Doppelganger [GXB][Mystery][Supernatural][Horror]-- COMPLETE

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Doppelganger [GXB][Mystery][Supernatural][Horror]-- COMPLETE

#1 Post by azureXtwilight »

2ND DEMO LINK : http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 45&t=17284

What if your wish actually can come true? You just wish and someone else will do it for you. It comes with a price though...

Play as LUCIA NICOL, a snobbish girl who only thinks of herself. She's trapped in a weird situation after she wished for those who bullied her, ANASTASIA and her gang to feel the same thing. One by one, they are attacked and their body parts were taken. All the clues points to Lucia, but Lucia knows for sure she didn't do any of those... Could it be that the delinquent YURI IVANOV did it?

Meanwhile, some of the people she knows disappear as well, like ENRICO MORETTI and Lucia starts to see people... Those who cannot be seen and heard by others, such as CLIFFORD RHODES. Even his brother, ARTHUR NICOL, says she's crazy.

Her schoolmates, JUN SUWABARA, BLAKE LANDERS, RAPHAEL MARTIS, IGNATOUS IVANOV and LEE ZHUYUAN also have some things they hide... And they are also involved in this thing.... Are they enemies or are they allies?

What's happening to Lucia? Will she be able to prove herself innocent? Will she save everyone who's been missing? What is the source of all these?

Rated 16+ for language and violence.

With six different paths, more than ten different endings, and many unlockable bonus... Solve this mystery please!

Soo what do ya think?

Lucia Nicol (17)
A 17 years old girl who likes studying and looks down on people who doesn't have good marks. Lucia is straightforward, and looks at people in a sarcastic way. She has a childhood crush on Raphael Martis, his senior.
lucia.jpg
Lee Zhuyuan (17)
Lucia's friend since middle school who seems to be developing a crush on her. Lee is the son of a rich family and is the student council president. Being the perfect student, Lee is quite popular at school and sometimes can be one of the reasons while some girls are hostile towards Lucia.
lee.jpg
Lee Shuang (18) -- Lee's cousin who cannot walk due to a genetic defect. Being in a wheelchair, she seemed to be protected a lot by the Lee family. Shuang is mature and calm, who likes to tease her cousin a lot,
shuang.jpg
Yuri Ivanov (17) -- A tall, fearless gang member from Garrnaster high. He doesn't do well at school, and currently lives with his father who is a surgeon after his parents divorced. The elder brother of Ignatius Ivanov, who despise his brother more than anyone. He is also a main suspect for Anastasia's attack alongside Lucia. Rico's mortal enemy.
doppelganger_final____yuri_ivanov_by_azurextwilight_rllz-d5dr3dr.png
Jun Suwabara (17)
Lucia's best friend, she is naive, energetic and bubbly in contrast to Lucia's sarcastic and cold personality.
jun.jpg
Clifford Rhodes (??)-- A mysterious, ghost-like figure that apparently can be seen by only few people. Clifford speaks in riddles and loves to confuse people. He might be one of the people responsible for this incident, or at least knows a lot about that. For some reason he can be found at the park, staring into the sky or the neighborhood or whatever. No one really knows.
cliff.jpg
Lin Chunxiang (17) -- A girl who seems to be terminally ill and spends her whole day living in a hospital.
Chunxiang.jpg

Blake Landers (17) -- A famous band singer who doesn't care about his surroundings as he mostly sleeps at school due to stress and work. Blake appears to be a lazy person, but he's very passionate when it comes to music.
blake.jpg
Raphael Martis (18) -- The son of the basketball coach who died during semifinals last year. Raphael loves basketball and is trying to get a scholarship out of playing basketball. However, his life changes after an accident...
ralph.jpg
Ignatius Ivanov (16)
Ignatius Ivanov is Yuri's younger brother who is also Lucia's underclassman. He lives next door with his mother and seems to get along with Lucia well.
Iggy.jpg
Arthur Nicol (14)
Lucia's younger brother whose hobby is visiting message boards, can be an useful resource for rumors and news around the city.

Anastasia Brunell (17)
Rico's girlfriend, also a victim of a mysterious incident at school. She bullies Lucia and is her arch-nemesis.
ann.jpg
??? (??)
A young man surrounded by mysterious aura, seems to be present whenever a case happens. Who is he?
mystery man.jpg
Enrico Moretti (17)
rico.jpg
Rico (Enrico Moretti) is Yuri's archenemy, a delinquent from Valudeto high, and Anastasia's boyfriend. He appeared to be one of the first victims from Lucia's school, but appeared in front of Lucia asking for help...

Al right guys, here's the new team of doppelganger's production :)

azureXtwilight --> Leader, story, coding&scripting, initial design, Main Artist.
Kirroha -> Co-writer, editor, female character designers
LumenAstrum --> Sketches, promotional, pose designer and references

Riviera, MiniB0ss : Editor
nero279, Snowflower, kkisaragi, TakeOverWorld : Proofreaders
Deji, renpao, thistingheart, bunbun, 9:19 : Redlining

Please do tell me :
1. Fave chara?
2. Found bugs/typo?
3 . A short review, perhaps?

UPDATE : http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &start=465
Thanks!

VIDEOS:

Attachments
shsd.png
b2 use this line.png
ScreenShot001.jpg
Last edited by azureXtwilight on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:14 am, edited 42 times in total.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

Re: Doppelganger, Dawn of the Inverted Souls [GXB] [Mystery]

#2 Post by Reikun »

Hi! I played your demo today~ I thought it was really interesting. I really like the idea/premise and the story so far was really good. I'd really like to see you finish this project!
Here's my review of the demo:

Overall, I think you have a lot of progress on the game. I won't comment on art because your sprites aren't yet finished. However, there were quite a few details that I think you should really look at. In the beginning...
...when the key "rolled" into the apartment, my first reaction was "How does a key roll?" I think a better description would be "bounced" or something to that effect. I have never seen a house key roll before, so the description came off as a little bizarre to me.
The other thing that bothered me with the demo was the color scheme of the preference menu. I know the game isn't complete yet, but you should probably reconsider using dark red and black together because it makes it very hard to see the volume bars. Maybe you could try light grey and dark red, or a lighter red with black.

Speaking of colors, the color-coding for the character's names also seemed a bit random. At first, I thought the names might be color-coded by hair color since Blake and Lucia had name colors similar to their hair colors, but then Arthur, Jun, AND Anastasia had yellow names and Lee had a dark yellow name. I don't even remember the colors of Rico, Yuri, etc's names because the whole name color system seemed random. Is there a reason you chose certain colors for certain character's names?
I would also like to know if the description of the school being filled with "famous artists" is really necessary. Unless Blake isn't the only famous artist in the game...
Other than those points, there were quite a few bugs with images/text appearing. The first time the "Lunchtime" and "Later That Day" transitions appeared, they were not on black backgrounds which made it INCREDIBLY hard to read xD There are also several places where narrative dialogue appears over where the names would normally go instead of being spaced down. The only place I noted this down is where
Lucia says "I have to turn around" when she meets Yuri in the park (this is before you know what his name is).
But it also happens several times in places where the text says ".............." with different lengths of periods.
Some image glitches include when
Lucia and Raphael are late to school. After getting lectured, in the stair scene, Raphael doesn't disappear even though they told each other good-bye and it's weird to read the narration while he's standing there. Also, with the phone calls between Jun/Lucia/Lee, when Lucia calls Jun once, Lee's image appears instead of Jun's.
There's also a part where Rico says "inhibits" instead of "inhabits." :/

Now for some things I liked! :D
I think you picked out a really lively soundtrack. I especially like the song you used as Yuri's "theme music." I thought it was really fitting for his character. The usage and timing of sound effects was also really effective. The only thing that bothered me with sound was the background chattering sounds, but that's really just a personal thing for me.
Great work so far! Keep at it and I'm sure this will be an awesome game when it's finally released!

... And I guess Yuri is my favorite character?
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#3 Post by azureXtwilight »

Reikun wrote:Hi! I played your demo today~ I thought it was really interesting. I really like the idea/premise and the story so far was really good. I'd really like to see you finish this project!
Here's my review of the demo:

Overall, I think you have a lot of progress on the game. I won't comment on art because your sprites aren't yet finished. However, there were quite a few details that I think you should really look at. In the beginning...
...when the key "rolled" into the apartment, my first reaction was "How does a key roll?" I think a better description would be "bounced" or something to that effect. I have never seen a house key roll before, so the description came off as a little bizarre to me.
Hmm, sounds reasonable enough, I'm going to change that, thanks! :D
The other thing that bothered me with the demo was the color scheme of the preference menu. I know the game isn't complete yet, but you should probably reconsider using dark red and black together because it makes it very hard to see the volume bars. Maybe you could try light grey and dark red, or a lighter red with black.
It was temporary, of course. I'm going to use imagemap for options and load/save
Speaking of colors, the color-coding for the character's names also seemed a bit random. At first, I thought the names might be color-coded by hair color since Blake and Lucia had name colors similar to their hair colors, but then Arthur, Jun, AND Anastasia had yellow names and Lee had a dark yellow name. I don't even remember the colors of Rico, Yuri, etc's names because the whole name color system seemed random. Is there a reason you chose certain colors for certain character's names?
Ah, I was picking it randomly. But I will change the color scheme for the full game, demo was a bit rushed really :P
I would also like to know if the description of the school being filled with "famous artists" is really necessary. Unless Blake isn't the only famous artist in the game...
I didn't go too deep with that, because it's not really that important to the story but it's like they have some kind of artistic talents that lets them enter the school without having to pay much, I guess.
Other than those points, there were quite a few bugs with images/text appearing. The first time the "Lunchtime" and "Later That Day" transitions appeared, they were not on black backgrounds which made it INCREDIBLY hard to read xD There are also several places where narrative dialogue appears over where the names would normally go instead of being spaced down. The only place I noted this down is where
Lucia says "I have to turn around" when she meets Yuri in the park (this is before you know what his name is).
But it also happens several times in places where the text says ".............." with different lengths of periods.
Some image glitches include when
Lucia and Raphael are late to school. After getting lectured, in the stair scene, Raphael doesn't disappear even though they told each other good-bye and it's weird to read the narration while he's standing there. Also, with the phone calls between Jun/Lucia/Lee, when Lucia calls Jun once, Lee's image appears instead of Jun's.
There's also a part where Rico says "inhibits" instead of "inhabits." :/
Thanks for pointing that out! They all will be edited when beta-testing starts! :D
Now for some things I liked! :D
I think you picked out a really lively soundtrack. I especially like the song you used as Yuri's "theme music." I thought it was really fitting for his character. The usage and timing of sound effects was also really effective. The only thing that bothered me with sound was the background chattering sounds, but that's really just a personal thing for me.
Great work so far! Keep at it and I'm sure this will be an awesome game when it's finally released!

... And I guess Yuri is my favorite character?
I'm glad it you like it! :D
But all the things in the demo was only superficial, which will really twist horribly later, even Yuri~ So if he is your favorite character in the demo, that might change when you've finished all~

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#4 Post by azureXtwilight »

Updates as this project is not dead:

Code: Select all

Statistics:

The game contains 16,441 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 151,819 words,
for an average of 9.2 words per screen.
The game contains 53 menus.
and:

I once had a brother,
He was very nice and mature,
He taught me about a lot of things,
And I really respect him.

But then, he disappeared.
He says he can't be with us anymore.
I feel betrayed.
I thought we're going to be family for sure,
I'm sure he'll marry my sister someday.
And then, we'll be real brothers.

Then, brother came back.
He started to take everything I have.
Everything I wanted.
He said to me, that some things can't be solved by words.
So in order to teach me something,
He have to take everything I have.
Everything I've always wanted.

My bloodstained hand,
her tears,
the woman I love is in pain.
I don't get it,
Why?

Hope this will spur theories :P

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

Re: Doppelganger, Dawn of the Inverted Souls [GXB][Mystery]

#5 Post by distorsion »

To answer you question, I think Yuri will be my fav. ^__^
Also, I think I am equal parts happily expectant and scared. O_O
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

Re: Doppelganger, Dawn of the Inverted Souls [GXB][Mystery]

#6 Post by azureXtwilight »

Remaking stuff

What do you think?

Lee's head now looks smaller and he certainly looks more like his age

Yeah, he looks older now. That's the effect I'm looking for.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: Doppelganger -remaking progress- [GXB][Mystery]

#7 Post by teacup »

Wow, nice improvements! Not only do they look older, but the proportions are much better as well. ^_^ Great job!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#8 Post by azureXtwilight »

Thanks! :D I plan not to change Yuri a lot except making his head smaller and let's his eyes more closer? I think they are a bit too far apart.

Kryssie
Projects: Through My Eyes

#9 Post by Kryssie »

Wow, I'm excited for this game. ^^

Dakishimete
Regular
Projects: The Cave
Organization: Fudaki Productions

#10 Post by Dakishimete »

Remade sprites look a lot, lot better. It's nice to watch you progress this much in a short time

StarryRainBreeze
Regular

#11 Post by StarryRainBreeze »

your art is getting better ovo <3

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#12 Post by Hijiri »

Wow, those new sprites look much better. Glad to see the improvments. And, of course, Im gladly waiting to hear any news on this game (You also get the prize for being one of the small few of GxB game that actually interet me)

Though a quick question: is the gane more story driven or character driven?
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#13 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hijiri wrote:Wow, those new sprites look much better. Glad to see the improvments. And, of course, Im gladly waiting to hear any news on this game (You also get the prize for being one of the small few of GxB game that actually interet me)

Though a quick question: is the gane more story driven or character driven?
No, no, this isn't a pure GXB. It's more mystery-heavy. XD
I tend to make it more character driven, since I don't want them to be OOC just for the sake of the story D:

.... In other words. If one character is already insane, there will be nothing that can stop his insanity. Nothing. Even romantic love. Well, maybe a slap from a family member. Or death.

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#14 Post by distorsion »

azureXtwilight wrote:Nothing. Even romantic love. Well, maybe a slap from a family member. Or death.
Lol, that's one of the things I love about your games, the lack of cliches. That and the ability to surprise me despite my usual tendency to see 3 plot twists ahead.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#15 Post by azureXtwilight »

Thanks!

So guys! Since the demo is being edited and proofreaded and the scripts are being redone~

I'M GONNA RELEASE A V.2 DEMO!

Loooooook forward to it! :D

Also, time for remade stuff

I am glad how he turns out, I used various typical american jock images to make him less... japanese?

And Clifford's like a stinkin' old rich bastard. Or what he seems.