Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
dracothrope
Regular

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#3841 Post by dracothrope »

Still pretty new to sprite drawing, still figuring out what to do! I've got a question, too: what resolution do you draw your sprites at? I imagine that drawing them to fit within an 800x600 frame means that they'll get fairly pixelated pretty quickly if you make the game fullscreen?

Anyhow, fiddling with a non-human character for now:

ImageImage

Lux Nero
Regular
Projects: Teacher Pets

#3842 Post by Lux Nero »

Ore... SANJOU DESU!

Now... Count up your sins!

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#3843 Post by Hijiri »

Hijiri wrote:Round 3 of my redesigns:

Getting better at female anatomy and starting to experment with clothing a bit.
I need to stop doodling and do my econ notes.
Colored:
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#3844 Post by wingzofdarkness »

Wow, so many artworks since I last came here. Good to know artists are alive and kicking! ^^
Except, I'm procrastinating and drawing other stuff besides requests and projects...

I've been working on my "anime" drawing skills since I just learned last year or so. It seems I'm still swinging towards "semi-realism".
Attachments
A request for someone's OC on dA.
A request for someone's OC on dA.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#3845 Post by nyaatrap »

dracothrope wrote:Still pretty new to sprite drawing, still figuring out what to do! I've got a question, too: what resolution do you draw your sprites at? I imagine that drawing them to fit within an 800x600 frame means that they'll get fairly pixelated pretty quickly if you make the game fullscreen?
2000px at height is the minimum. usually, 4000px.
Be sure, never use the bilinear resizing. use bicubic, or other similar resizing method instead.

dracothrope
Regular

#3846 Post by dracothrope »

nyaatrap wrote:2000px at height is the minimum. usually, 4000px.
Woah, seriously?! Guess I'd better get re-started with the fella above! (And I had wondered how everyone managed to get their linework so thin without it looking like a butt! Hah!) I was under the impression that 1200px tall would suffice, since that's about double the size of the original screen. In that case, how large do you folks usually make your backgrounds when you're setting up you canvas? That's got to be humongous. o.O
nyaatrap wrote:Be sure, never use the bilinear resizing. use bicubic, or other similar resizing method instead.
What's the difference between bilinear vs bicubic for resizing? Is that just a code thing? I just haven't heard of those terms in the use of photoshop or what have you.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#3847 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

dracothrope wrote:
nyaatrap wrote:2000px at height is the minimum. usually, 4000px.
Woah, seriously?! Guess I'd better get re-started with the fella above! (And I had wondered how everyone managed to get their linework so thin without it looking like a butt! Hah!) I was under the impression that 1200px tall would suffice, since that's about double the size of the original screen. In that case, how large do you folks usually make your backgrounds when you're setting up you canvas? That's got to be humongous. o.O
nyaatrap wrote:Be sure, never use the bilinear resizing. use bicubic, or other similar resizing method instead.
What's the difference between bilinear vs bicubic for resizing? Is that just a code thing? I just haven't heard of those terms in the use of photoshop or what have you.
I generally draw all my sprites starting on a A4 sheet size, so 2480x3508 pixels at 300 dpi (which is pointless for screen but you never know when you might want to print something... it could happen). I usually do my backgrounds at 3x the size of the screen or bigger. With digital work it is best to start large and resize. Not only does it allow for different circumstances when you might want the work larger (with pixels you can make something smaller, but you can't make it bigger) it also helps a lot with hiding imperfections like wobbly lineart.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Fri May 11, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3848 Post by LVUER »

I usually draw mine in 2880 resolution in height... but that's just because it's the maximum resolution that both my software and my laptop capable of handling. My laptop is often crashed when I draw something that fill the entire 2880x2880. I really wish I have a stronger PC with big monitor (I have a new netbook that significantly stronger than my old notebook, but only with 12" monitor).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#3849 Post by Tetiel »

And now to complete the set (so far)... Guys of Rising Angels!

To throw in my input on the recent conversation, I have my sprites at least 4000px tall in 300DPI. It's mostly in case, for whatever reason, I'd need a gigantic version for printing a poster or something.
Attachments
menofrisingangels.png

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#3850 Post by Mink »

Mark Millar licks goats:
I'm a masochist and decided Becky/Derek/Candace all need alternate outfits, in addition to two poses.

Also, disapproving Becky is disapproving.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#3851 Post by nyaatrap »

dracothrope wrote:
Bilinear resizing only uses neighboring 4 pixels to calculate the resulted pixel. It pretty fast, and many application uses it by default. But it causes aliasing on your sprites and makes them ugly.
Bicubic uses 16 pixels. It's a bit slow but doesn't cause aliasing (unless you resize sprites under 25% size at once). Photoshop uses bicubic resizing by default.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi

#3852 Post by Hijiri »

Looks like the shota's stones finally dropped. Personally, I like this design...
Image Image

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#3853 Post by azureXtwilight »

Dumping sketchy stuff:
how_do_i_get_rid_of_this__by_azurextwilight_rllz-d4zgsjf.jpg

MusicaFate
Regular
Organization: Hime*Ko Productions

#3854 Post by MusicaFate »

*A* Sketch ~ I don't really post up my sketches here .___. i tried to make her piratey...and she turned out steam punkish.
Attachments
Pirate.jpg
Free Artist. :) PM ME ?~

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3855 Post by Hijiri »

^A steampunk is fine too.

Now here is a drawing (Not a sketch considering the time I took with this) that I am personally proud of.

Now, is it possible to get a bit of feedback on this?
NOTE: My scanner has the bad habit of scanning everything at an angle, it's stright on the paper itself
Image Image