Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column
Projects: Ethereal Overflow
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

Maid_San's Caving Adventure/ Decay/ Other Xbox indi games

#1 Post by SelLi »

Who else has played this?
I thought it looked cute, but I'm not into maid moe.
It's under indi games for the Xbox360 market place (just 80 mc points)

My brother and I were looking through indi games for fun and a few looked good, and a few looked really terrible, like someone's first flash game or something really badly drawn in Paint.

Here's my story:
I thought that "Decay" looked good, so I downloaded the trial.
It was a point and click adventure thing about a mystery.
I honestly had high hopes for it.
There was a really well animated intro and all the scenes are 3D.
I've written dark stories before so it didn't shock me too much:
At the start you wake up in a bathroom next to a noose which you tried to kill yourself with.
And the guy's like "Did I really try to kill myself?"
So you're locked in the bathroom and you have to get out.
So you have to get tweezers from behind the mirror, and when you close the mirror, you see scratchy writing on the wall in its reflection that wasn't there before. It didn't seem to mean anything, and it wasn't too scary.

Once you get out of the bathroom, you're in a room with a bunch of things that tell you stuff about the plot.
Next to the bathroom door there's your suicide note, a news paper article telling about a mysterious disappearance of a family (who you're the father of)
blah blah blah~ I'm finding it interesting. and all.
I exit this room to a hallway.
One room's upside down for no reason and it's creepy and weird. And I don't know what the heck kind of building it's supposed to be because it's inconsistent.

The thing is, though, that I had hopes for this game, like I said.
Up until this point, there was just that creepy writing on the wall which didn't scare me too much. And by now the trial for the game's over.
It's a mystery, but no one's died yet. 3 people have gone missing, and you tried to die, but no one actually HAS, you know? I liked that. Because a lot of the time people say "mystery" and it's always ALWAYS about a murder.
They aren't, you know.
There can be mystery without death involved.
So I was impressed with the game and it was just 80 mc points to get, so I bought it.

Anyway... directly after buying it I waltzed into a room with creepy paintings, and one of them was a ghost.
It was really REALLY disturbing.
So I tried to leave the room but of course the door's somehow locked behind me...
And there are f*cked up voices and laughter and that messed up face is flashing all over my screen even though I'm not looking at it anymore.

I knew there would be scary elements, I knew it was a horror game but up until that point I didn't know it was trying to make a brick house appear out of my buttox ;/
I thought it was a mystery with dark undertones...
so... I was a little ticked and really scared because I don't like getting nightmares for no reason. I didn't know it would be so deeply disturbing.
So I exited the game and deleted it. -_-
It was one of few xbox indi games that looked like it took itself seriously, and I liked the cover and that it was a point and click :/
but yeah, apparently it's mostly just nightmare fuel.
Couldn't that scene have been before I bought it?
It really disturbed me... and I had to pray a lot.

Then I started playing the trial of Maid_San's Caving Adventure which I had, and it was actually fun and cute.
You're just a maid in a cave. XD They never say why she's there or why she's a maid or who her master is or anything, it's just one of those weird fetishes people have I guess, and the guys who made the game just were into that sort of thing I suppose.
I was having fun so I bought it for just 80 mc points, because heck, if I paid for that other game... and I'm having fun playing this one, and it's hardly any money, why not, right?
I expected it to be cute, but what I didn't expect was~
:) It was really well made.
The art was amazing in the levels, and the music was really great and not always happy and cute.
It was really challenging, too.
The enemies aren't too intimidating, which is good because you can't attack.
But besides your "enemies", you have to swim in water, jump on logs, avoid bare traps and spears, fly on skyfish, avoid falling blocks, click switches that make temporary things appear in the level, avoid lightning, and the lasers that angel statues SHOOT FROM THEIR EYES!
There are 25 levels of this, and I never once scored above 0 because the scoring system is super harsh.
But I was impressed with how great and well "maid" it was. (hohoho ;))
It's practically perfect for what it is. There are just a few things wrong, and they are really minor tweeks. (Like at the end of a stage it needs to slowly total your score and there's no way to skip it adding up numbers, and really really small things like that.)

So for those of you who also play indi games, especially ones available for the download so we can download them, which are your favorites?

(I apologize if this is in the wrong section.)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Maid_San's Caving Adventure/ Decay/ Other Xbox indi game

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

I haven't browsed XBLA indie games much lately. Especially after the most recent interface update. It looks nice, but it seems rather difficult to find any one specific form of content...

Anyway, there was a visual novel with a western aesthetic on XBLA back in 2010. The Chaos Gateway should still be available today.

Jewelry Master Twinkle has been around since 2009. It's a puzzle game which I found rather difficult to grasp, but if you can figure it out, then you may be amused at how the player's progress is presented as a romance game.

Only a few indie games utilize the internet in any way, so it does seem rather wasteful that a constant broadband internet connection is required.

EroBotan
Veteran

Re: Maid_San's Caving Adventure/ Decay/ Other Xbox indi game

#3 Post by EroBotan »

I don't own xbox but I have to say that I really enjoy reading your story about Decay and Maid ^^