The Amazing Renpytom

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

The Amazing Renpytom

#1 Post by Dollywitch »

He's the head honcho here, or became so in the last few months. He builds your renpy. A lot of people find him to be a bit of a dick.

Also, he's a hypocrite.
All negative comments about another user's behavior must be backed by a link to publicly accessible information that allows me and any other user to see that behavior.
From this thread:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 49#p199049

Yet this thread:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=15204

Was not moderated. We discussed this, and the comment blaming past members could be seen as just as inflammatory. However, Renpytom has decided he does not have to be consistent in his moderation at all. Also, if you're having a civil conversation with him about it, as soon as you point out he contradicts himself, he'll explode as in my sig.

He triggers people and he doesn't give a shit. Even when he's clearly in the wrong he won't apologise. He's been like this before and has chased people off the forums because of it. A lot of people advised me to avoid this forum and perhaps I should have listened.

I know some people will dislike me for digging up this drama. But I know some people are fed up of renpytom.

Again, if he actually apologises I'll pull these posts. But I don't see that happening. This isn't a threat as I have no power. I'm just trying to make a point that if you want to keep the piece on your forums you can't be an inconsistent jerk.

Amarrez
Regular
Projects: Memento Vivere

Re: The Amazing Renpytom

#2 Post by Amarrez »

Dolly, I just had an idea you may like.

Make a blog, then no one will have to see any of this! Not to mention that mean ol' Tomcat won't bother you.

Dollywitch
Veteran

#3 Post by Dollywitch »

Amarrez wrote:Dolly, I just had an idea you may like.

Make a blog, then no one will have to see any of this! Not to mention that mean ol' Tomcat won't bother you.
Yeah, so renpytom can be a raving hypocrite without anyone calling him on it.

People like you are enablers and need to fuck off as well.

Dollywitch
Veteran

#4 Post by Dollywitch »

Why is it that right wing libertarians talk about person responsibility when they regularly show none for their actions whatsoever?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

I've blocked Dolly for 1 day, so that the other mods can have time to deal with this.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Amarrez
Regular
Projects: Memento Vivere

#6 Post by Amarrez »

Dollywitch wrote:
Amarrez wrote:Dolly, I just had an idea you may like.

Yeah, so renpytom can be a raving hypocrite without anyone calling him on it.

People like you are enablers and need to fuck off as well.
Just call him out on it on your blog.

Look at some final examples: http://truthaboutrenpy.blogspot.co.nz/2 ... anist.html

kwertz

The Amazing Dollywitch

#7 Post by kwertz »

He's a mere user here, yet acts like he has the right to act like he's some all knowing godlike creature. He does absolutely nothing, except creating drama. A lot of people think he's annoying and should leave, if he can't deal with people not enjoying his company.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by CheeryMoya »

If anyone's interested, I was taking screenies (albeit, messy ones >_>) of the whole explosion that went down here in the last hour or so. I also have chatlogs of when she was on the IRC.

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

#9 Post by ScottySeng »

Well, I have no idea what went down, but I just want to point out that I agree with PyTom on this point:
All negative comments about another user's behavior must be backed by a link to publicly accessible information that allows me and any other user to see that behavior.
So you have IRC logs...hate to break it to you, but anyone can type or edit text. (Also, the timestamps are out of sync in the IRC chat log on this thread. Notice how Pytom's replies at the bottom are at 4:12 while the one at the top occured at 4:16.)

So you have screen shots...hate to break it to you, but anyone can print screen a text editor. Even then, they can photoshop it.

Now, I'm not taking sides here. I'm just pointing out that anything on the internet can be falsified.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#10 Post by Gear »

Dollywitch wrote:A lot of people find him to be a bit of a dick.
"A lot of people" being you and Wright1000, apparently.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#11 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Gear wrote:
Dollywitch wrote:A lot of people find him to be a bit of a dick.
"A lot of people" being you and Wright1000, apparently.
LordCloudX too.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#12 Post by jack_norton »

I don't know the details (and don't have time to check them honestly) but I know Tom well enough to know that he is NOT a dick, rather the opposite.
A dick wouldn't have spent a good amount of his last 5-6 years building the best tool to make visual novels (and not just that - dating sims, RPGs, etc) for FREE, doing support to it for FREE, mantaining this forum online for FREE, helping the VN community grow like never before.
If people are starting to see the explosion of the OELVN is mainly thanks to him (beside the authors of course, but a good tool is the best starting point).

So I think that, even in the case he was wrong (I doubt it) he should at least deserve a minimum of respect :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#13 Post by Taleweaver »

Amarrez wrote:Look at some final examples: http://truthaboutrenpy.blogspot.co.nz/2 ... anist.html
That's probably not the best example of someone voicing valid criticism...

Really, there _are_ a few qualms people could have with Py'Tom. I, for one, don't share many of his political views. However, I find it hard to believe that he's doing a bad moderating job on these forums, simply because he's not the only moderator. "His" moderation policy is actually that of sake-bento and LVUER as well, and if the three of them make the same judgement regarding a specific posting, then I'm VERY inclined to believe it's not a problem of Py'Tom being a dick.
Gear wrote:"A lot of people" being you and Wright1000, apparently.
We've had other people get upset at the way this community is moderated before, though I think for different reasons.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Applegate »

he'll explode as in my sig.
I feel the need to at least reasonably point out Tom had requested, multiple times, to drop a specific subject of conversation. This was not heeded and exacerbated by a (perceived) threat to perform a certain action if he did not comply with a specific request.

His outburst included making you an IRC operator. When he made you channel operator, you promptly kicked and banned him from the IRC channel; you were then banned from IRC by another operator, which is the sole reason you are not able to access #renpy at present.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#15 Post by sake-bento »

Oh, dear. Well, I've read the relevant threads along with the IRC log, and this is another example of how quickly we're growing. We're going to have to learn how to deal with a much bigger community than we had a year or even a few months ago.

LSF is meant to be a place that fosters a creative work environment. That requires that we welcome members from all walks of life, and that invariably means there will be disagreement. HOW we handle disagreement is the big problem here. It's not healthy to blame someone for the end of a project, and it's especially destructive to do it in a public fashion.

In the end, the admins are fallible human beings trying to find a proper balance between allowing for free speech and moderating destructive discussion. As the line is different for every individual, it makes it difficult for us to find a happy middle ground. The non-PyTom mods are discussing how we're going to approach this, but I'm going to be away for the weekend, so I won't be around to read the forums much these next few days.

For those who aren't involved in this situation, I implore you not to speculate or pick sides. You don't see the whole situation, and it's not constructive to the community as a whole.

Also, I'd really like to apologize for not being around as frequently as I should. My work has taken me away from the forums more than I care for, and I've put more strain on the other admins than they deserve.