Group Plays

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
bd648

Re: Group Plays

#16 Post by bd648 »

I would be willing to join if it was organized. It sounds like an interesting event to be sure.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#17 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Applegate wrote:No real objections here, but maybe making a separate account to send the PMs too works better so it isn't lost in whatever communications you enjoy normally or something; if you're positive it won't be a problem or don't care or whatever, go for it. I'm on board in any case.
I might get a PM once every couple months if I'm lucky (no-one talks to meeeeeeeeee ;_;) so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll keep an ongoing list of everything as well to keep track of all the suggestions.

So, I'll guess I'll go do this then :)

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by CheeryMoya »

We should try touching upon those rubies in the rough that didn't get the love when they were released, like games that have less than 3 pages of comments or so on them. Also, should we go for oldies first or run through some of the newer releases?

Either way, I know what I'm suggesting.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#19 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I've made the main topic here if you want to read up on it :) http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=15584

@CheeryMoya, I prefer to leave it up to people to suggest what they love first without restrictions and to see how it goes. I'm thinking keeping it pretty random with the mix of different individuals should work okay, so older memebers will suggest older games because they have a soft spot for them, newer people will suggest the ones they've just played. Even some of the more popular old ones could afford to brought into the light for people who have just come across VNs. I'm hoping we will get quite a variety to create a good mix :) Plus, people are self interested this way XD

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#20 Post by Anarchy »

If we're going to have different threads for all the different games we're GPing, maybe could we have a subforum just for GP threads, a bit like the NaNoReNo subforum? It would make it seem more of an event too. :3

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#21 Post by PyTom »

Anarchy wrote:If we're going to have different threads for all the different games we're GPing, maybe could we have a subforum just for GP threads, a bit like the NaNoReNo subforum? It would make it seem more of an event too. :3
If we keep this up for a bit, then I'll make one. Does it make sense to lock the GP threads when the week is over? I don't think we want to have two threads per game going on indefinitely.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#22 Post by Sapphi »

I think so, since any subsequent posts about the game can always be directed to the Completed Games thread.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by CheeryMoya »

Suddenly I have a question!

Can we suggest demos of games to play? Just wondering, because there are a few games with demos I think everyone should totally check out :'D

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Applegate »

I, personally, would not play a demo if featured on Group Play, though, no matter how promising it may look.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#25 Post by DrakeNavarone »

PyTom wrote:Does it make sense to lock the GP threads when the week is over? I don't think we want to have two threads per game going on indefinitely.
I don't really see any gain with locking the older threads. The old thread post frequency will die out naturally irregardless, and the first GP thread title is already tagged with a number, so keeping that trend, it won't be hard to tell which one is most current. If someone wants to post in an old thread, I say let them. It's good if you're curious about where your reviews are coming from, from an analytic perspective. Since people participating in the GPs post in the respective GP thread, you know that's what brought their attention to it. And that might be useful to know for some people. (It's also a good benchmark for how many GP participants we have, even those that do fall behind)
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#26 Post by Anarchy »

I think we have enough completed games to talk about already, without going into demos. On the other hand, people with demos might appreciate the feedback more. On the other other hand, it might be hard to give really useful feedback without knowing the complete story.

I personally wouldn't mind either way, but it seems that since this event is only just starting, it might make more sense it keep it simple.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#27 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I see some value in doing demos because of the feedback thing, but then you would have an issue of what qualified as a demo, unresolved plot etc. The aim with critiquing finished games isn't so much telling the creator 'Here, go fix these things' because, let's be honest, usually once you finish something, it's finished. And that's cool. Some critique might help with the next project, or maybe even help someone else who was facing a similar problem. But the main benefit is to us as a community. Having the language and place to discuss games in a critical manner is really important. It's important for us to be able to break down and analyse things, to articulate them and back them up. This is just as much about all of us as it is about the game we are talking about :)

As for the locking/not locking thing, I believe Drake brought up some good points, but I'm not sure how much it would change to lock things anyway. I think in the case this becomes an ongoing thing in its own sub-forum, it won't really be an issue. Ah, so, either way I don't mind. I'll continue to number them so they are easy to find ^_^