Face to Face character format

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

Re: Face to Face character format

#16 Post by Anna »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Why is that strange? That's exactly what happens with all the other characters and NPCs in a VN. Why should the MC's sprite show important actions when no other sprite does?
Because the main character shows a lot of actions as well and not drawing or showing those means you have to use tricks to imply they're there.

In first person view you already see the other characters do this now and then, but now in third person view, you will see it happen much more. This is because the main character does a lot of actions as well. People can usually understand these things, but tolerance also has a limit, and when things like this happen too often it can become jarring quickly.

Furthermore, in first person view the main character's actions can be hand-waved more easily with a sfx or something, because you're not looking at him directly. As for third person view, you would have to draw a lot more sprites so that you don't use loopholes and tricks for actions too often.

Also, imagine all the interactions you would have to show because of this. In first person view, a hug can be simply expressed by moving the sprite opposite of you closer and giving it a matching expression. In third person view, moving sprites closer to each other to represent a hug just feels more off.

My solution would be to overlap the characters, like so:
As if they are standing beside each other. No one is talking to any one else's back that way, and the two groups talking aren't crowded into each other's space.
There's another problem; even if you do this, as AxemRed already mentioned, it still means the sprites will be divided into two groups, which might cause some problems (like during an argument between three parties).

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#17 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Anna wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Why is that strange? That's exactly what happens with all the other characters and NPCs in a VN. Why should the MC's sprite show important actions when no other sprite does?
Because the main character shows a lot of actions as well and not drawing or showing those means you have to use tricks to imply they're there.

In first person view you already see the other characters do this now and then, but now in third person view, you will see it happen much more. This is because the main character does a lot of actions as well. People can usually understand these things, but tolerance also has a limit, and when things like this happen too often it can become jarring quickly.

Furthermore, in first person view the main character's actions can be hand-waved more easily with a sfx or something, because you're not looking at him directly. As for third person view, you would have to draw a lot more sprites so that you don't use loopholes and tricks for actions too often.

Also, imagine all the interactions you would have to show because of this. In first person view, a hug can be simply expressed by moving the sprite opposite of you closer and giving it a matching expression. In third person view, moving sprites closer to each other to represent a hug just feels more off.

My solution would be to overlap the characters, like so:
As if they are standing beside each other. No one is talking to any one else's back that way, and the two groups talking aren't crowded into each other's space.
There's another problem; even if you do this, as AxemRed already mentioned, it still means the sprites will be divided into two groups, which might cause some problems (like during an argument between three parties).
I actually don't think one way is better than another. The both have pros and cons. To me both first and third person perspective has major issues with showing action, but that is the deal with using static 2D sprites. We are not using animated anything. Unless you are willing to draw the sprites sitting, eating, sleeping, even breathing, there are actions that are going to have to be implied (rather crudely really). And that's not counting the other times in the story when a character might bend over, use chopsticks instead of a fork, gently nudge one friend, hold someone's hand, all the other movements. But this doesn't really matter because in this medium we have to trust the player to 'get it' and they will. They understand the limitations of the gameplay and if they don't, this isn't the type of game for them. We can only do the best with what we have.

While third person may have issues with dividing into groups and talking to backs, first person has issues with people talking to each other. If everyone is facing forward, it can be a little harder to have to people on screen talk to each other convincingly. You usually have to have both forward and side facing sprites, or be cheap like me and have them angled and just have their eyes move. I have never had a player mention that it's a problem for them to understand what is going on. Sure it would be nice to show absolutely everything, but as soon as you start adding details, the more the lack of other details will stand out. It's a fine balance between showing what needs to be shown and allowing the player to use their imgination to fill in the gaps. In my opinon of course :)

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#18 Post by zankizuna »

I'm glad lots of people posted here, I'm doing my game this way, face to face, I hope I don't get much work..
in any event I'm a noob, I really don't know so I'll ask:
Is there a code in ren'py for automatically flipping a picture horizontally?
I'll have to use many pictures if there isn't.

Yakkety
Regular
Projects: Undead Chronicles

#19 Post by Yakkety »

Ever played Corpse Party for the PSP?

That game did it really well, mostly because you don't play as 1 character, but as multiple characters...

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#20 Post by zankizuna »

Oh yeah, That was wonderful, Corpse party, I mean.
I enjoy games like those, I only played it once but it caught my eye.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by SusanTheCat »

@zankizuna;
Flip can do that:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... ns/im.Flip

I don't know how to do it in ATL.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#22 Post by PyTom »

In ATL, you should be able to do it with xzoom -1
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom