Elegy (BxB/Yaoi) (Mystery/Romance)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AriannaSterling
Projects: Elegy

Elegy (BxB/Yaoi) (Mystery/Romance)

#1 Post by AriannaSterling »

ELEGY
This is all very bare bones for the moment. I just started work on it very recently.

This is our temporary logo, which is still being slightly modified (and this picture has a tiny piece of something from another picture at the bottom; I'll put in the fixed version as soon as the artist sends it to me).
Logo1.jpg
SYNOPSIS
At Baroque Academy, students spend their time focusing on musical studies outside of their regular classes. This school, opened in 1727, looks more like a castle than a school with the exception of the outside dorms, and the secrets held within those castle walls are more numerous than the students who study there.

When his father passes away, Kaoru Nojima is sent to live and study at Baroque Academy, where he can be under the guardianship of his aunt Rei. He knows nothing of the school's mysteries, nor does he understand how few students are privileged enough to live in the old wings of the castle itself. His room's last occupant left in a hurry, opening it up just in time for his use...or so he's told. Soon enough the teen is confronted by the ghost of a boy who claims to have been murdered on school grounds in 1802. Before he knows it he's been dragged into the school's dark, hidden history—a history involving nearly 300 years of ritualistic murder.

On top of that, he has his studies to worry about, along with the possible affections of several of his classmates. If he's not careful, he may not survive the school year...figuratively and literally.
SETTING
Baroque Academy: A unique school built by the wealthy Nomiya family in 1727. Gothic architecture; main building looks more like a castle than a school. Originally hosted only 200 students. Has since grown to about 600, and about 70 faculty members. There were additional buildings built in the back to host all the extra students, though they don't really match. The school features a heavy emphasis on music, with programs for most instruments and several different official school orchestras and bands and many other student groups. At the end of every school year there is a large performance/competition, with every student taking part. Students must perform in groups of at least 2.

*The main building used to have two people to a room, but later on they became exclusive. Other buildings maintain being two people to a room.
MAIN CHARACTER
Kaoru Nojima
Vocal student

Kaoru is a young man who comes to Baroque Academy after his father dies. His mother spends all of her time traveling for work, and his aunt (Rei Muroi) is the only relative who can be his guardian. Because he is gifted vocally anyway, Baroque is a good place for him. He is friendly and has a habit of trying to helping out anyone he sees in trouble.

*His room gained a free space just recently, when the previous attendant moved out in a hurry. They were actually the most recent death, and his proximity to this is the reason he can see Kouichi.
LOVE INTERESTS
Hiroshi Miyata
Age 19
Guitar student

Hiroshi has been at Baroque since his second year of high school, making this year his third attending the school. He excelled at first, then started slacking and whatnot. He failed what was supposed to be his senior year because he just didn't care at all. He's good at cutting class to smoke and play his guitar.

*First meets Kaoru after he's bloodied up for a fight. Kaoru insists on helping him back to his room.

Tohma Ishida
Age 15
Piano student

Tohma is now in his first year at Baroque. He grew up the only child of a wealthy family and never really had friends, so he's incredibly shy. When he's not in class he usually closes himself into the piano practice rooms and plays for hours on end.

*First meets Kaoru when he helps him pick up his books after Yui accidentally knocks him over.

Akashi Wataya
Age 15
Flute student

Akashi is in his third year at Baroque, though he is still so young. He plans to continue studying at the school until he feels prepared to move on to a university. When he first came to Baroque he was shy, but now he is enthusiastic and strives to be friends with everyone around him.

*First meets Kaoru in their history class on the first day of the year. Designates himself Kaoru's first friend at Baroque.

Convinced the person who came up with him that he should be at least 15. I feel much less creepy now.

Keisuke Takahashi
Age 24
Voice teacher

Keisuke is Kaoru's voice teacher. He's the youngest teacher at Baroque, with this being only his second year teaching, though he also performed student teaching there for a year prior to this. He is calm, collected, and mostly interested in helping out his students.

*First meets Kaoru...obviously.

Itsuki Sato
Age 17
Violin student

Itsuki is in his second year at Baroque. He's the top student in his year, usually spending his time studying the books when he isn't working with his violin. He can seem very cold and aloof, but tends to relax around people he's known for enough time. He tends to worry about letting people see the various sides of him.

Yoichi Nomiya
Age 18
Student of nothing at all

Yoichi is the young, only son of the Nomiya family that owns Baroque. Despite his position, he absolutely hates music and talks constantly about how he's going to shut down the school when it's finally his and demolish the building to make space for something people will really appreciate, though he always refuses to say what that will be. Due to his position he refuses to wear the school uniform, instead showing up to class in his own wardrobe, when he chooses to show up at all.

*First meets Kaoru on a dorm roof. Claims to be there because he was getting a better vantage point of the grounds for the future. His route will be inaccessible in the first playthrough (much like Shion in Enzai).
OTHER CHARACTERS
Kouichi Arima: The ghost who introduces Kaoru to the deadly nature of Baroque Academy.

Rei Muroi: Kaoru's aunt.

Yui Tamura: A classmate of Kaoru's. Peppy and enthusiastic. Plays the trumpet.

Kagami Ichiro: Another classmate. He plays the trombone and can usually be seen with Yui.

Meiko Kaida: Kaoru's class representative. Plays the clarinet.

Hitomi Fujiwara: The school nurse.
OTHER STUFF
In order to be truly successful at this game, the player will have to balance their activities. It will be important to study music enough to perform well in the final performance and pass the school year. Of course, another part of being successful in the performance is having a partner with whom to perform at all. So if you don't have a boyfriend by the end, you won't succeed. And obviously you have to solve the mystery of the school murders! It all wraps into itself (kind of like how the Social Links were important in the Persona games).

I'm planning to do all of the scripting myself, as writing is my thing. Like I'm an English major with a focus in creative writing and plan to be a creative writing professor when I graduate. I also have two people to work on my music.

EDIT: Routes are written...scripting is next while my artists work on their end.
Last edited by AriannaSterling on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.

RVB
Regular
Organization: Brat Prince Productions
Deviantart: aambrosio

#2 Post by RVB »

I always love to see more BL game ideas being thrown out there! ♥ I would love to see this game in action! It seems like a lot of work!

AriannaSterling

Re: Elegy (BxB/Yaoi)

#3 Post by AriannaSterling »

I write entirely queer fiction (okay, I may have one or two straight novels rolling around in progress, but let's pretend those don't exist), so it seemed only logical for my VN to be BL. I'm hoping it turns out as awesome as I'm imagining it will :)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Elegy (BxB/Yaoi) (Mystery/Romance)

#4 Post by Obscura »

I'm excited for this! I'm not much of a mystery fan, but I really like your atmospheric premise. It sounds like a pretty big game as well. I'm keeping an eye on your progress here.

Pleeeeeease finish this! I'm dying to play a complete BL game.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

AriannaSterling

#5 Post by AriannaSterling »

I'm glad :D The mystery isn't really the biggest part of the game, I just needed an actual plot, and it fits well into everything.

It'll definitely get finished though--I finish everything I start, and I've been enjoying every bit of this process in the last few weeks. (Took me awhile to find this forum and post!)

Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

#6 Post by Egressus »

Kinda wondering how Gothic architecture could enter Japan during Sakoku but I'm sure no one here is aiming for historical accuracy :p
BxB! We need more of them. A whole lot more.

Tohma sounds awesome. :D
Hiatus of hiatuses

AriannaSterling

#7 Post by AriannaSterling »

Egressus wrote:Kinda wondering how Gothic architecture could enter Japan during Sakoku but I'm sure no one here is aiming for historical accuracy :p
BxB! We need more of them. A whole lot more.

Tohma sounds awesome. :D
Shhhh. Accuracy is over-rated. ...Actually I do have logic behind the architecture, but it's a lot of back story and I didn't put it in the summary. Glad you're interested though :D

Egressus
Veteran

#8 Post by Egressus »

The architect contacted a western devil?

It looks good, it sounds good, why won't I be interested? It is also yaoi.
Hiatus of hiatuses

AriannaSterling

#9 Post by AriannaSterling »

Nah xD The guy who had the place built married a girl from Europe and when they did the building she wanted it to be reminiscent of home. I have yet to figure out where to fit that tidbit into the actual script...

Egressus
Veteran

#10 Post by Egressus »

If any particular character is fond/knowledgeable of history, he might be able to mention it. Also, if the MC goes to a library at all, you can make him find the book. The easiest way out is to make a character say it and explain that he read it once, when the teacher randomly gave him a book to read. (This happened to me once; my religion gave me a book about polygamy when I was a 5th grader. Good choice.)
Hiatus of hiatuses

AriannaSterling

#11 Post by AriannaSterling »

The library would work really well actually...he spends so much freaking time in the library. Or he could possibly hear about it while hanging out with Yoichi, since Yoichi is part of the family that owns the place. Yoichi's script portions are a bit further into the future at the moment though, so we shall see. (Since he's the one who can only be unlocked by getting a certain other ending, I figure I'm not worried about his route's script yet.)

Egressus
Veteran

#12 Post by Egressus »

I think you should place it both on the library and on Yoichi's route. The library could give a factual report while Yoichi might have been told something else by his family.
Hiatus of hiatuses

AriannaSterling

#13 Post by AriannaSterling »

That's actually a really good idea. Especially with how Yoichi tends to react toward his family (he hates them just as much as he hates...well, everything...he's not a happy camper).

sapiboonggames
Veteran
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]

#14 Post by sapiboonggames »

MOAR YAOI GAME! Love the idea, hope you can finish it!
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

BairaagiVN
Projects: In Progress: Lunatic Summer

#15 Post by BairaagiVN »

I'm curious -- since it's at a music school, does music or musical knowledge factor into the story at all?