Community Contributions for Small Game, Towards RenPy 6.0

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Community Contributions for Small Game, Towards RenPy 6.0

#1 Post by DaFool »

Rather than followup previous posts, here's a new topic for the new small simple game that's supposed to supplement the Ren'Py tutorial. The materials posted here will go towards some new package that will eventually make its way to 6.0.0, which will be the big release, whenever that will be.

These materials can also be used to freshen any future Ren'Py tutorials in the meantime.

PyTom is looking for new (fresh custom) music, new BGs, and new themes (among other things?)

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------

This particular package contains the nonlayered version of the indoor lecture hall, as well as a new outside bg, as promised, autumn in an ivy league campus. I hope its to PyTom's liking.

I plan to supplement it with BGs of the following (in the same setting)
- outdoor hallway with columns and marble floor
- central quadrangle with the obligatory clock tower

and maybe, if I feel like it
- park bridge overlooking a waterfall

Maybe you can take a guess what campus this is?

The initial number of BGs needed was 2, but perhaps 6 might be needed to tell a story. I don't think floating Ren'Py code in midair is an issue anymore since the newest tutorial takes care of that. Let me know when is enough, since making pictures to match the Eileen sprite is very expensive for me to make (the last one took 13 hours).
Attachments
smallgamebgpak1.zip
(406.48 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

How about this one. Went easier on the textures, and the computer was kinder.
Attachments
ivy1v2.zip
(551.47 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

Matt_D
Regular

#3 Post by Matt_D »

Single character 1 pose 2 sets of clothes 10 expressions and a set of clothes + ribbon total of 30 pics. I just put her together as a stock model for demoing ideas.

Also was a bit of practice in layers. *shrugs* I'm a writer not an artist :cP lol.

edit - ooo man that's irritating it looks like the poxy alpha didn't save ¬.¬

edit - no I lie the alpha looks like it has saved woohoo
Attachments
girl2.rar
RAR file containing all images to date
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 109 times
Example
Example

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Hey cool, maybe we'll get more paperdolls.

------------------------

2 more bgs in campus setting, the area right outside the lecture hall, and an overlooking view.

Since I reused some assets, I was able to cheat a little so they didn't take too much time. Hopefully they're not too crappy.

Question: Will a pannable BG be needed? If so, will it be side-side or up-down pan? If up-down then a clock tower would suit perfectly.
Attachments
smallgamebgpak2.zip
(336.14 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

derik
Regular

#5 Post by derik »

Matt_D wrote:Single character 1 pose 2 sets of clothes 10 expressions and a set of clothes + ribbon total of 30 pics. I just put her together as a stock model for demoing ideas.
Is something like this appropriate? (I have no idea what look you''re 'going' for.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

That's a reeeally short skirt ^_^
I like it though, the artwork. Nice style :P

derik
Regular

#7 Post by derik »

mikey wrote:That's a reeeally short skirt ^_^
All the better to- er... nevermind.
mikey wrote:I like it though
Pervert. ;-)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#8 Post by mikey »

derik wrote:
mikey wrote:I like it though
Pervert. ;-)
Well, I kind of meant I like the artwork as a whole :wink: . The shading is quite unique, reminds me a bit of Mutoanime's style.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

Alright I'm officially de-volunteering myself from the task of making BGs. Anyone who wants to try feel free to make BGs which match the Eileen sprite.

All the BGs here are now free for the taking, feel free to use them or fix them if you like.

derik
Regular

#10 Post by derik »

derik wrote:
Matt_D wrote:Single character 1 pose 2 sets of clothes 10 expressions and a set of clothes + ribbon total of 30 pics. I just put her together as a stock model for demoing ideas.
Is something like this appropriate? (I have no idea what look you''re 'going' for.)

*cadge's some webspace off a friends' server*

http://www.funaroverse.db-destiny.net/grrl3.rar

Photoshop format (so she can be scaled and cropped as you please,) all 30 states.

Let me know if that's no good and you need png's or something.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by EwanG »

A most excellent character. I'll have to DL and see what all the Photoshop options support. Is this available just for this demo, or for the community at large to use?

Thanks again,
Ewan

derik
Regular

#12 Post by derik »

EwanG wrote:A most excellent character. I'll have to DL and see what all the Photoshop options support. Is this available just for this demo, or for the community at large to use?
Er... yes? (I hadn't given a lot of thought to it, this was mostly my way to avoid creating a Powerpoint presentation I didn't want to do.)

Is there some reason a character for the demo wouldn't be available for the community at large? (She's based directly on the mockups...)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by DaFool »

The original purpose was to provide materials specific to Ren'Py-sponsored minigames, rather than general community materials.

But the way things are going, this has become another resource thread :D

derik
Regular

#14 Post by derik »

DaFool wrote:The original purpose was to provide materials specific to Ren'Py-sponsored minigames, rather than general community materials.

...renpy is sponsoring mini-games?

*looks adorably clueless*

Whatev!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by DaFool »

derik wrote:
DaFool wrote:The original purpose was to provide materials specific to Ren'Py-sponsored minigames, rather than general community materials.

...renpy is sponsoring mini-games?

*looks adorably clueless*

Whatev!
*cough*

Let me rephrase...games which will be featured alongside the core Ren'Py download, as added tutorials without actually being tutorials (Sort of like the Blade Engine minigame demos)