The Legacy Project - [Space Opera] (Updated 13/04)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ruuube

The Legacy Project - [Space Opera] (Updated 13/04)

#1 Post by Ruuube »

Pictured: Not our protagonist, but a concept of a main character of ours, Julian.
Hello and a warm greeting from all of us at 4amGames.

We're a group developing The Legacy Project (working title), a Space Opera Visual Novel. We've been together since mid January, and since then we've hammered out a plot, some music, some character concepts, scriptwriting and we're edging our way out of preproduction as we speak.

So, what is the Legacy Project about? It's the story of a crew embarking on a mission of discovery, with our protagonist Simon playing the role of the executive officer on board. The mission he and his crew are assigned to do is investigate a previously overlooked planet, based on a rather peculiar drone report. I'd really not like to give away much more than that, but if you are interested, we have a very slightly more significant plot included in this blog post.

This is usually the portion where I outline the full character casting. For us at 4am, it's been planned to reveal our characters one by one. Sure, we throw out concepts of unreleased characters here and there, but we don't describe them. So I'll keep hush hush, but I will say that we've just revealed our first character on the blog. I'll also say that we do indeed have the entire main cast already decided, and their backstories fleshed out. And I will come back here and update the thread when we have new characters announced -- and even better still, every time I come back, I'll post some new concept art for you.

So, why am I here? Well, we'd love for you to support our project. I know I can speak for myself at least when I say this has become much, much more than a hobby for me -- It's actually starting to encroach on my real job. We've all grown very attached to this baby of ours and we'd love to share a little bit of that attachment with you guys. We're at 4amgames.net and there you can find our DevBlog, our Forums and our Twitter, as well as our IRC channel information.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Ruuube on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amarrez
Regular
Projects: Memento Vivere

Re: The Legacy Project - [Space Opera]

#2 Post by Amarrez »

I remember reading about this on /v/. Wish you and your team luck, man, I love the Space Opera genre in its entirety.

Ruuube

#3 Post by Ruuube »

Amarrez wrote:I remember reading about this on /v/. Wish you and your team luck, man, I love the Space Opera genre in its entirety.
Thanks, we've got a lot of love for it too, hopefully we can do something brilliant with the theme.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#4 Post by Camille »

I love space operas! This seems like a pretty ambitious project, but I wish you all luck. I'll definitely be keeping up with this to see where it goes. (:

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

Ooo, space opera. Here's wishing you good luck with that.

I am also hoping for lesbians, space pirates, lesbian space pirates, and girls with rayguns. :)

ActionSage
Regular
Projects: LMA

#6 Post by ActionSage »

I have a feeling that this project will be really good. Well like everyone else,I wish you guys luck.
Come see what we're making in the labs! Project Updates, Artwork, and more at http://luminouslabs.blogspot.com/
Visual Novel Project:Liquid Metal Angel

Ruuube

#7 Post by Ruuube »

Camille wrote:I love space operas! This seems like a pretty ambitious project, but I wish you all luck. I'll definitely be keeping up with this to see where it goes. (:
Much appreciated, if you get the time, hop on our public IRC -- our french translator is getting lonely in there and it's starting to have side effects
papillon wrote:Ooo, space opera. Here's wishing you good luck with that.

I am also hoping for lesbians, space pirates, lesbian space pirates, and girls with rayguns. :)
I err... can't promise any of those things :D
ActionSage wrote:I have a feeling that this project will be really good. Well like everyone else,I wish you guys luck.
We very much hope so. Thanks for your support.

Ruuube

#8 Post by Ruuube »

As promised, we've revealed a new character (albeit two days late.)

Come to the blog and check out Nomura! http://4amgames.net/blog/

Ruuube

#9 Post by Ruuube »

We released a snippet of some music today, something to hold everyone over until the next character showcase. http://4amgames.net/blog/

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The Legacy Project - [Space Opera] (Updated 13/04)

#10 Post by gekiganwing »

Looking at your blog, I can see several things which Legacy Project will not discuss. To wit: "It won’t have any aliens, lolis, nor any mecha..." And it appears you're trying to avoid a story full of moeblobs.

But what exactly are you trying to achieve? Do you want to create a plot-driven science fiction story? Do you want to create a visual novel with new or unusual gameplay? Do you want to create a different kind of harem game, or perhaps one that will deconstruct and examine the genre?

Thanks for reading this. I don't mean to be difficult, but I'd like to understand your goals and intentions.

Ruuube

#11 Post by Ruuube »

gekiganwing wrote:Looking at your blog, I can see several things which Legacy Project will not discuss. To wit: "It won’t have any aliens, lolis, nor any mecha..." And it appears you're trying to avoid a story full of moeblobs.

But what exactly are you trying to achieve? Do you want to create a plot-driven science fiction story? Do you want to create a visual novel with new or unusual gameplay? Do you want to create a different kind of harem game, or perhaps one that will deconstruct and examine the genre?

Thanks for reading this. I don't mean to be difficult, but I'd like to understand your goals and intentions.
First and foremost we're trying to create a plot-driven science fiction story. One that the player will feel involved in, and have impact in. At the same time, there will be romance, but we're trying to balance that as finely as possible with the overarching plot -- one should compliment the other without the romance becoming the sole focus of the game. We're experimenting with the idea of potential playthroughs with no romance at all, but I'm already saying too much.

Long story short, plot driven visual novel.

Ruuube

#12 Post by Ruuube »

A spot has opened up for an artist.

If you're interested, head into the Rizon IRC and join #Legacychat.

We'd love to talk to you.

Ruuube

#13 Post by Ruuube »

New character up on the blog!