(P)lanets 2 [Cancelled]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: (P)lanets 2 [GxB] [Sci-Fi School Life]

#61 Post by teacup »

Thank you for the input everyone. It's very helpful for an indecisive person like me (*≧∀≦*)
Okay, it seems like blue is the best one, and I think I agree. I'm still interested in more opinions however, if anyone thinks differently.
Orange was the original color, but I think the eye gets drawn to it too much whereas with the blue, it's integrated more nicely.
Here is how the blue actually looks in game [the other pictures were just photoshop mockups]
I made the date display a little smaller and also added a drop shadow. Is it small enough?

sciencewarrior wrote:Showing pictures in the cellphone system sounds nice, but would you keep the same expression? Change the expression depending on the message's tone?
I was going to keep the same expression, but now that you mention it, changing expressions based on the message seems like a better idea. :) It'll be a little bit more work on my part but I think it'll be worth it!
distorsion wrote:I love the idea, will the messages be story related at all?
Well, there are a couple different types of messages.
There are invitations, which you can reply to with either a yes or no [such as someone asking you to eat lunch with them]
There are random, silly messages like you see above, which are simply there for your amusement.
And lastly there are more serious messages that are story-related... these might be confessions, expressions of sadness, etc.
So there are a variety of different kinds. ^-^
Aurehan wrote:aslkjdhf I love what you did with the journal!
Aws, Nemu's so cute xD <33
I like how simple the cell phone message display is, actually. D: It's self-explanatory, and I'm not lost as to where I should be looking!
As for the textbox, I'd go for the orange or the blue. The blue is relaxing to look at, and the orange has a really nice feel to it. Although, I feel like the purple would have looked nice too if you made it a softer shade. But I really like the orange./ming
Also, I'm definitely looking forward to a demo aksjhdfs/runs
Thanks for the input! I'm glad the cell phone display is straight-forward enough.
I'm not making any promises yet, but I'm working on getting the demo out in April. I hope I can do it... (・д・ ;)
Acorn wrote:I definitely like the blue textbox best; the others draw a little too much attention to themselves.
As for the day/season box, I like it and agree that it could be a little smaller. Having it change colour depending on the season might look good, too!
The aura colours definitely need to either have a black box around them, or be laid out slightly differently, so they're not all touching one another, as it's a little hard on the eyes. D:

But it's all looking great! I'm looking forward to more updates! n_n
Having different colors depending on the season is a cute idea! :) Or maybe each season could have a different border... like snowflake border in winter or a flower border in spring? I'll have to play with the idea a little.

I separated the aura colors and placed them behind the paper so they look more like journal tabs. If needed, I could make the colors a little less bright. I just have a liking for bright/neon colors that is usually blinding to other people XD

Bane Reiko wrote:I like the blue UI, but the orange and purple ones are very nice as well. They would look better if the shades were... cooler? Softer?

The date, notebook, and phone displays look very nice to me, and I agree with sciencewarrior that changing expressions for different messages would be interesting.
Thank you! Yeah, I probably made the other colors a bit too bright. And I've decided to go with changing expressions for the messages. I think it's a very good idea!
therealrose wrote:I like the orange one the best, for me it just looks... right. Though when I scrolled up to the purple one with Ren's sprite that one looked cool too. I wish that there could be a different text box with each dude! Cause I think some text boxes look better depending on the background/sprite. Honestly I have no idea which you should choose. So welcome for being no help at all. :)
I would have kept the old purple one, but it looked too cluttered when I added the other buttons which is why I made a new one.
I'd rather keep one textbox throughout the game, and blue somehow manages to match everything well enough XD [maybe because a lot of the backgrounds I'm using have blue tones]

KissOfDeath
Regular
Projects: Ikofá (In Development)

#62 Post by KissOfDeath »

Definitely go with the blue textbox, although I love the others, the blue seems the most natural-- if that makes sense <.<
&
Everybody else has said what I wanted to, so yeah! =)
(P)2 is looking really nice, glad it's coming together for you!
"Build your own pyramids, write your own hieroglyphs." -Kendrick Lamar
-KissOfDeath

Completed:
RE:Set Episode(s) 1 and 2 (Proofreader)
*A Troll's Fairy Tale* http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=20160 (Proofreader)

therealrose
Regular

#63 Post by therealrose »

Umm... I'm not sure if this is on purpose or something but isn't the actually word yellow a different color then the tab?

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#64 Post by teacup »

KissOfDeath wrote:Definitely go with the blue textbox, although I love the others, the blue seems the most natural-- if that makes sense <.<
&
Everybody else has said what I wanted to, so yeah! =)
(P)2 is looking really nice, glad it's coming together for you!
Haha that makes sense, I agree that it looks best.
Thank you! ^_^
therealrose wrote:Umm... I'm not sure if this is on purpose or something but isn't the actually word yellow a different color then the tab?
The yellow rectangle behind the word is a slightly less saturated.
I found that when I made it the same color as the tab, it was very, very bright. ^^;
I guess I could make it the same color but it's easier on the eyes the way it is now.

AriaAi
Regular
Projects: Go! Youth!
Deviantart: JunnChii
Soundcloud: JunnChii

#65 Post by AriaAi »

It's looking really nice~ <3 (´∀`*)ノシ
I agree with most people, the Blue probably works the best, but the others would probably work if they were less saturated too though.
Also, the drop-shadow added to the Seasons tab is a nice touch~ <3 And the idea with changing the color of it as the seasons change has a nice ring to it, but will it clash with the text box on the bottom? Or will you change that to match the season also? o uo;;
I'd also have to add that the colors for the journal are a bit blinding at first--- but my eyes get used to them eventually. I'm not sure if you'd like to tweak the saturation or not but- just a suggestion. = w=;; (Possibly adding opacity to the tabs so when you hover over one the color sticks out while the others are saturated out a bit? )
But I'm typically a fan of Pastel like colors so I'm not sure how much my opinion would matter~ /ming (;´∀`)
Mikah, I'll be anxiously waiting for you. 。゚(*゚´∀`゚)゚ノ彡☆ギャハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/ \ //shot.
I wish I had enough tenacity to stick through with making an otome game like you. orz;;
Also I can't wait for the demo to come out~ <3
Good work Teacup~ And Keep up the good work~ <33 (・∀・)人(・∀・)
Last edited by AriaAi on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

#66 Post by Morishita »

I'm not sure if this is an image map but maybe if you have it to were when you click on a certain color tab it will show the color while the others are grayed out or have a low saturation. I'm not doing a good job wording this but what I mean is kind of like the grey fade in and out thing you can do with image maps and button links. Have all the other tabs be low in saturation or grayed out but the color tab that you click on has it's normal saturation. That might help with taken some of the energy from the colors down a bit but that's just my opinion ^^

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#67 Post by sciencewarrior »

I minor detail: the three icons to the right look a bit "heavy". Maybe you could lose the black borders and make them white-on-blue. You can check out pictographic fonts like this to see some examples of monochromatic icons.
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

crystalxelement

#68 Post by crystalxelement »

blue ui is the best. personally saying. the purple would be my 2nd pick. i dont feel the orange or red to me. i also like how simple everything seems to be.

Princess Akina
Regular

#69 Post by Princess Akina »

Ahh! I go off LSF for a few days and all these updates happen? (╯°□°)╯
Great progress on this Teacup! Will grab demo version when it comes out ಠ_ಠ
I love the UI so far ^^ I agree with what sciencewarrior said with the three icons being heavy though.
Good luck on this o3o
Oh ho ho Mikah. You are like, so totally mine now!
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#70 Post by teacup »

@Morishita & AriaAi
I appreciate these suggestions! I've taken them and I think I've come up with something good. I simply made the colored tabs more pastel-like, but when you click on them or hover over them, they become much more brighter and saturated. I couldn't do this without you guys, thanks very much!

sciencewarrior wrote:I minor detail: the three icons to the right look a bit "heavy". Maybe you could lose the black borders and make them white-on-blue. You can check out pictographic fonts like this to see some examples of monochromatic icons.
Ooh, awesome link~! Those icons look a lot better than my crudely drawn ones, ahah;; (;∀;) {there wasn't a cellphone icon so I have to keep mine for now, though;;}
I tried white on blue but it didn't work very well, so I changed the black borders to a slightly darker blue color. Hopefully this is better, but I could lighten it again if it is still too dark.

@crystalxelement & Princess Akina
Thank you for the comments and suggestions! \(^o^)/

Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

#71 Post by Morishita »

I think using that darker shad of blue is a perfect idea!! I know when it comes to color theory and painting pictures some of my teachers have told me to stay away from black and just use darker tones *I think it was tones or shades* of the purple or blue or which ever color. I can't remember why but it does really help make the image look less heavy ^^ Great job!

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#72 Post by Blane Doyle »

This is looking better and better every time I see an update!

kula1233
Projects: The Library

#73 Post by kula1233 »

;w; o-omg, i finally found your post! ~(>w<)~<33
~just wanna say I'm a fan of yours :3
(even though i played your game once, i played it whole night, over and over)
;w; you rock! wish you could accomplish so much in real life!!~<33

psyduck
Regular

#74 Post by psyduck »

love the art. :)
Using the psych button [pictured on the upper right corner of the screenshots] you can view the true feelings of whoever you are talking to at the time. You may be surprised that outward expression isn't always an accurate representation of someone's true feelings...
anytime? I think once or twice a day is enough. it will tire the heroine, right? and is there any relation between the aura color and the heroine relationship development?

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#75 Post by silenteve »

If you ever need a beta tester, I AM HERE. I loved your first game so much Dx
Mikah is my favorite in this game (at least from what I can see now). My favorites usually change once I start playing the game and getting into it.
Lovely work so far :) Can't wait to play.
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D