really silly mistakes (go me)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Matt_D
Regular

really silly mistakes (go me)

#1 Post by Matt_D »

Do we have anywhere to put our really silly mistakes (you know the equivelent of spending 2 hours trying to figure out why your pl/sql script isn't working becouse you used a : instead of a ; or something like that may of been an l instead of an I )

I only ask becouse I was trying to get an image to work with the new kana mode and it just wouldn't fly, two hours of muttering, cursing, and searching (sadly invalid syntax shall forever be the evilest of compiler errors) until I realise what I'd been doing

I'd been doing this

"init:
python:
image bg 001 = "001.jpg"
"
as I'd copied and pasted the contents of the kana rpy it seemed rational, I looked at all the other examples thinking "grrr what silly thing am I doing" becouse I knew full well that this would be much like the "forgeting to leave a blank line at the end of the file" problem.

It then dawned on me that the python clause was another indent deep... and then I realised that I should have been putting

"init:
image bg 001 = "001.jpg"
python:
"
tadaa, lol, I think this would be a classic example of a starters error? Go me!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

Good one. I didn't really spot the problem until you showed it ^^;

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

Re: really silly mistakes (go me)

#3 Post by Watercolorheart »

Matt_D wrote:"forgetting to leave a blank line at the end of the file"
I've run into that one more times than I care to count. Fortunately, that's usually the first thing I look for now ... I remember one of my first betas, spending 40+ minutes trying to figure out why it didn't work. :(

I sometimes wrote my story directly into Ren'Py and in the course of deleting and whatnot, I would erase that space ... now I write it in a different program and paste it over.
I'm not even the same person anymore

Taters
Regular

#4 Post by Taters »