That Cheap and Sacred Thing - Drama/Sci-fi

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

Re: That Cheap and Sacred Thing - Drama/Sci-fi

#241 Post by carosene »

Thank you shyanne4cad, awesomeautumn! Glad you guys enjoyed, and thanks for dropping a comment. :D

@saguaro: Ah ha, I'm glad you thought Autumn has a strong voice! :D I wondered about that myself.
Yeah, I think we decided somewhere that the plot was influenced intentionally or unintentionally by AI. XD There's definitely a relation.
There's definitely a delicate balance between the short story and the kinetic novel. :3 Glad you think I came out on the strong side of it.
LOL please don't trust me blindly! XD I don't think one work is enough to judge an author on. But Love and Keggers will be very short, so you won't have to trust me for too long. XD

@JogiSenpai: Don't be embarrassed! You're not the first guy to cry. XD I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Your English is fine! Make no apologies. And thanks for the good future wishes! X3
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Liznevada

#242 Post by Liznevada »

Beautiful, just Beautiful...
i cry when Jude boots Elly memory unit, and then elly's theme starts to play. and when Autumn "kill" Jude
i want to translate this game to my native language (spanish)!! :3

grats, a very emotional story...very touching..ack im crying now... :wink:
btw cheryl reminds me of my stepmother...what a bitch.

Kizhusa

#243 Post by Kizhusa »

b... beautiful SAWB y-u-no-include-happy-ending T^T

greenheartnellie
Regular

#244 Post by greenheartnellie »

It was just so :cry: but it was so beautiful!
Can sorta write but CAN'T art so I am just here for the otomes! Ahihihi <3

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#245 Post by SusanTheCat »

This is a terrific example of what a Kinetic Novel can be. It was a beautiful mix of great writing, art, and music.

Kudos!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

carosene
Veteran

#246 Post by carosene »

Thank you guys so much for your lovely comments ;w;

@Kizhusa Well, it's kinda happy? XD I think it's happy... sorta... not really...
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

KissOfDeath
Regular
Projects: Ikofá (In Development)

#247 Post by KissOfDeath »

I just wish there was an alternate ending where Autumn and Jude run away together where there love could blossom secretly :'( But I guess some things are better left as they are....
I got my roommate to play it and she cried for literally 15 minutes, I had to calm her down. She just kept saying "this writing.....[sob]...is....[sob].......so BEAUTIFUL!......[more sobbing]."
"Build your own pyramids, write your own hieroglyphs." -Kendrick Lamar
-KissOfDeath

Completed:
RE:Set Episode(s) 1 and 2 (Proofreader)
*A Troll's Fairy Tale* http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=20160 (Proofreader)

carosene
Veteran

#248 Post by carosene »

That's the thing with bad endings in Visual Novels, at least to me, the story doesn't have an impact on me, instead I go "Oh, I did something wrong, let me go back and fix it." That's why I wanted to keep it kinetic, I wanted the ending to have meaning. :3

Oh thank your roommate for her kind comments! :D And thanks for sharing it with her! X3

OH MY GOD I JUST NOTICED TCAST HAS 10,000 DOWNLOADS. TCASTLAND HAS MORE RESIDENTS THAN MY HOMETOWN.
Wow, just, wow. ;-; Thank you so much to everyone who has taken a chance on this little robot kn.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

icecheetah
Regular

#249 Post by icecheetah »

It was a brilliant thing to take a chance on. I found a bit hard to read at first because, well, I get secondhand embarrasment VERY easily (much much more easily than the average person) but once there was no cause for that I was hooked!
I particularly like the Elly-in-Jude scenes. Normally, I don't like bodyswap things, but since it was consensual and all that could be affected knew about it, I could actually enjoy it!
I've shared this with a few people, though I have no idea if any of them actually tried it.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#250 Post by Wintermoon »

I cried.
But the thing that will remain with me long after I've forgotten the rest of the story is the vision of that dead girl with her skull cracked open. That was a direct blow to my biggest weak spot.

neo_surrealista

#251 Post by neo_surrealista »

Okay, I know, I'm mighty late to the party but I just couldn't stay sane without saying something. & after reading all 17 pages of comments, I feel like anything else I say will be redundant ('cause everyone else's comments are so awesome)… But Oh well, I’ll do it anyways.

I, too, specifically made this account to compliment the game & I cried a few rivers. As a fan of AI & Asimov, I definitely noted & enjoyed the references, too. & OMG I so happy someone else is obsessed with tvtropes too :D (I totally caught the "uncanny valley" in the game XD ).
I absolutely loved Autumn's character; you created such a believable bi/omnisexual character it’s amazing (as one myself I often feel we’re misrepresented/obscured). I was so sad to leave Autumn's world to return to this reality, such a pity. The artwork was so beautiful; I probably stared at it for 15 minutes alone (I wasn't the biggest fan of Autumn's face while eating pizza but I guess no one looks good after crying). The storyline was so lovely though & it flowed so naturally I totally understood how Jude came to love Autumn & vice versa.

I was sucked in by Autumn’s talk about the B-rated film. It was like straight from my head. No joke, I have often thought & reached the same sentiment. Her friends were also neat (nice to *finally* see a girl who wears a hoodie :). Plus they really helped the reader realize Autumn's attitude to robots is strikingly different from that of the average person’s. In fact, Zoe’s/Nadiya’s perspective, I think, are most common since people are more used to human nature & valuing them whereas Autumn is different. (sidenote: the name "Amorbot" was a bit confusing b/c it looked like ArmorBot but then I got the Latin reference). The depiction of Cheryl also accentuated the story (explains a lot about Autumn). I esp. liked Elly's story too b/c it's like you took the classic story behind a law & revealed the perspective everyone tries to ignore. That’s really impressive & I loved that detail.
I think the best part was how Jude's character was so ambiguously human & robot that people thought he was human. It really makes you question what it means to be human. What draws the line? In fact, I feel like he displayed more humanity than some of the humans in the novel. I personally think humans & robots are more similar than you’d think. After reading your author's notes on Jude & Elly, I was definitely able to appreciate the innocence vs. maturity thing too. & the full circle with the baseball bat? Simply superb. I feel like the violence & sacrifice just added to the whole discussion of what humanity really is & wasn’t out of character at all. I mean, she was sobbing the whole time doesn't that demonstrate how symbolic/hard it was for her?

In any case, the ending was beyond words dramatic, epic, & beautiful. Just stunning. & the epilogue tied any loose knots but was clever enough to still leave room for possible sequels. Well done! Now, THAT is damn. good. writing.(& clever title!)

Alright I'll end this essay here by just saying fantabulous job. You definitely deserved your award (& many others) & I really look forward to your future work (sequel? it's your call).

carosene
Veteran

#252 Post by carosene »

SO GUYS
KURA MADE A FANFIC THAT IS AWESOME ("Summary: Elly's always been ready to give Autumn anything she wants." 83)

AND AURO-CYANIDE MADE A FANART THAT IS AWESOME (Gorgeous headshot of Jude ;_;)

@icecheetah YES there is a long awkward section XD;; Sorry! I get it too sometimes. (also late replies are late ;_; )

@Wintermoon I'm sorry! Be strong!
HOLY CRAP YES that Leaux did a beautiful job with that image. o.o

@neo_surrealista WOW ALL SEVENTEEN PAGES YOU ARE A DEDICATED BOSS
I can't even reply on time

Wow thank you so much for making this account just to leave a comment, and I'm sorry about your tears! Please be strong! ;_;
You read Autumn as bi/omnisexual? 8D Very interesting! I'm glad to hear it! My idea of her sexuality is constantly changing (is her relationship with Elly platonic or not? etc.) so I love to hear about stuff. :3
Oh don't worry I'm going to misrepresent bisexuals in Love and Keggers I mean sorry I have a lot of worries about that game
I feel like he displayed more humanity than some of the humans in the novel.
I have never thought of it in those terms 8D HMM AWESOME

Thank you for your love and essay and critique and your fresh point of view! Never too late to come to the party! This one goes all the time, baby! Anyway thanks so much.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

#253 Post by Egressus »

I know you did a good job the second the main menu captured my attention. And the summary is just ;n;
Downloading.
Hiatus of hiatuses

Astrid

#254 Post by Astrid »

Hey there!

I just signed up to say, I played this game a while ago, and was wondering if there was going to be a sequel? I heard from a friend there might be!

Thanks!

carosene
Veteran

#255 Post by carosene »

@Egressus: Thanks for the download, I hope you like it! :D Tell us what you think!

@Astrid: Thanks for playing! Yes, for a while behind the scenes I was fiddling around with a lot of sequel ideas, but I couldn't come up with anything that I liked as much as TCAST. D: So right now there are no sequel plans.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA