What's better: extra art/CGs, voiceovers, theme song?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

What's better: extra art/CGs, voiceovers, theme song?

#1 Post by jack_norton »

Let's say you could decide what extras to add to a finished game. It would be more valuable for you:
- having more art/CGs
- having the game fully voiced
- have a title/theme song for the game
- something else ?

I'm asking because have some projects that are basically finished (still need to write) and I am undecided how to improve them further, so I'd like to know everyone's opinion. I am talking about not only visual novels but also dating/life sim and even RPGs! Thanks

For those curious/who wants to vote in a poll I asked same question in my forums:
http://www.winterwolves.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2334
Last edited by jack_norton on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

NoJoker
Regular
Completed: Sleepless Night series, Soulmates, TIWIWTD, TKABS
Projects: Legend of the Silver Fox, Sleepless Night 3
Deviantart: Massimow
itch: massimow
Discord: Massimo#3596

Re: What's better: extra art/CGs, voiceovers, theme song?

#2 Post by NoJoker »

I really love voice acting :)

Ziassan
Veteran

#3 Post by Ziassan »

More work means less competition between us composers, so I'll say "title/theme song" is far better.

Well if this good argument isn't enough... since the strong point of your games is already art, drown it with more art is a waste, each cg or art thing will decrease in importance because of the number.
Full-voice isn't that bad but it kill a bit the imagination of readers, I don't know if it matters for you. See for instance Narcissu, you have the choice to read it without voice, and many players have agreed it was better with your spirite voicing it only. And that's a real big work. That's not a priority.

A theme song is the thing that people will hum in their head, remembering the world they was in, playing the game. A thing that links better the differents players, because the same song will make them all remember your game. If you had some lullabies of your childhood, or songs from the past, hearing them make surely you remember lot of memories. And everybody can hum a melodie, that's not the same thing about drawing etc.
That's also good for a kind of trailer / video presentation, the thing that will increase the chance for a game to be discussed and showed around the web.
Also that's not a thing really common along the indie VN, that could allow you to gain a bit in originality.

Good luck anyway.

Ps : or if it has yet to be written, spend more time in the writting / money in talented proofreaders, it's also a good idea.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by jack_norton »

Thanks some good points. Just as note I posted that question, but I wanted it to be a generic question for all VN / dating sim developers, so maybe don't take in consideration my games, but in general what you expect/love in games :)

As for my personal preferences, I like voices in VNs, I think they add to the atmosphere rather than being a turn off (I guess is just personal tastes). If I could, I would have all my games voiced, but for example some are so big that it's really not much practical, both in terms of money involved and time needed. For Loren I decided to add only the battle voices because the game plot is insane (160k+ words and counting) and has lots of possible combinations that adding the voices would have taken minimum 2 more months! :shock:
computer games

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#5 Post by Greeny »

I say voice acting, but it depends on the quality of the voice acting. Bad quality voice acting can be distracting. On the other hand, it helps you work out the kinks in the script. Sometimes it takes someone saying it out loud for you to realize how weird a line is.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by SusanTheCat »

This is strange.

I actually avoid games that are fully voiced. I find that it slows me down because I can read faster than the voice, so I either have to wait for the voice to be over, or I get choppy sentences.

I do like when short parts are voiced (like battle cries, greetings, exclamations) Those are short enough that they play while I'm reading.

I would go with more CGs. I like being able to re-live the story by looking through the gallery of CGs.

Theme songs are nice as @Ziassan pointed out.

Susan
EDIT: Misspelled my name. :oops:
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Voice acting all the way. It's the most immersive part of a game if done well, so if you're able to produce quality voice acting, go for it!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by jack_norton »

SusanTheCat wrote: I actually avoid games that are fully voiced. I find that it slows me down because I can read faster than the voice, so I either have to wait for the voice to be over, or I get choppy sentences.
What if the game allowed the option to automatically advance the text, I mean after each sentence? it would be almost like watching a tv show / cartoon ? (maybe is already possible with voiced games setting auto-advance, I admit I never tried it). In this case I think would be nice and reading speed wouldn't be that important...
computer games

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

#9 Post by ScottySeng »

I'm in agreement with Susan, I also usually skip listening to the voices because I read faster without them.

I'd go for more art or more storyline instead of voice acting. That's just my opinion though.

I never got along with the automatic text advancing in VNs. It would always either be too fast or too slow at times.

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#10 Post by luminarious »

I am also far too impatient to listen to voices. I want to read at my own pace.

As for the topic, a theme song or ending song is always nice to have, but there is literally no way to have too much art in your visual novel.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#11 Post by fleet »

I like voice acting in games.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Van Knox
Regular

#12 Post by Van Knox »

SusanTheCat wrote:This is strange.

I actually avoid games that are fully voiced. I find that it slows me down because I can read faster than the voice, so I either have to wait for the voice to be over, or I get choppy sentences.

I do like when short parts are voiced (like battle cries, greetings, exclamations) Those are short enough that they play while I'm reading.

I would go with more CGs. I like being able to re-live the story by looking through the gallery of CGs.

Theme songs are nice as @Ziassan pointed out.

Susan
EDIT: Misspelled my name. :oops:
Question, do you also avoid games that have voices but come with the option to turn voice acting off?

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by SusanTheCat »

If I got a game and it happened to be fully voiced, but I had the option of turning the voice off, I would still play it.
If I got a game and it happened to be fully voiced, but I could not turn the voice off, I would stop playing it.
If it said "Fully Voiced! (optional)" I would still consider it.

If it said "Fully Voiced!" and only mentioned the option to turn it off somewhere in the fine print, I would avoid it.

Ideally, I would like two versions -- one with voices and one without. Then the one without would be smaller to download. :)

For people who like Voice-Acting, who you pay more to get a voiced version if both versions were available? e.g. Non-Voiced = $20 and Voiced = $25

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by jack_norton »

SusanTheCat wrote: For people who like Voice-Acting, who you pay more to get a voiced version if both versions were available? e.g. Non-Voiced = $20 and Voiced = $25
I got some people in my forums who said that, they would pay more for voiced version. I think, from male point of view (but maybe also female?) playing a romance (or even sexy :D) game with a nice, charming female voice would indeed add more to the atmosphere than simply reading "cold" text :mrgreen:
computer games

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#15 Post by papillon »

A lot of the hardcore otome fangirls (the ones who import games from Japan) are very, very into the sexy voices. However, caveat: they're very into the Japanese voices (and a lot of fans despise English dubbing) and given that even many of the import fans have shaky japanese language skills, the voicing is pretty important in trying to understand what's going on in a way that it isn't for an English games.