Legend of the Piper Girl v1.2- mystery,"music" hidden object

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

Legend of the Piper Girl v1.2- mystery,"music" hidden object

#1 Post by VenusEclipse »

Story:
Gray stumbles upon the piper girl legend while staying at his grandpa's place. Play as Gray and search for music to discover the truth.

Genre:Supernatural, Hidden Object, (Mystery(?))

Rating:
13+

Features:
-Original Art
-Original Sound Track
-"Hidden Object" System
-Around 1 hour of play

Screenshots:
ImageImageImage

Download: (Approx 87 mb)
For Windows, Mac and Linux

OST Download:
Here

Short Walkthrough: Here

Updates:April 23rd:
Version 1.2 uploaded. This fixes the guestroom crash and one missing image. If you don't wish to redownload, you can easily avoid the crash by not playing anything in the guestroom, and ignore the missing image.

Updates:April 23rd:
Bug fixed: The new version has no forest crash. If you don't want to download again, you can easily avoid the bug by not searching or playing in the forest on the day you first get the sheet music.

April 22nd: If you have pipergirlwin-32.zip, then you downloaded the beta by accident. The download should be updated now.

Credits:
Story, Script, and Art: VenusEclipse
Music: Alexander Hill Smith, Julian Wynn Smith, VenusEclipse
Vocals: ShinigamiDanna
Sound Effects: freesfx.co.uk
Testers: Delarem, i82fast
Special Thanks: Delarem, i82fast, nyaatrap
Engine: PyTom

Extra comments: This is my NaNoReNo project, done in one month and a half instead of in March. Release was also delayed due to bugs everywhere so I can't really tag it as that anymore. ^^;
Last edited by VenusEclipse on Sun May 13, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 27 times in total.

EternalDandelions

Re: Legend of the Piper Girl

#2 Post by EternalDandelions »

where is the download link ;^;

VenusEclipse
Veteran

#3 Post by VenusEclipse »

Sorry I just updated it. I linked to the beta by accident earlier so I panicked. ^_^

EternalDandelions

#4 Post by EternalDandelions »

VenusEclipse wrote:Sorry I just updated it. I linked to the beta by accident earlier so I panicked. ^_^
omg yay *downloads* *_*
(btw your art looks like it improved compared to your previous vn *A*, its beautiful)

VenusEclipse
Veteran

#5 Post by VenusEclipse »

Thank you Eternal, I'm glad you like the art.
I hope you enjoy the VN too.

VenusEclipse
Veteran

Re: Legend of the Piper Girl [Supernatural, hidden object]

#6 Post by VenusEclipse »

Bug fixed: The new version has no forest crash. If you don't want to download again, you can easily avoid the bug by not searching or playing in the forest on the day you first get the sheet music.

Sorry for not finding it earlier. ^^;

Ashurei

#7 Post by Ashurei »

Hi there, VenusEclipse! I'm enjoying Legend of the Piper Girl right now, but I came across this. Just thought you'd like to know. Also, at some stage, while I was across the bridge playing the green sheet music to be transported to the waterfall, it didn't work; instead it was the yellow one which brought me there. I can't remember at what stage this happened though, sorry, but it was fairly early in the game.

That aside, asdfghjkl; I'm so happy to see you release another game. I absolutely loved Frozen Essence and asdfghjkl; yeah. /fangirls

greenheartnellie
Regular

#8 Post by greenheartnellie »

Yay I love it! I love the art and all ♥ But I am not yet done. You see
after I got the harp, I was back in town and I was trying to play the white music sheet everywhere but nothing happens. I even tried the blue, green, and orange ones but I don't think they'd work there..hehe! I'm thinking I should go somewhere else but the Back button disappeared
:( Is that because my DirectX is somehow in-updated or something? Or did I really miss something there? Hehe!

I'm going to try and play again later and see if the Back button would reappear.
Can sorta write but CAN'T art so I am just here for the otomes! Ahihihi <3

VenusEclipse
Veteran

#9 Post by VenusEclipse »

To nellie:
Thanks for enjoying it so far. The back button may take a lot of digging to find so if you see it again, please tell me!
Also err...
the day didn't end after the harp? O_O
. If this is so I'm going to remove the download link and remove this from completed games, and maybe move it to demos. Something must have happened as I was doing last minute fixing if your day didn't end.

To Ashurei:
Hmm, I think I deleted the wrong image when I was deleting extra images. O_O Otherwise...I'll replace that in a new upload.
And the yellow one? Do you remember what event just happened just so I know what day it is?Same for the back buttons. I just remembered you don't remember what day it is, but I can find the music one with some digging around. ^_^

I've been slaving the past two/three weeks making sure they all worked, and I guess I still missed those one.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the things you guys found. I thought everything was A-OK from here on. I'm just glad nothing mess up the order of events, which were the worst bugs ever. The game would suddenly go back from day four to day one, or it'll go to the wrong map....

I'll update these tomorrow after I get some sleep. I'm still such a noob with this "system" and programming. :mrgreen:

EDIT:~Oops, I replied to the wrong person with each subject. I fixed my reply. XD

Onionchan

#10 Post by Onionchan »

I was looking forward to this release, and from what I've played so far - it's quite interesting! Your art has improved so much (colouring/character designs), so I definitely commend that. I have run into an issue with the game however, since after obtaining the harp, talking to the Siren and Risa, the game just crashes whenever I play something.

Is the day suppose to end? :S I'm not entirely sure.

This popped up on my screen:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/ch3.rpy", line 658, in script
ScriptError: could not find label 'playclock'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "/Users/80086/Downloads/Legend of the Piper Girl-all/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 296, in bootstrap
File "/Users/80086/Downloads/Legend of the Piper Girl-all/renpy/main.py", line 357, in main
File "/Users/80086/Downloads/Legend of the Piper Girl-all/renpy/main.py", line 98, in run
File "/Users/80086/Downloads/Legend of the Piper Girl-all/renpy/execution.py", line 284, in run
File "/Users/80086/Downloads/Legend of the Piper Girl-all/renpy/script.py", line 485, in lookup
ScriptError: could not find label 'playclock'.

Darwin-10.8.0-i386-32bit
Ren'Py 6.13.11.1715
Legend of the Piper Girl 0.0
Also, I tried moving around and playing other sheet music - and nothing happens. I hope this gets resolved soon ^_^
Last edited by Onionchan on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anstarx

#11 Post by Anstarx »

I really like this game, you don't come across many hidden object games. Although I am stuck, really stuck!
When I try to play any music sheets in the guest room, this happens:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/ch3.rpy", line 658, in script
ScriptError: could not find label 'playgrandmaphoto'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.891\Legend of the Piper Girl-all\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 296, in bootstrap
File "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.891\Legend of the Piper Girl-all\renpy\main.py", line 357, in main
File "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.891\Legend of the Piper Girl-all\renpy\main.py", line 98, in run
File "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.891\Legend of the Piper Girl-all\renpy\execution.py", line 284, in run
File "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.891\Legend of the Piper Girl-all\renpy\script.py", line 485, in lookup
ScriptError: could not find label 'playgrandmaphoto'.

Windows-post2008Server-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.13.11.1715
Legend of the Piper Girl 0.0
And this happens to every object I choose. Hope you can do something about it :)

greenheartnellie
Regular

#12 Post by greenheartnellie »

VenusEclipse wrote:To nellie:
Thanks for enjoying it so far. The back button may take a lot of digging to find so if you see it again, please tell me!
Also err...
the day didn't end after the harp? O_O
. If this is so I'm going to remove the download link and remove this from completed games, and maybe move it to demos. Something must have happened as I was doing last minute fixing if your day didn't end.
It's okay now! :D Good thing I had the game saved not too far from that day when I found the first instrument, so I just repeated it from there until I got the game going again. It's my fault for having a few windows open earlier while playing the game. My computer really doesn't want too many programs running for some reasons..hehe! I now found a few more music sheets.
The most recent one I found is the burnt one from their house. Then I also used that to enter this rock and water place in the forest. I played the pink music sheet and Gray said that there's a 'slight tremor but it's not enough' so he'll play the music later. Aaaannndd..I am still stuck there now.
Haha! Soooo...I wouldn't mind if you help me out a little there..hehehe! I am currently clueless on what step is next :mrgreen:

But anyway, I got the Back button again. Thanks anyway! :D
Can sorta write but CAN'T art so I am just here for the otomes! Ahihihi <3

Ashurei

#13 Post by Ashurei »

VenusEclipse: I have the worst memory, but it was either shortly before or after finding the harp. /useless
I totally feel you on the programming pains, and you have my admiration for being able to make this sort of game.

greenheartnellie: If memory serves...
For that part you have to play another music sheet or two to shift the rocks around, which then blocks the waterfall. I can't remember which colours though, I just went through all of them until something happened. xD
I'm currently stuck at
the part where Chakeyra follows you into town.
I have no idea what to do next. xD
...besides flailing around everywhere and getting my ass whooped by backlash repeatedly, lolol.

VenusEclipse
Veteran

#14 Post by VenusEclipse »

To OnionChan: Did the day end first? Did you go back to grandpa's house and then go to sleep? When I look at the traceback, I see you're on ch 3 in the game so your second day did end. And did you play something for the crash or did the crash just happened after getting the item? The exact time helps since every event and crash depends on what just happened.^_^
I found them. They'll be fixed in the new upload. People aren't supposed to select specific items to play at in the guestroom.

To Anstarx: You can still play through the game. Just avoid playing anything in the guestroom. Nothing really happens in there except Gray sleeping and understanding his background more. Follow the walkthrough if stuck.
New: I fixed this since it's the same problem OnionChan has. It'll be in the new upload.

If you don't want to redownload, You can finish the VN even if there are errors or crashes.
Just follow the walkthrough here. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Quick Walkthrough:
After getting the first music
Day 2
-Go back to grandpa's first
-Play third piece in town, by the second shop
-Play fourth piece on the bridge

Day 3
-Unlock beach area by talking to townie
-Play pieces by rocks there to find fifth beach
-Play fifth piece by statue

Day 4
-Search grandpa's to find sixth piece
-Go to forest to play sixth piece
-There's 3 pieces in this water area to play. The tremours mean you play that piece after a different piece so choose another piece if you get tremors but nothing happened.
-Go to the waterfall, play the piece you found
-Play last piece in town, clicking Larry's shop

- The rest is just straight talking and moving.

Bad Ending:
When Risa is at the beach, move back to town without talking to her

Real Ending:
When Risa is at the beach, talk to her
Last edited by VenusEclipse on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

VenusEclipse
Veteran

#15 Post by VenusEclipse »

Version 1.2 uploaded. This fixes the guestroom crash and the one missing image.
If you don't wish to redownload, you can easily avoid the crash by not playing anything in the guestroom, and ignore the missing image.

The wrong music used in the forest is now fixed too. Thanks everyone for reporting!