Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#3901 Post by Sapphi »

janrrah18 wrote: and if there are any tips i can get better.... :mrgreen:
I can point out a couple. :)

1. His hood looks like a bonnet because you haven't given his hair any shadow at the point of contact. You also might want to observe the physics of real hoods. (Put on a hoodie! lol) They don't widen at the sides; they usually either go down straight against the head if they are small and being stretched, or sag near the shoulders if they are larger.

2. When making flames, instead of drawing them on a white background first, you lay down the base color (black) and then paint over it so you eliminate that nasty blurry white edge effect. :)

3. To get correct anatomy, even if you are drawing a close-up, sometimes it's best to draw more of the picture and then crop. Right now, his shoulders seem a little wide, and his neck is rather short and thin comparatively. With the collarbone lines you drew, his shoulders should be a lot smaller than they currently are. (Of course, his head would be enormous then.)

4. You should give him some white in his eye. :P
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

janrrah18
Regular
Projects: My Sweet Revenge,(I can't think of a good title...><)
Organization: Valonia

#3902 Post by janrrah18 »

Sapphi wrote:I can point out a couple.
1. His hood looks like a bonnet because you haven't given his hair any shadow at the point of contact. You also might want to observe the physics of real hoods. (Put on a hoodie! lol) They don't widen at the sides; they usually either go down straight against the head if they are small and being stretched, or sag near the shoulders if they are larger.
hehe...it looked wide because while i was drawing him..i'm thinking about TEKKEN 6 and JIN. wanting to play it after i finished him...wahaha...(Puts on a hoodie and observes infront of the mirror..) :mrgreen:
2. When making flames, instead of drawing them on a white background first, you lay down the base color (black) and then paint over it so you eliminate that nasty blurry white edge effect. :)
ouwwhh..OK .. heheh...I'm GLAD YOU ACTUALLY NOTICED IT WAS like A FIRE.. :mrgreen:
when i saw it..i personally think it looked like a Mayonnaise not a fire...hehe
3. To get correct anatomy, even if you are drawing a close-up, sometimes it's best to draw more of the picture and then crop. Right now, his shoulders seem a little wide, and his neck is rather short and thin comparatively. With the collarbone lines you drew, his shoulders should be a lot smaller than they currently are. (Of course, his head would be enormous then.)

4. You should give him some white in his eye. :P
**NOTED** :mrgreen:
Sapphi !Thanks for all the ADVICE...!

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3903 Post by Sapphi »

janrrah18 wrote: Sapphi !Thanks for all the ADVICE...!
You're very welcome ^_^

Since I kept moaning about how college was eating my life I figured I could post a picture of probably the best drawing I did in figure drawing class. It's charcoal and pastel - not without its flaws, but it won an award where the college bought it and it will hang on their wall FOREVER ;_; I was so honored, and happy because I'm really going to miss it there and it's extremely comforting knowing a part of me will stay as evidence of my youth. Jeez, I can't even write about it without getting nostalgic and sad and it's only been like a week since I was out. I'm such a sap. Anyhow...
Fireflysmall.jpg
— William Faulkner

janrrah18
Regular

#3904 Post by janrrah18 »

Sapphi wrote: Since I kept moaning about how college was eating my life I figured I could post a picture of probably the best drawing I did in figure drawing class. It's charcoal and pastel - not without its flaws, but it won an award where the college bought it and it will hang on their wall FOREVER ;_; I was so honored, and happy because I'm really going to miss it there and it's extremely comforting knowing a part of me will stay as evidence of my youth. Jeez, I can't even write about it without getting nostalgic and sad and it's only been like a week since I was out. I'm such a sap. Anyhow...
Fireflysmall.jpg
WOW..It's very REALISTIC.....!!!!WOW.. :mrgreen:
I wonder what it feels to be a college student????hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... :?:
I guess i'll have to figure out myself..(I'll get there..After 8 years though...) :roll:

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3905 Post by Sapphi »

janrrah18 wrote: WOW..It's very REALISTIC.....!!!!WOW.. :mrgreen:
I guess i'll have to figure out myself..(I'll get there..After 8 years though...) :roll:

It feels great. Take it from a straight-A student who despised school. In college, effort is rewarded, time is not wasted, and teachers actually treat you like a fellow human being. :wink:

By the way, did I read correctly that you are in the 5th grade? If so, I think it's fantastic that you are here and asking for critique on your work. When I was your age I didn't have anyone to give me pointers. :P
— William Faulkner

janrrah18
Regular

#3906 Post by janrrah18 »

Sapphi wrote:
janrrah18 wrote: WOW..It's very REALISTIC.....!!!!WOW.. :mrgreen:

It feels great. Take it from a straight-A student who despised school. In college, effort is rewarded, time is not wasted, and teachers actually treat you like a fellow human being. :wink:

By the way, did I read correctly that you are in the 5th grade? If so, I think it's fantastic that you are here and asking for critique on your work. When I was your age I didn't have anyone to give me pointers. :P
hehehe...
YUUPP..!!! :mrgreen: I'm in 5th Grade....Drawing is my passion.. :mrgreen: and coding (a little) ..and writing..(i guess..).. :mrgreen:
It's pretty hard..Especially in our family...NO ONE can give me pointers becoz i'm the only one who likes to DRAw(Seriously i'm the only one..)...(GUESS i'm ADOPTED..hehe) :mrgreen:

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#3907 Post by Hijiri »

Redid a redo of a sketch and colored it since this was as close to anatomicly correct as I could make it.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

dracothrope
Regular

#3908 Post by dracothrope »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Polysyllabic words are awesome. Surreptitiously scribbling in sight of a schoolteacher of science is scarcely studying, hence the sequestering from sight of your stylus. (Alliteration is also awesome.) Image
Ah lahk th'way you think. X3
Sapphi wrote:Awesome life drawing!
That looks great! Really awesome that they snagged it off of you, too. <:3 Keep in touch with other college folks with drink & draws and get togethers, is all I'm saying -- it really becomes nice to hang out with people you went through that experience with!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#3909 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Sapphi, That looks beautiful! I love the way you have used the duotones (and the paper colour?) to such an impressive effect.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#3910 Post by Omnificent »

Looking better, Hijiri, though that forearm is still kind of Megaman-bulky compared to the rest of his body. Still wanna see more cel-shaded with that style.

No matter how much I improve in other areas, I can never wrap my head around hands
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#3911 Post by Nuxill »

Well, hands and feet are usually considered the hardest part of the body to draw. :P Are you looking at reference? If not you should take a photo of your hands in the position you want with a phone or laptop camera or look in the mirror while you're drawing. I've done that on more than one occasion for projects.

The only other thing that looks a little off is the size of the arms. Elbows usually rest right above or at the belly button point and when the arm is down the hand should be about one hand-length away from the top of the knee. You might also want to rotate the character clockwise a bit if/when you go to color since they look like they're leaning backwards right now.

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#3912 Post by tuna_sushi »

Trying a new style, but failed at the hair. orz
*click to see real size*

Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

#3913 Post by Kingv »

Ryouko wrote:Kingv
My gosh, she's so adorable! *__*
I like how clean your style is. x3
(And she sure looks expressive.)
Thank you! I always worry that my sprites look messy I'm glad you think my style is clean.

When I'm emotionally stressed I tend to draw to relieve the pressure. So this was done in a furry of anger/sadness. Had to crop is because the file is so big but you can see the full version on my DA account.
Attachments
sadFairy1.jpg

dracothrope
Regular

#3914 Post by dracothrope »

I love the reflection you have going on in that image! I would really like to see how it turned out if you added more dramatic light and shadow to the figure, though -- without the local light I think you might be missing out on giving the full punch of a really evocative image. More dark shadows and more cyan light coming from the wings to reflect on the hair, back of the ears (and to come through the ears a little where they're thinnest), stuff like that? The glass shards look great, though. :D

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#3915 Post by teacup »

Sketch for some fanart I'm doing for Rune Factory 4~ (*´▽`*)
I'm so excited to color this but the prospect of doing the lineart is totally destroying my motivation. I hate doing lineart seriously..