Characters and [backgrounds (solved)]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Candyfire
Completed: none yet :)
Projects: Adeline's Shadow (otome game)

Characters and [backgrounds (solved)]

#1 Post by Candyfire »

I have pictures I want to use for the otome game I'm creating but they aren't working. I really don't want to take hours to draw and color all of the images I want to put into the game. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make what I have work? I will also accept anyone willing to do this for me...they'll get credit on the game and also I can work out a trade of some sort for effort. Plus I'm very new at using renpy and so I don't know much about how all this works.

If anyone is wondering, I can draw very well but I'm very impatient and when I draw on the computer, it can take hours and I get bored and irritated with it too easily. That's why I don't do it often.
Last edited by Candyfire on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: Characters and backgrounds

#2 Post by Sapphi »

Candyfire wrote: If anyone is wondering, I can draw very well but I'm very impatient and when I draw on the computer, it can take hours and I get bored and irritated with it too easily. That's why I don't do it often.
I'm the same way. I much prefer staring at a piece of paper than a computer screen.
Do you have a scanner? I like to pencil my lineart, hand-ink, then scan in and color.
Coloring is usually the fun and relaxing part, but if you're strapped for time or don't enjoy coloring you could recruit someone who enjoys coloring for fun and just give them your lineart to fill in for you.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Patrick
Projects: Project DIMINISH
Organization: Gameosaurus.com

#3 Post by Patrick »

Candyfire,

When you say that you have pictures but "they aren't working," what do you mean?

Are you talking about background art or character art?

I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm assuming what you mean is that you have character art but you don't know how to isolate it to just the character and put "transparency" around it so it appears seamlessly on your background.

Please give more details. ^_^

Candyfire

#4 Post by Candyfire »

Both background and character art aren't working. I need the characters to be larger with a transparent background and I need the backgrounds to fill the space provided. These are images that I got from a long time ago so I'm not sure how to edit them to be transparent or to be larger.

Also I don't have a scanner or a printer. They're both broken at the moment. At the moment all I have is the laptop I'm using at the moment.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#5 Post by Michiyo6918 »

The only thing you can do is to go to a library near your house (or a printer shop), find a scan machine there and scan your artwork on your laptop. If the character art and background have already been done (line art + coloring) then you just have to put them in Photoshop and start to edit them.

For the character art: Erase the white background around your character and save it as .png file.

For background art: Ctrl+Alt+I to change the size of your background and use Crop to cut out the unused part of the background. Save as .jpg file

After that you're done! :D

*If you don't have Photoshop then I really don't know how to make your character art transparent... sorry*
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

Candyfire

#6 Post by Candyfire »

Ok. Thanks. I don't have photoshop downloaded, although I do have the cd for it somewhere, but pixlr.com will work just as well I believe.

Patrick
Projects: Project DIMINISH
Organization: Gameosaurus.com

#7 Post by Patrick »

I'm not familiar with pixlr, but the freeware equivalent of Photoshop that I sleep/breathe/eat is called GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). http://www.gimp.org/

Can most certainly do transparency with .png (I just did it today in fact). ^_^

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Showsni »

You can also use renpy itself to resize background pictures rather than doing them all manually - for instance, if you define a picture like so:

Code: Select all

image field:
        size (860, 600)
        "field.jpg"
it would automatically resize it to 860 by 600.

Candyfire

#9 Post by Candyfire »

To: Showsni. Thanks, that really helps :).
To: Patrick. pixlr is like photoshop but online and you can save in any format you want. It has basically all the features of photoshop plus its free and online so you don't have to take the time to download it.