Summer Found Me [GxB][Slice of life]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
GlassHeart
Regular
Completed: Hand in hand with destiny, Out of Sight, Summer Found Me (Again), Signed X, Trapped
itch: https://selavi.itch.

Summer Found Me [GxB][Slice of life]

#1 Post by GlassHeart »

The game

Hello everyone! After almost a year since I began making my first game, I've completed the demo. Took me long enough, huh? This project has had it's ups and downs, I almost gave up after not working on it for a few months, but now that it's past the 80% completion mark, I think it's a good time to introduce the game to the public.

Yes, it's yet another GxB game. While it may not be revolutionary, I think it's a fun little game and hey, it's free. ^_^
I'm doing everything on this game except for the CGs which are being done by Zylinder (thank you!!!) and the music and sound effects which are royalty-free resources found online. I will give credit to everyone at the end of the final version as they deserve it.

Here are some screenshots from the game:

The demo

The Demo contains the first 2 days out of a total of 7.
It has about 7700 words which constitutes 16-17% of the full game.
Play time: around 20 minutes depending on your choices.

Rating (I'm not really sure about this)
maybe 12+? In the full game as well as the demo there are some bad words, some references to violence and illegal activity and maybe some slight innuendos but nothing is actually shown.

Plot and Characters

This is where one would normally add detailed character description and tell you the premise, but instead I'll let my characters do the talking.

Cherri: "Sup y'all. I'm Cherri and this here's a romance game for girls. Wanna chase cute guys but are scared they won't like you back? Welcome to the world of otome games. That's Japanese for "maiden". "

Cherri: "I'm here to talk to you today about the awesomely titled game 'Summer found me.' You'll be taking the role of my best friend, Iris. You can change her name if you're into the whole immersion thing."

Cherri: "While you won't be moving to a new school or fulfilling a promise you made to some faceless boy when you were a child, I can't honestly say this is a groundbreaking game. However you can pursue cute guys and who doesn't like that?"

Seth: "Most guys and probably some of the girls."

Cherri: "Shhh! Not yet. I haven't introduced you."

Cherri: "Heheh. Moving right along. So the story is this: you have just finished high school and you want to confess to this guy, Alden. You've had a crush on him for about two years."

Alden: "Eeeh? M-me?"

Cherri: "Dammit, Alden!"

Alden: "Sorry. I'll pretend I didn't hear that."

Cherri: "So. You wanna tell this guy you like him, but stuff keeps getting in the way, and you have your doubts about the whole thing. Are you doing the right thing? Oh, teenage angst."

Cherri: "But now you've finally decided to do it! Tomorrow is the day!"

Cherri: "*mysterious voice* So how will it all go down? Will you get your guy in the end? Or maybe along the way you will discover that some things are better left unsaid."

Cherri: "Play and find out!"

Devlin: "Can you introduce us already? I have stuff to do."

Cherri: "Now, let's introduce the characters, *mutters* since they're so eager."

Cherri: "To my right is Seth. My and Iris's cynical, nerdy and talented friend and classmate, and the much needed voice of reason of our group. He's a pretty cool guy once you get to know him. Say hi!"

Seth: "Hi!"

*Cherri pokes him*

Seth: "Hello everyone! I'm Seth and I like nerdy things."

Cherri: "Uhm... Seth loves writing fan-fiction, playing video games and watching anime. He hates dancing and... socializing to an extent. Want to add anything else?"

Seth: "..."

Cherri: "Right. This lovely young man here is Alden."

Alden: "Hey everyone! My name is Alden Pierce. I'm 18, I love music, reading and photography. I like meeting new people and my friends tell me I'm easy to get along with. I don't know about that, though..."

Cherri: "Oh, Alden. *slaps him on the back* You're adorable. "

Alden: "Ow."

Cherri: "Now that's how it's done, Seth."

Seth: "Hmph."

Cherri: "Last but not least is Devlin."

Cherri: "Where the hell is he? Devlin?!"

*Devlin eases in at right*

Devlin: "Relax, I was just getting a soda."

Cherri: "Just introduce yourself already!"

Devlin: "Sup. I'm Devlin and *takes a sip* self-introductions are stupid."

Cherri: "Dear God, not another one!"

Cherri: "Just tell them about yourself! How do you want to get girls to play with this attitude?!"

Devlin: "What do I care who plays?"

Cherri: "I'll have you know I have connections! I can get the creator of the game to make you really fat and ugly. And gay."

Devlin: "What? But I like girls!"

Cherri: "Not for long."

Seth: "Uhh...In that case I have to be somewhere."

Devlin: "Oh shut up, you're not even my type!"

Alden:"Oh no, it's starting!"

Devlin: "Pshh. There's like two girls in this whole game, I'd rather be gay anyway!"

Seth: "I'm sorry to break it to you like this, but there are only three guys... And one of them is you..."

Devlin: "I'll be bi then!"

Alden: "I don't think that's up to you. Being gay isn't a choice, it's something you- "

Seth: "Um... Devlin, was it? No one wants you anyway. It's all about the childhood friend who's been in love with the girl all along, don't you know?"

Devlin: "What's that, Geeky McNerdypants? All I heard was "I'm a spineless friendzoned nerd who'll never get a girlfriend"."

Alden: "Guys, let's talk about this."

*fight breaks out in the background*

Cherri: "So Devlin's just your neighbor from across the hall. You'll find out all about him if you play the game and pursue him. I don't know who'd want that, though."

Cherri: "I almost forgot to tell you about me!"

*furniture is flying around.*

Cherri: "Hm... let's see. I tend to talk a lot and be... overly helpful. I get angry easily, but only because I care a lot about my friends. If you wanna know me, just talk to me. Especially if you're a cute guy. Tee hee. Oh wait, guys won't read this because it's a game for girls. Darn it!"

*Cherri gracefully dodges a chair*

Cherri: "That's all the time we have for today. I hope the other characters haven't put you off. I promise they're not usually like this. Please wait for the full release and cheer us on! Byee~!"

*fades to black*

Final words

Hope you liked that weird presentation... >.>
For more relevant info on the plot and characters you can go to my dev blog. Link's in my signature.
I really love visual novels and I would be really happy to contribute in my own way so please comment if you liked (or didn't like) the demo. Any sort of constructive criticism is welcome but keep in mind the game is close to completion so I won't be able to change anything major.

Download demo

Windows
Mac
Linux
Last edited by GlassHeart on Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

Re: Summer Found Me [GxB][Slice of life]

#2 Post by distorsion »

Just finished the demo. I thought it was great that the game seems to be made in a way that you don't have to pretty much stalk a guy to get all his scenes in one play through.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Raindrops
Regular
Projects: My Secret Spring (Co-writer & Proofreader), [Secret]

#3 Post by Raindrops »

I just finished playing the demo and I really like it! The story is good so far and I like how you've split the day into different times xD
I got most points with Devlin, but it was granted since his storyline seemed like a pretty good :) The art is nice as well and I was amazed to see what you had done with the preferences screen, main menu, etc. It was really pretty *0*
Only thing I found wrong with it was the fact you spelt jealous wrong. I can't remember when but that was it xD
TOPofBB
All my life, my heart has yearned for a thing I cannot name.
- Andre Breton

GlassHeart
Regular
Completed: Hand in hand with destiny, Out of Sight, Summer Found Me (Again), Signed X, Trapped

#4 Post by GlassHeart »

@ distorsion
While it's perfectly possible to get all the scenes for a guy in one playthrough, it's probably a bit hard since not all the choices are so obvious. I think that's a good thing though, to have to do some exploring. :P

@ raindrops
I'm glad you liked the game and art!
I admit Devlin's path did have the more interesting development in the beginning. I tried not to make a character more interesting than the rest, but he does have to stand out as the more dangerous one.
Thanks for pointing that typo out. I really need to get an editor to read my stuff when I publish the full game.
Image Image

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#5 Post by Obscura »

I'm in the middle of playing the demo right now...just want to say this looks beautiful. The game feels really polished and you paid attention to details!

I like how the personalities are humorous and distinct from one another. Very impressed! Ok, just taking a moment to reply. Going back to your game...
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

GlassHeart
Regular

#6 Post by GlassHeart »

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You really made me want to try harder to make the final game that much better! :D
Image Image

Raindrops
Regular

#7 Post by Raindrops »

It's just a little quirk of mine to make sure all grammar and spelling is up to standard ^^ It annoys people sometimes xD
If you want, I could proofread for you...*shot*
TOPofBB
- Andre Breton

kialaa
Projects: Chronophobia

#8 Post by kialaa »

I thought the day was pretty fun kinda excitied for the game now. There were a few missed words and small errors, but I kinda forgot where.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#9 Post by SilverxBlue »

Oh, Wow. I remember giving my opinions on this game last year and I thought you've already dropped this project. ^^;

The art is really lovely, but somehow, Cherri and Iris looks too much alike. If I didn't know they were the best of friends, I would have thought they were twin sisters. o_O

For rating, maybe 13+ would be fine, since there are constant swearing. *remembers Devlin*

Anyway, good luck and I'll be looking forward to its release!

By the way, I'm calling dibs on Seth! (:<
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

GlassHeart
Regular

#10 Post by GlassHeart »

@ Raindrops
It doesn't annoy me at all, because you're actually helping me. Plus I can always use the "english is not my first language" excuse. Haha ^^
If you really want to proofread for me, I feel I should mention it has about 45k words, but I could devide it up and have more people help me.

@ kialaa
Thanks for your comment. :D I'll do my best to fix any mistakes when the full game is out.

@ SilverxBlue
Hey there, I remember you. I did almost give up, but I'm back now :P
Hm... I guess I did concentrate more on the guys and making them distinct. I'm not usually a manga artist (not much of an artist anyway) so my faces turn up similar. In my mind Cherri has a rounder face, is shorter and generally cuter.
I don't think there was *constant* swearing. Just a little bit. :lol: He never says the f-word, though if this was a more realistic game, he would've. ^^;
Image Image

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#11 Post by distorsion »

GlassHeart wrote:@ distorsion
While it's perfectly possible to get all the scenes for a guy in one playthrough, it's probably a bit hard since not all the choices are so obvious. I think that's a good thing though, to have to do some exploring. :P
Ah, sorry I probably didn't get my meaning across very well. -_-' *sucks at communicating*
Let me try again. What I meant was was you had time to play around and interact with the different characters, get to know all of them instead of having to pick one person per play and hope you end up liking them.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

GlassHeart
Regular

#12 Post by GlassHeart »

Oh, I get it now ^^; I did try to do just that. The game makes you have at least a few meetings with each of the characters so the player can get to know them better even if they're not pursuing them. This ties to the story well I think, since you (as the main character) start out liking Alden but the other guys are just.... there, so you have to notice them, right? :lol:
Image Image

Raindrops
Regular

#13 Post by Raindrops »

GlassHeart wrote:@ Raindrops
It doesn't annoy me at all, because you're actually helping me. Plus I can always use the "english is not my first language" excuse. Haha ^^
If you really want to proofread for me, I feel I should mention it has about 45k words, but I could devide it up and have more people help me.
It's fine ^^ I'd be more than happy to help you proofread! xD Though I might as well mention now that once Easter is over my exams begin so it'll be hell...
Just drop me a PM when you need help ^^
TOPofBB
- Andre Breton

Dakishimete
Regular
Projects: The Cave
Organization: Fudaki Productions

#14 Post by Dakishimete »

OK, so first I have to say that this demo is very good from technique point of view, but then it gets worse.
Of course don't be offended, but it surely has it flaws. I understand that Devlin is love interest, but the way he talks to the protagonist is just wrong. I am fully aware how love-hate or teasing looks like and the way he acts is too mean to make it possible for him to be interested in the main character. Unless he's slowly going to change his mind, it'll seem unrealistic.
Also, sorry for saying that, but to me Iris was one of the most irritating characters I have met. She gets angry at Devlin for silly reasons and the fact that she's so crazy about Alden makes me irritated even more. If it's a GxB game with a possible choice of the guy, I don't want to be oh-so-crazy-in-fluffy-love-involving-mostly-stalking-on-facebook in a guy that's not even my type. Of course, I understand that it's important for the plot, but making her less obsessive and more mature about this wouldn't hurt.

GlassHeart
Regular

#15 Post by GlassHeart »

First off, thanks for your critique. I know the main character is pretty annoying at first, and I (think I) know what I was doing. She IS going to get better. She's not really that crazy and some parts are there for comedic reasons. Also, I thought it would be interesting to deviate from the usual VN starting point where the girl has no feelings for any of the boys.

I tried to make a more outspoken heroine. In quite a few VNs I've played, the mc always has some mean comebacks IN HER HEAD! She never says them and that always annoys me. I guess I've fallen into the other extreme, my mc is too outspoken. And I actually received some comments about Devlin not being mean enough to the main character. I thought I reached a good balance, but I guess I can't please everyone. :(

I'm really sorry you didn't like the demo. Maybe if you'll play the final version you'll like it more? Thank you again for you comment.
Image Image