Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
WatchJessieGo
Regular
Projects: A Flower Remains, Requiem for You

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#361 Post by WatchJessieGo »

Patty, I just need to say that I love your icon! (Menmaaaaaaaa!)

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#362 Post by kaleidofish »

Patty wrote:and not being able to chat up friends in different timezones T_T
ILU, Patty. XD Good luck with school! At least, there's always the weekends for chatting... :P
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#363 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

I'm so mad at cats right now. It isn't even funny. Because it is just so unfair.

My dog strained and bruised his ACL, so he was just recently in a lot of pain, and he has to be careful with how much he moves his hips, running and jumping around.

He doesn't feel any pain right now, thanks to medication, so he wants to run and jump around all the time. Being a husky he loves to jump around when excited. It is so impossibly hard right now to keep him from running around getting excited when he sees cats running around his fenced in area. It is SO not fair, they just sit in that area, sometimes even come up right to the door to the deck and just sit their tormenting my dogs.

And another problem I worry about regarding that, is if by a chance I let my dogs out and one of the cats was inside the fenced in area. If my dogs attacked it, my dogs would be the ones who are the bad guys. My neighbors, the cat's owners, would be so mad, probably sue, or want my dogs put to sleep or something. Which is totally not fair in my eyes, the cat isn't at fault for invading our yard? It is fenced-in so it isn't like it is open, the cat jumped the tall fence. But nothing is their fault, I doubt they would even get in trouble if one of the 3 cats scratched me up. Since if they see us, *hiss, hiss*, they aren't exactly friendly cats.

I'm just so upset that I have to go through all this hassle and worry, because cats get special privileges and can go anywhere and do anything, and it is magically not their fault, "it is cute, they are just being cats."

To clarify, I'm not hating on the cats. I don't have anything against cats. I'm hating on the special things they get, and how much problems those 'privileges' would cause me.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#364 Post by Sapphi »

Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote: And another problem I worry about regarding that, is if by a chance I let my dogs out and one of the cats was inside the fenced in area. If my dogs attacked it, my dogs would be the ones who are the bad guys. My neighbors, the cat's owners, would be so mad, probably sue, or want my dogs put to sleep or something. Which is totally not fair in my eyes, the cat isn't at fault for invading our yard? It is fenced-in so it isn't like it is open, the cat jumped the tall fence. But nothing is their fault, I doubt they would even get in trouble if one of the 3 cats scratched me up. Since if they see us, *hiss, hiss*, they aren't exactly friendly cats.
Well, I love cats, but I also love dogs too. And I think if your neighbors are any kind of decent people they would probably understand if you asked them to keep their cats inside for the time being while your husky is healing, right?

And actually (if all those daytime judge shows I enjoy have even a shred of truth to them) I'm pretty sure they couldn't sue you if their pet got injured after climbing the fence to your yard, especially if they know you have dogs. They might try, but if you already have a fence to keep your dogs in, it's obviously not your responsibility to keep their cats out.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#365 Post by LVUER »

Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:And another problem I worry about regarding that, is if by a chance I let my dogs out and one of the cats was inside the fenced in area. If my dogs attacked it, my dogs would be the ones who are the bad guys. My neighbors, the cat's owners, would be so mad, probably sue, or want my dogs put to sleep or something. Which is totally not fair in my eyes, the cat isn't at fault for invading our yard? It is fenced-in so it isn't like it is open, the cat jumped the tall fence. But nothing is their fault, I doubt they would even get in trouble if one of the 3 cats scratched me up. Since if they see us, *hiss, hiss*, they aren't exactly friendly cats.
No, it's not the cat's fault. But it's your neighbor's fault that let his own cat invade your property. You can sue him for disturbing your injured dog care/medication. Call animal control, yeah... Well, I don't know how the law works there... if here, just throw the cat with rock... extra hard. No one can sue you for doing that anyway (unless the cat is a one-hundred-million-dollars pure breed).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#366 Post by Hijiri »

One of the things that I've been wondering lately is whether or not to give critiques or not anymore. Attitudes towards my critiques range from bitter to verbal attacks. If I decide to continue giving comments, I'm probably going to give the person a choice between a sugar-coated review and a blunt and honest review.

Also, I'm tired of people thinking that my attitude to certain things are viewed as offensive. Yes, I may not like it and I may not agree with the audience of it, and hell, I may be verbal about it. But I don't think that justifies making logic jumps about me. I'm most likely not how you might think I am from my comments, I'm just vocally against the stuff. :/
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#367 Post by Mink »

LVUER wrote:
Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:And another problem I worry about regarding that, is if by a chance I let my dogs out and one of the cats was inside the fenced in area. If my dogs attacked it, my dogs would be the ones who are the bad guys. My neighbors, the cat's owners, would be so mad, probably sue, or want my dogs put to sleep or something. Which is totally not fair in my eyes, the cat isn't at fault for invading our yard? It is fenced-in so it isn't like it is open, the cat jumped the tall fence. But nothing is their fault, I doubt they would even get in trouble if one of the 3 cats scratched me up. Since if they see us, *hiss, hiss*, they aren't exactly friendly cats.
No, it's not the cat's fault. But it's your neighbor's fault that let his own cat invade your property. You can sue him for disturbing your injured dog care/medication. Call animal control, yeah... Well, I don't know how the law works there... if here, just throw the cat with rock... extra hard. No one can sue you for doing that anyway (unless the cat is a one-hundred-million-dollars pure breed).
Assuming Maletrom's in the US, I imagine that that would count as animal cruelty here. Also...what if you end up killing the cat doing that?
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#368 Post by Nuxill »

Hijiri wrote:One of the things that I've been wondering lately is whether or not to give critiques or not anymore. Attitudes towards my critiques range from bitter to verbal attacks. If I decide to continue giving comments, I'm probably going to give the person a choice between a sugar-coated review and a blunt and honest review.

Also, I'm tired of people thinking that my attitude to certain things are viewed as offensive. Yes, I may not like it and I may not agree with the audience of it, and hell, I may be verbal about it. But I don't think that justifies making logic jumps about me. I'm most likely not how you might think I am from my comments, I'm just vocally against the stuff. :/
Critiques on art or writing? I'm always up for getting con crit on my stuff. :P

If your critiques are constructive and aren't written in a hostile way I would say to keep writing them. And asking is a good idea since although it's good for growth, some people just don't want critiques on their work.

I've been wrestling with drawing backgrounds today. It's frustrating because I feel like I've completely forgotten how perspective works, or at least every time I try to set down perspective points it looks wrong. Argh... I need to crack down and spend a week drawing nothing but rooms and buildings in perspective. I'm ashamed to say my ability to draw backgrounds is no where near the same level as my ability to draw people. Sigh... :oops:

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#369 Post by Sapphi »

Mink wrote:
LVUER wrote: No, it's not the cat's fault. But it's your neighbor's fault that let his own cat invade your property. You can sue him for disturbing your injured dog care/medication. Call animal control, yeah... Well, I don't know how the law works there... if here, just throw the cat with rock... extra hard. No one can sue you for doing that anyway (unless the cat is a one-hundred-million-dollars pure breed).
Assuming Maletrom's in the US, I imagine that that would count as animal cruelty here. Also...what if you end up killing the cat doing that?
IIRC LVUER said he had a bad experience with a cat invading his house and killing his pet(s). :(

But yeah, probably not a good idea to throw rocks at the poor things since it's not really their fault. If your neighbor refuses to do anything about the situation you *could* spray at them with the garden hose though; most cats hate that and it would probably only take a few instances for them to get the message that your yard was not a fun place to be. And so long as you're not like powerwashing them in the dead of winter or anything, I would be hard-pressed to call it abuse. :P
— William Faulkner

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#370 Post by LVUER »

That's why I said "if here". Here, I don't think you could be sued for animal cruelty. I doubt there's even such law. But yes, it's still animal cruelty (if you actually hit the cat). So don't do that if you don't want to (and we shouldn't anyway, sorry for ever suggesting it). Just keep your dog inside or tied until the dog's completely healed.

And yeah, I have a very bad experience of having animals getting inside my property. It's not I hate animals. I love them (I mean they are so tasty... just kidding). I raised this one canary bird from egg. It's so tame and I really love her. She spent her entire life in a cage, so when she was very old (and I think it's just a matter of time before she dies), I want to release her so she could feel free for the last time (now that I think again, it's a bad move, she won't survive in the wild anyway). Anyway, to my surprise, she didn't fly away (although I open the cage in the open). She only fly around me and inside the house, then back to the cage. She knew it was her home. So I decided to never close the gate and let her free inside my house... until a stray cat, I don't know how and from where, decided to enter my house (very coincidently... since there was never a cat managed to get inside my house before). You know the rest... this is not a Looney Toons cartoon show.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#371 Post by Hijiri »

Nuxill wrote:
Hijiri wrote:One of the things that I've been wondering lately is whether or not to give critiques or not anymore. Attitudes towards my critiques range from bitter to verbal attacks. If I decide to continue giving comments, I'm probably going to give the person a choice between a sugar-coated review and a blunt and honest review.

Critiques on art or writing? I'm always up for getting con crit on my stuff. :P

If your critiques are constructive and aren't written in a hostile way I would say to keep writing them. And asking is a good idea since although it's good for growth, some people just don't want critiques on their work.

I've been wrestling with drawing backgrounds today. It's frustrating because I feel like I've completely forgotten how perspective works, or at least every time I try to set down perspective points it looks wrong. Argh... I need to crack down and spend a week drawing nothing but rooms and buildings in perspective. I'm ashamed to say my ability to draw backgrounds is no where near the same level as my ability to draw people. Sigh... :oops:
I've done for both, and both haven't been recieved very well. I think it's the way I word things. I critique like how I like to be critiqued; quick and to the point. I also tend to only point out the negative points unless something was really well done.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#372 Post by Mink »

LVUER wrote:That's why I said "if here". Here, I don't think you could be sued for animal cruelty. I doubt there's even such law. But yes, it's still animal cruelty (if you actually hit the cat). So don't do that if you don't want to (and we shouldn't anyway, sorry for ever suggesting it). Just keep your dog inside or tied until the dog's completely healed.

And yeah, I have a very bad experience of having animals getting inside my property. It's not I hate animals. I love them (I mean they are so tasty... just kidding). I raised this one canary bird from egg. It's so tame and I really love her. She spent her entire life in a cage, so when she was very old (and I think it's just a matter of time before she dies), I want to release her so she could feel free for the last time (now that I think again, it's a bad move, she won't survive in the wild anyway). Anyway, to my surprise, she didn't fly away (although I open the cage in the open). She only fly around me and inside the house, then back to the cage. She knew it was her home. So I decided to never close the gate and let her free inside my house... until a stray cat, I don't know how and from where, decided to enter my house (very coincidently... since there was never a cat managed to get inside my house before). You know the rest... this is not a Looney Toons cartoon show.
No, I understand that (I mean, I had a pet duck that got eaten by...something. Probably a coyote or a raccoon), but I don't advise the rock throwing thing, because even if (general) you don't hit/hurt/kill the cat, that could still probably get you in trouble.

Also, sorry about your bird. I raised the aforementioned duck from an egg, too, so I was heartbroken when she died. 8C

Edit: ...I'm sad now.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#373 Post by Sapphi »

Hijiri wrote: I also tend to only point out the negative points unless something was really well done.
While that's a pretty utilitarian method, it is also the quickest way to bitter feelings and people assuming you're just an ass. I'm not bad about getting critique, but even I would stiffen up a bit if I got a detailed post about all the things I did wrong and not a single thing the commenter liked. Actually, I think the only person I would accept that kind of thing from was someone lightyears above my skill level whom I highly respected and looked up to. That would be a person like a mentor or teacher (Yes... please step all over me... make me sob my eyes out while you look on and laugh... YOU'RE SO WONDERFUL IT'S EVEN AN HONOR THAT YOU MAKE THE EFFORT TO INSULT ME) ERM, ahem... but yeah, a person like a mentor or a teacher, not a peer.

Anyway, I don't like sugarcoating either, but you know what they say about a spoonful of it :wink:
— William Faulkner

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#374 Post by Nuxill »

Sapphi wrote:
Hijiri wrote: I also tend to only point out the negative points unless something was really well done.
While that's a pretty utilitarian method, it is also the quickest way to bitter feelings and people assuming you're just an ass. I'm not bad about getting critique, but even I would stiffen up a bit if I got a detailed post about all the things I did wrong and not a single thing the commenter liked. Actually, I think the only person I would accept that kind of thing from was someone lightyears above my skill level whom I highly respected and looked up to. That would be a person like a mentor or teacher (Yes... please step all over me... make me sob my eyes out while you look on and laugh... YOU'RE SO WONDERFUL IT'S EVEN AN HONOR THAT YOU MAKE THE EFFORT TO INSULT ME) ERM, ahem... but yeah, a person like a mentor or a teacher, not a peer.

Anyway, I don't like sugarcoating either, but you know what they say about a spoonful of it :wink:
Yeah most people want to know what they've done right as well as what they've done wrong. It's also important that you explain why it's wrong (i don't know if you do Hijiri as I haven't seen a critique by you I don't think) and what can be done to improve it. Sure, it can take a little bit of extra time but it's worth it.

I try to base all of my critique after the 'sandwich' method that I learned about on a Pokemon fansite, of all places. Aka, talk about one thing you like, talk about the stuff that doesn't work/could use improvement and suggestions of how to fix it, then end on a high note with another thing that was done well.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#375 Post by Applegate »

I try to base all of my critique after the 'sandwich' method that I learned about on a Pokemon fansite, of all places.
Sandwich method is the recommended method by which to provide feedback in a professional setting here, at least. Honestly, I'll be as frank as Hijiri purports to be, but only talking about everything bad in something is (unintentionally) being a jackarse by putting the creator down. Shoving everything someone did wrong isn't conducive to building confidence or making someone feel good about what they're creating: it's a quick way to discourage people from doing things.

Imagine you are at work and someone tells you about everything you did wrong every day. You wouldn't cope with that job for very long unless you're one of those people who build up rage points until they hit a limit break, and then they go meteo rain on everyone around them except the boss monster, wiping the entire party. What was I talking about again?

In any case, Hijiri, if people got upset by your feedback/critique it's because you weren't giving them feedback in a good way. By focusing on everything someone did wrong they only learn what they did wrong, but not what they did right. And reinforcing that someone did things right is the fastest and best way to encourage them to do more of it.

Apart from that, LemmaSoft generally seems the place where we avoid giving much negative feedback, to the point that someone started a "brutally honest reviews" thread (which, I must point out, is dead) because, somehow, it doesn't seem right to just give those unsolicited?