Ori, Ochi, Onoe.

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Foton

#226 Post by Foton »

After all these years, maybe we haven't really known each other.

That or the human mind just works in a similar way.
"Let us to't pell-mell; if not to heaven, then hand-in-hand to hell"

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#227 Post by musical74 »

OK mikey, here goes nothing part 2!

Pros: pretty much everything LOL Graphics are well done, the music is perfect, the dialogue is great...REALLY got a kick out of the way the relationships are presented - the idea that everyone is connected with everyone else in some manner is great. I think I like Onoe the best of the three but that's because she seems to be the most *stable* of the three. Ori is fine, just can't really relate to her, and Ochi...scares me a little with her temper...

One thing that REALLY was great was the realism. Couples fight all the time and then make up, was really was neat seeing that in the game.

Cons: Very minor one...When Onoe shows you the card and then throws it away in disgust...I didn't understand the reference, or why she was so insulted by it. Also, it seems that ending 7 seems to be the easiest to get :? Is that the only *bad* ending? 9 kind of seemed like a bad ending...?

Haven't tried to go for the easter eggs yet...will do so soon. I've gotten endings 2,6,7, and 9 so far...the way to get ending 9 shocked me a bit, was thinking that it would take more time. Ending 2 was great, really understanding Ochi better, and Ending 6 was a LAUGH, was great! =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#228 Post by mikey »

I'm really glad you were able to play it at last! :P :P Though you should play until 4/9, the true ending, so to say.

I'm glad you like Onoe, she's my favorite as well, hard to say why, but I enjoyed writing her lines and such - maybe it's because she's not the prominent heroine, and maybe it's because BCS has drawn her so nicely.
musical74 wrote:When Onoe shows you the card and then throws it away in disgust...I didn't understand the reference, or why she was so insulted by it.
Onoe is often being hit on by the guys in the office, the narration mentions it a few times, she doesn't even want to go to the party, knowing she'll be the object of interest. They want to get a date with her, without really knowing her first, and she works with Yoshiyuki, he is the one she talks to the most and he knows by far the most about her. She took the card just to show Yoshiyuki how she doesn't care for the others - because she still liked only him, despite knowing he was with someone else, ane to somehow even ask him for help, to save her from such people.
The bad ending is indeed 7/9 if I remember correctly, Redux Dreams it's called.

Did you spot the reference to GSK? I hoped you would, it's in a name (not the name of a person) :wink:

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#229 Post by musical74 »

Spotted a couple of references to GSK, although one was probably unintentional :)

Still seem to get ending 7 more than any other...ending 4 is eluding me entirely. I'm not sure what steps I need to take to get the elusive ending 4 - and 1, and 3, and 5 and 8.

Think I realized why I like Onoe more than the others - she is, at the basis, a very nice person who cares about others. Even after finding out the player is interested in Ori, Onoe continues to be helpful and considerate. That's very rare in a person, and that's why it's so easy to like her. Although I would have been interested to see what would have happened if I agreed to spending sunday at the office with Onoe alone :)

Views about the three girls: Ochi seems to be a bit conniving, kind of *you are going to do what I say or I'll throw a fit* mentality. Yes, she's pretty, but her attitude overall makes me want to say *what do you see in this woman???* By that, I mean, it seems to be more or less a physical-only relationship between Ochi and the main character. Ori...not really sure on. The player <I can't spell his name right!> seems to have a deeper commitment with Ori, but not really sure what her motives are. Onoe I like the best, reasons noted above.

Gotta love those easter eggs!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#230 Post by mikey »

musical74 wrote:Still seem to get ending 7 more than any other...ending 4 is eluding me entirely. I'm not sure what steps I need to take to get the elusive ending 4 - and 1, and 3, and 5 and 8.

Ochi seems to be a bit conniving, kind of *you are going to do what I say or I'll throw a fit* mentality. Yes, she's pretty, but her attitude overall makes me want to say *what do you see in this woman???* By that, I mean, it seems to be more or less a physical-only relationship between Ochi and the main character. Ori...not really sure on. The player <I can't spell his name right!> seems to have a deeper commitment with Ori, but not really sure what her motives are. Onoe I like the best, reasons noted above.
Just start (load your save) from the beginning of "part 2" (actually, you can start with the 4 choices in part2, regardless of how you did before), no need to replay the whole game. You are absolutely right about how the relationships with the individual girls work, so all that's needed is to bring the Ochi way through to the end, not be afraid of it. It should work. Good luck.

It's Yoshiyuki. The 4/9 ending will probably help with memorizing that one as well,... There is something... 8)
musical74 wrote:Spotted a couple of references to GSK, although one was probably unintentional
Tell meeeee!

Seraphim Rush

I win

#231 Post by Seraphim Rush »

HAHAHA It took sooooo long , but I got alla the easter eggs and the endings, and everything... I must say I loved the game, even though it kind of made me sick, and i found it a little out of my style...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#232 Post by mikey »

I'm glad you finished it. It's not my style to play for all the endings as a player myself, so I'm twice as happy when people finish all the paths. :P

Cazel
Regular

#233 Post by Cazel »

Well, I finally sat down and played this game. Not sure why it took me so long, but I am glad I did. So far I have seen endings 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9, and having finished 4 can say that I really do enjoy this game a lot. The graphics are very good and I enjoyed all of the character designs. The story, while losing me somewhat during my first playthrough, was good, and I really enjoyed the true ending.

The biggest drawback for me, besides the somewhat confusing order of events when you aren't aware of the whole story, was that I literally had given up trying to figure out the path out of part I and was reduced to trying every possible combination until I found one that worked. Even upon hitting the right ones, I still can't figure out why. But I suppose I will just chalk it up to the difference I know exists between the way mikey and I view the world. That's not a bad thing, but it does sometimes make it harder for me to play ATP games. Still, all in all, Ori, Ochi, Onoe is a great game.

Cazel
Regular

#234 Post by Cazel »

Hmmm... maybe I should have played a bit more before posting. Having now messed around with part II some more, I think I understand why it was difficult to reach, even if I still don't understand all the choices. I still haven't gotten ending 8, but I've now seen 1 and 3. Ending 1 is actually probably my favorite.

On a different note, I wish Ori had gotten more screentime. I felt like that part of the story was rather rushed. Not really a complaint since the story still worked, but I just felt like I never got as much of a sense of Ori as I did of Ochi or Onoe.
Well at least as Ori. I suppose it is possible to extract bits of Ori out of Ochi.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#235 Post by mikey »

Cazel wrote:Well, I finally sat down and played this game. Not sure why it took me so long, but I am glad I did.
I'm already half a year late in playing *gulp* Pick Me Honey, I really want to play it, but there is just never a good time... some games are just cursed.
Cazel wrote:The biggest drawback for me, besides the somewhat confusing order of events when you aren't aware of the whole story, was that I literally had given up trying to figure out the path out of part I and was reduced to trying every possible combination until I found one that worked. Even upon hitting the right ones, I still can't figure out why.
I won't really fight against this, as part I isn't necessarily logical. I suppose I always want some randomness, even though there is an obscure explanation for all the seemingly random choices (such as the food or walk path). I would definitely think twice before including such a section in a game I'd expect people to pay for - I hope it doesn't look like I enjoyed plaguing myself with the imfamous mop/sweep the floor option in Tokimeki CheckIn. But I wanted O3 to be more of a instinctive play than something one would think about.

It often happens to me, that when faced with a choice, I catch myself thinking about what the people who made the game were thinking - and which choice would be most beneficial for my intended path. But I actually enjoy just playing and deciding like I would - and so I wanted to quickly point out to the player with those "unlogical" choices, that it's useless to think, and that one should just play without having the paths in mind. Admittedly, this is very bad when you're trying to reach a specific ending, but that's the price I suppose.
Cazel wrote:On a different note, I wish Ori had gotten more screentime.
It's true, she, and Onoe as well don't really have as much attention, but of course, I also wanted them to support Ochi's role in the story, not really take over it. In the end, this is somehow always a story about Ochi. I haven't really commited myself to making a game where the girls will be treated equally. I don't know why this is, it just always plays out like this. :( Well, maybe TT had two equally important girls.

Anyway, I'm glad you played it and liked it overall (because this was really the aim) and thanks for the comments. :P

south desert islander
Regular

#236 Post by south desert islander »

It's been a bit since I played the game,but I will insert my two cents. The game is possibly the most well rounded game when it comes to this little field of Fan Ren'ai games. The music is good, I found no issues with the music or the sound quality in the game. In fact I actually loved the music for the game, it really flowed with the rest of the game. The characters are have a lot of emotion in them. Oddly enough I do not like the protagonists, In many of the parts of the game he would rather just run away from his problems. Other times he just go and face the issue. I am not putting my personal hate for the main character in the quality of game. Quite the opposite I think his character made him click better with the females of the game and thus making it a unique experience.

I agree that Ori was my favorite character, I too wished she had more screen time. But the plot twist made up for that, I am impressed you pulled something like that, after that twist I looked back and saw that it still flowed with the story perfectly, it was quite unique. With this game, I spent a lot more time finding the ending I like, I am not sure which one I did get, I will go back and do the whole thing again to find out. Also I plan to get this game out the way by doing a complete mapping of the game's paths. To me I see it as a challenged more than a task since this game is quite large for Ren'ai games.

To and overall view, this game could make a good impact in this field if enough people see it. It is a good example on how the game engine and the genre itself can go.

9/10

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#237 Post by mikey »

Thank you, glad you liked it. As for the mapping of tha paths, that's actually done via a secret "ending", that gives you a schematic walkthrough. The way to get it is somewhere above in one of the spoiler tags.

One word to the protagonist(s), it's normal IMO that people do not completely identify with them, but then again it wasn't the intention, making a neutral protagonist - they are IMO much better suited for multigirl dating sims than VNs, most probably because if you want to show a problematic situation, it can't really be done without giving the characters a certain non-neutral personality feature. To be honest I would also not do a lot of things like Yoshiyuki. My goal was to make people perhaps understand, or at least accept the way he is seeing things (especially his relationship with Ochi).

ChaoticAtomBomb

#238 Post by ChaoticAtomBomb »

[lateasallhell] Its been awhile since ive been back here..like over six months..and i come back to find more great games by you. Cool. Its interesting to see how your work quality has progressed since black pencil. nice job [/lateasallhell]

Edit: this Renisis does not happen to be a rotary fan does he/she?

miriam
Regular

#239 Post by miriam »

Wow! ......

I am new here, having stumbled across RenPy and ren'ai several days ago while researching pygame for some 3D stuff I'm programming. I have only run about 8 of the stories from the renai.us archives so far. Imagine how lucky I feel to be presented with the wonderful gem of Ori, Ochi, Onoe after all the pleasure I've been having so far!!!

How is it I have lived all these years without knowing about this wonderful stuff???

I am so glad I've found it... and I am so grateful for the amazing group of talents of Mikey and team for Ori, Ochi, Onoe.

I am one very, very happy person. :)
My current, and first, RenPy story: A Loving Soul
script: 100% -- scenes: 100% -- character art: 20% -- programming: 20%
(spoilers in the story of the same name on my website)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#240 Post by DaFool »

miriam wrote:I am new here, having stumbled across RenPy and ren'ai several days ago while researching pygame for some 3D stuff I'm programming.
This pygame?
http://www.pygame.org

(I'm curious as to which channels new people come in by, that's why)

Mikey's on vacation right now, but by golly those comments are so going to get savored...