Ristorante Amore [NaNoRenO 2012] +German translation

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Ristorante Amore [NaNoRenO 2012]

#46 Post by Camille »

@teacup: XD Interesting theories! I've heard a few other ones, but yours were pretty creative. Yeah, our story wasn't quite that crazy. xD I would have loved to add in more stuff like that if we'd had more time, though. But I'm glad that you got over the shock and enjoyed it in the end. n_n We wanted to have a slightly different kind of story than what people would be used to, that's all. XD Hopefully we didn't freak you out too much!

@Julie: The endings are all-or-nothing. Each "correct" choice gives you +1 point and you only get the romantic ending if you have 3 points. So if you want one of the friendship endings, you just have to make sure you answer at least one choice "incorrectly", that's all. :3 I think Liam's bad ending is pretty memorable, so you would definitely remember it if you've already seen it, I would think. XD;; Anyway, I'm really glad that you're enjoying the game. There's just a little bit more for you to see and then you're just about finished! :D Thanks for playing!

@frederic09: Thank you so much for playing and filling out the survey. *_* I'm glad you liked it~

@krasotka1: Thank you! *__* It will be a while before we release any new games, but I hope you can await them patiently. ^^ Thank you for the support.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#47 Post by Obscura »

I'm in the middle of the game right now. I just wanted to let you guys know this is incredibly polished. I can't believe you did this in a month.

So much attention to detail. When I see the transitions (e.g, "later that day..."), I'm like "OMG, that's so cool!" Never thought I'd be so excited by transitions.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

bellice
Veteran

#48 Post by bellice »

Honestly, I'm impressed.
During the prolouge I was like "Meh, just another typical otome game...there we have the jock (Liam), the tsundere (Ethan) and the prince (Pierre)...kinda short, though". And then the post-prolouge story started and at first I was completly confused, because I had no idea what character I was playing and why the heck they were suddenly talking about some kind of planet and complaining about what a clutz Lily is.
And then I realised this was not an otome anymore and I couldn't have been happier.
Also, Laura.
Suddenly she was like "Bitch, I can kick your ass" and I was like "Please do."

As you can see, I'm impressed enough to be unable to build sentences that do not make me sound like a moron.
Long story short: YAY something that's not an otome. YAY great art. YAY fun story. YAY Laura. YAY you guys rock!

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#49 Post by Obscura »

After playing the prologue....bravo! That was a completely unexpected twist. At first I was confused but then I was like, "OMG this is awesome!"
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#50 Post by Camille »

@Obscura: Thank you so much! We pay a great deal of attention to details and things like transitions and whatnot, so I'm glad you noticed them. ;; Things like that tend to blend into the background sometime, but they require a lot of work. XD I'm happy you enjoyed playing our game!

@bellice: Yay, thanks! We worked pretty hard to make the twist a surprise without it being too unpleasant. I'm glad you enjoyed the post-prologue. Laura was a lot of fun to write. <3 I'm really happy that you liked the game, the story, and the art. *_*

A note to everyone else... Today I've posted up hints on the website. I will probably post a full walkthrough either tonight or tomorrow, but I think these should help most people who were having trouble getting endings. Beware of spoilers!

greenheartnellie
Regular

#51 Post by greenheartnellie »

This is so cool! You guys did a great job. I love the art and the story and everything, plus I like the whole twist there and stuff :D I got a few endings already but I still have a few more to finish. I haven't even unlocked a single CG as of this moment so I'll be working on it :D
Can sorta write but CAN'T art so I am just here for the otomes! Ahihihi <3

Valkyrie

#52 Post by Valkyrie »

I love the art and the plot of this game :D

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Camille »

@greenheartnellie: Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Good luck completing the game!

@Valkyrie: Thanks so much. :3 I'm glad you thought so.

The walkthroughs are now also up on the website. I will edit the first post so that they're more visible.

sporkysan
Regular

Re: Ristorante Amore [NaNoRenO 2012] / Hints+Walkthroughs up

#54 Post by sporkysan »

I wrote a really long reply to the survey. Actually took me about an hour or so to finish. But I thought I would post here too to let everyone know how awesome the game was. Unless anyone wants me to summarize my thoughts again here, I'll refrain from repeating myself.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#55 Post by Camille »

sporkysan wrote:I wrote a really long reply to the survey. Actually took me about an hour or so to finish. But I thought I would post here too to let everyone know how awesome the game was. Unless anyone wants me to summarize my thoughts again here, I'll refrain from repeating myself.
Did your response contain this bit:
I really liked the game overall. It was enjoyable and I ended up getting distracted from my work to finish it.
? Because you brought up some excellent concerns that I'd like to address. I was just reading your survey and thinking "I really wish I knew who this was so I could answer some of this!!"

sporkysan
Regular

#56 Post by sporkysan »

Yes. That was me. What would you like to talk about?

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#57 Post by Camille »

Ooh yay! So I can answer you, after all. XD Ok well, first of all, some of the ways you interpreted the characters (especially Liam) were pretty much exactly how I intended them to be (and quite a few people missed this), so I was really happy when I saw comments such as this:
"Liam's friendship ending was the tie breaker. There is something a little creepy about him. He is so close to being a character that would make you uncomfortable [...] I think Liam's good ending might be my second favorite scene. There is a little more creepy in this one, but it is offset by how cute everything is, especially when Josh is embarrassed. I love that Liam doesn't care that everyone is watching. If anything, I imagine he probably enjoys it more when others watch cause it makes Josh squirm a little more."
Personally, I was a little sad when a few people said they found Liam's post-prologue ending unrealistic/cheesy, though I understood where they were coming from. It's easy to view it that way when you take the scene at face value. However, this is what I actually intended:
I actually view that [Liam's romantic ending] as a lot more sinister than most people might. XD; He confessed in public and then guilt-tripped Josh almost immediately afterward, more or less clinching a positive response. In that kind of situation, it's easier for Josh to get swept away and not stop and think "Wait, do I really love him?" And Liam knew this and calculated it perfectly so that he also showed up after weeks of Josh not seeing him. The reason why he doesn't do this in the bad/friendship ending is because up to that point, Josh hadn't been showing him as much of a positive/romantic response, so he began to realize that it would be hopeless--hence him getting drunk/tipsy so he'd have the courage to confess and finally end things. At least, that's how I thought of it. D:
So yes, that made me very happy. Also, re: the backgrounds, Auro did actually paint over all of them like so:

They weren't simply photoshopped, though I can see why people would think that way. You kind of have to do a double-take when you look at the BGs, I think, because there are times where it looks very painted and times where it looks very much like a photoshopped photo.

Ok now for some of the negatives...
And the whole idea that a planet runs on love is a bit silly, but forgivable since the rest of the game is so wonderful. I feel like the story could have done without the alternate planet needing energy plot. It's not really that important so feel free to skip this if you don't agree. This next part is just me thinking aloud. For example, people could know that there are actors playing the parts of characters in visual novels and in the future, that's a popular gimmick. The whole industry in the future can be based on this since it sells well. Perhaps it feels more immersive. Girls buy crazy virtual reality devices so that they see and feel what Lilly* sees and feels.
We realize that the backstory, if it really counts as one, is pretty weak. We took a "Monsters Inc" approach to it. The main reason for this is that I wanted there to be a reason for why they were acting, but one that wouldn't set up a huge overarching plot. I wanted to keep the story simple so that I could realistically finish the entire script in a month. Given more time, I would have loved to have a more complicated storyline and a better reason for the characters doing what they were doing. Also, quite a few people have said that the change from prologue to post-prologue was way too abrupt and confusing at first. I didn't really think about it at the time, but you're all right about that. I don't know if we'll be making another game with such a huge plot twist, but if it happens, I'll try to have more foreshadowing and make it a bit more gradual instead of sudden. So thank you for that!
While it is fine to do that, what would have made the game phenomenal and stand out from others is that if the choices you made earlier also had a visible impact on dialogue or story later. They don't have to drastically change the story, but it gives the game some reply value and feels like my choices matter more than just getting an ending.
Again, this was due to our time constraints. ;_; In our other game, Break Chance Memento, there is actually a variable list that keeps track of *every decision you make* in the game. Even seemingly minor conversational options will have repercussions later, either big or small. The other characters remember what you've said so even if you trigger a good/bad ending, if you've made certain choices, they will still influence the ending even if the general idea/what happens is the same. This is something that's very important to Auro and to me, but unfortunately the time constraints on RisAmo made this not possible. I quite literally finished writing Laura's route a mere 7-8 hours before we released the game. ^^;;; If/when we do an extended version of RisAmo in the future--where we're not bound by such time constraints--that is probably the first thing I'd add in.
Aaaand to answer this other comment you had:
I kinda of wonder what happened to Josh and Liam after Liam cuts ties with him.
I like to think that Josh and Liam both end up happy even after this happens. Maybe a few years down the line, once it doesn't hurt so much anymore, Liam can come back and be friends with Josh again. Do I think they can ever be *best* friends again? No. You don't simply *get over* a deep, 10-year one-sided love... But Liam is strong and confident enough that I think he can eventually be happy with someone else and in the end, he's just happy to see Josh happy. In all the post-prologue routes, Liam quits his job (as a waiter/busser) at Ristorante. I think that this is his way of distancing himself from Josh. So even though he is a little obsessed with Josh and very much in love with him, he doesn't cause trouble once Josh goes for other people. He even helps out on the Josh/Ethan route. The bad ending is just a worst-case scenario where he has already quit, but Josh is still being insensitive/oblivious and clinging to him "because they're best friends". Liam, knowing that they can't be together the way he wants and hurt by this, finally ends things instead of just fading out of view slowly. I imagine he would need a very long time to himself after that because he's normally the type that just laughs things off instead of showing how he really feels. The bad ending is probably the most genuine/honest you ever see Liam in the entire game. Josh would also need a long time to get over it, but he's naturally more optimistic, so I think it would be much easier for him. So yeah, the bad ending is just terrible for Liam. :C It pained me to write it and I'm glad (and yet also sad) that so many people have responded to it like they have.
So there is that! I really, really appreciate you taking time out of your day to fill in the survey in such a detailed way--especially giving us good constructive criticism about the things you didn't like so much. We both take the survey responses very seriously and try to see if we can incorporate players' suggestions in later projects. Since this is our first finished project ever released (and done in such a short amount of time), there are surely mistakes and things wrong with it, but we hope that everyone can look forward to our next game(s). :D

sporkysan
Regular

#58 Post by sporkysan »

Oh wow. Thanks very much for responding to my concerns. It didn't actually expect such a through response.

Liam:
I love deconstructing characters and picking apart Liam was the most fun. That is probably why he is favorite. I think the reason why some people find Liam distasteful is because
manipulative people are not popular. Liam is a little manipulative. Like you said, he purposely leaves Josh alone so Josh will realize that he misses Liam. And if Liam was more sinister and/or selfish, he would be the type to always do things like that to make Josh think he loves Liam. We just assume that manipulative people are selfish and creepy, but Liam actually loves Josh. If he didn't care about Josh's happiness then he would have butted in during Josh's other romances or not taken no for an answer during the friendship ending. I've dealt with someone who is manipulative and selfish. Liam is nothing like that person. Liam just knows that he needs to give Josh a little embarrassing nudge in the right direction. I suppose calculating is a better word to describe Liam. To be fair though, I have a soft spot for slightly dysfunctional characters that are honestly good at heart.
And now that I've defended Liam's honor...

backgrounds:
Painting over the photos was a great idea. Aura did an amazing job. That is probably why backgrounds didn't look glaringly different from the sprites.

World building
I understand about the time constraints. I guessed that is why there were some weird flaws in this otherwise amazing game. I've been somewhat spoiled by games like Mass Effect where there is a lot of world building going on. So for me where there is a background that feels a little off or incomplete, it bothers me.

Honestly, I don't think I could have done a better job with the backstory. I would have probably either scraped the project or come up with a simple idea and just hand wave it off, hoping the audience will suspend their disbelief, because sometimes it is just worth it. In this case, it was very much worth it. The rest of the story was pretty solid in comparison so what if there was a little sci-fi magic? I'll just pretend that air tight logical.

But I am excited about the idea of a future game with foreshadowing. Good foreshadowing makes a story feel well thought out, even if it is added after the first draft. Not like the audience will ever know. It is also fun to find the foreshadowing when replaying/rewatching/rereading a story. It makes it more rewarding to go back to a story that you love. "Hey, look what I noticed this time! It was a clue left for me."
Choices:
Camille wrote:
Again, this was due to our time constraints. ;_; In our other game, Break Chance Memento, there is actually a variable list that keeps track of *every decision you make* in the game. Even seemingly minor conversational options will have repercussions later, either big or small. The other characters remember what you've said so even if you trigger a good/bad ending, if you've made certain choices, they will still influence the ending even if the general idea/what happens is the same. This is something that's very important to Auro and to me, but unfortunately the time constraints on RisAmo made this not possible. I quite literally finished writing Laura's route a mere 7-8 hours before we released the game. ^^;;; If/when we do an extended version of RisAmo in the future--where we're not bound by such time constraints--that is probably the first thing I'd add in.
Okay, know that you said that, I am really excited to play Break Chance Memento. I heard about it a while back, but knowing this has gotten me really ramped up. I'm really glad that this is important to you and Auro since it is something I find lacking in a lot of games. It takes a lot of work and dedication to write and plan out. Good luck on the game. I can't wait for the release.

Lastly:
Camille wrote:
I like to think that Josh and Liam both end up happy even after this happens. Maybe a few years down the line, once it doesn't hurt so much anymore, Liam can come back and be friends with Josh again. Do I think they can ever be *best* friends again? No. You don't simply *get over* a deep, 10-year one-sided love... But Liam is strong and confident enough that I think he can eventually be happy with someone else and in the end, he's just happy to see Josh happy. In all the post-prologue routes, Liam quits his job (as a waiter/busser) at Ristorante. I think that this is his way of distancing himself from Josh. So even though he is a little obsessed with Josh and very much in love with him, he doesn't cause trouble once Josh goes for other people. He even helps out on the Josh/Ethan route. The bad ending is just a worst-case scenario where he has already quit, but Josh is still being insensitive/oblivious and clinging to him "because they're best friends". Liam, knowing that they can't be together the way he wants and hurt by this, finally ends things instead of just fading out of view slowly. I imagine he would need a very long time to himself after that because he's normally the type that just laughs things off instead of showing how he really feels. The bad ending is probably the most genuine/honest you ever see Liam in the entire game. Josh would also need a long time to get over it, but he's naturally more optimistic, so I think it would be much easier for him. So yeah, the bad ending is just terrible for Liam. :C It pained me to write it and I'm glad (and yet also sad) that so many people have responded to it like they have.
That is bittersweet and I sorta of want to see someone write this out from Liam's or Josh's (or both) perspective.

Things I forgot to mention:
The extra with the ranking is so cute. Thank you very much for the that. I loved the snark.

Also I went back and replayed the prologue.
I forgot exactly when but I was playing through Liam's route when the tag about his text started calling Pierre, Josh. It starts out by labeling him as Pierre, but then after the second(?) decision tree the label switches to Josh. Everyone else in the game still continues to call him Pierre though. Not sure if that was on accident or on purpose.
I should try again on Pierre and Ethan's route to see if it does that there too.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#59 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

sporkysan wrote: backgrounds:
Painting over the photos was a great idea. Aura did an amazing job. That is probably why backgrounds didn't look glaringly different from the sprites.
Granted, some of the photos were way less worked with than others. The restaurant was the first and had the most done to it (also, it was a bloody terrible photo. That's what you get from trying to do a walk by photos while the waiters aren't looking) and as a result I think it looks nicer than the others. I'm going to be using a similar process for BCM but I'll be putting in much more effort since I won't be trying to do 6 backgrounds every weekend XD There is definitely space to do more painting and more edits to make them more natural.

Kitten the Cat
Regular
Projects: The Onigami House [NaNo12], Beyond the Veil [NaNo14]
Organization: Riceball Games

#60 Post by Kitten the Cat »

Lol I think I pretty much have the same idea as everyone else...

With the Prologue I was squealing so much, being an obsessed otome fan (and the game is right, I am probably masochistic to go after Ethan XD)

So yes upon getting to the main game XD I initially felt trolled ^^;;

But... the production quality is AMAZING. Everything looks so good. Art, UI, writing, music... can't believe this took only a month to do.

I will try to write a better review as I play through the game a couple of times more. ^_^
Currently working on Beyond the Veil, our NaNoRenO '14 entry.