friends and the guy at the door refused to believe she was as old as she was (20 at the time, I believe). He didn't let her in until she showed him her university ID.*

I turn 21 in about five months; god help me if I ever want to buy alcohol.

*The question here is: if she had a fake ID, why would she make it so that she's old enough to get in, but not drink?

*Website, yo*

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#41 Post by silenteve »

The other day my friend said that Cowboy Bebop was boring and I almost smacked her in the face.
I mean we should all respect each others opinions but that is one opinion I will never accept.
I'm still kind of angry about it (I mean, c'mon! How can it be boring?!)
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#42 Post by GeneDNC »

silenteve wrote:The other day my friend said that Cowboy Bebop was boring and I almost smacked her in the face.
I mean we should all respect each others opinions but that is one opinion I will never accept.
I'm still kind of angry about it (I mean, c'mon! How can it be boring?!)
I had pretty much the same reaction when a friend said she didn't like the end of FMA Brotherhood. How is that even possible?!

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Mink »

Reminds me of this girl I knew in high school: she mentioned Dn:Angel (or however the title's written), but I said I never read it. When I did, she yelled at me, saying what was wrong with me, and stormed off angrily.

Then again, I've never had that sort of reaction to someone not liking something I did like. I loaned a friend a book, but she gave it back saying she didn't like it. All I did was go, "Really? What didn't you like about it?"

Though, it might be that the premise of the book (series) is less about the premise. Actually, just Google Monster Blood Tattoo; though it's about monsters, it more about human relationships. <--- Actually, I think the writer even said that at one point. Also, it's possibly about prejudice, because plenty of the humans were worse than the monsters, and some of the monsters were actually relatively nice; and yet, most people seemed to think monsters are Always Chaotic Evil. /off-topic

Despite the fact the U.S. (and Canada) version is called 'The Foundling's Tale', I will forever and always call it Monster Blood Tattoo.

Edit: oh, here's something on topic. Why did they change the title of the series from Monster Blood Tattoo to begin with? And just in the U.S. and Canada; it's still the same in Australia. >8|

*Website, yo*

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#44 Post by Razz »

Got super depressed today after I learning how fast people read. My VN is probably going to weigh in at about 10,000 words and that's barely 30 minutes of gameplay. I mean it fits the story and everything, and I think adding scenes would just take away from it, but it just kind of sucks that I've been working on something (off and on) for 3 months that ended up so short!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by DaFool »

Razz wrote:Got super depressed today after I learning how fast people read. My VN is probably going to weigh in at about 10,000 words and that's barely 30 minutes of gameplay. I mean it fits the story and everything, and I think adding scenes would just take away from it, but it just kind of sucks that I've been working on something (off and on) for 3 months that ended up so short!
The realization of how fast people just plough through and consume the content it took you weeks, months, even years to make is one of the first eye-openers when somebody is releasing their first game. Apparently people won't care if it took you 15 hours to make one background, they'd just go "ah, that's nice" and go click click click. For some reason art seems more valued if it's outside a game (e.g. concept art) rather than when it's actually being used inside the game.

That is one of the main reasons my future direction is gameplay type games (such as RPGs and puzzles), where there is high level of reuseability.

I'm also super depressed since I cannot meet the last 10% of polish needed in my projects hence the need to hire, and I'm running out of cash. And then someone comes along with a no-budget work with little to no art and gets exposure and I'm like "But I've been doing that in the past and nobody cared!"