Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Endorphin
Veteran

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#4141 Post by Endorphin »

Nuxill, thanks for posting the link, it's awesome. *__*

WIP.
Tested out a new style - I want a style that's fast and easy as 1plus3 has a lot of images and I don't want to spend too much time.
(It's only my side project, actually.)
I'm rather satisfied with this - it's lazy, sure, but whatever. xD
(Err... I draw in greyscale and colour it afterwards - I left some parts out since I only wanted to test the colours.)

- R.

HumbertTheHorse
Regular
Projects: ... ...

#4142 Post by HumbertTheHorse »

Ryouko, very nice!

LucCalar
Projects: White Dream

#4143 Post by LucCalar »

Latest digital work, I need a critique on this one. Something about it isn't right.
Attachments
674132435.jpg

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#4144 Post by Hijiri »

LucCalar wrote:Latest digital work, I need a critique on this one. Something about it isn't right.
It's the way her head is turned. Try turning your own head and see if you can look back without moving your shoulders much. The way her head is positioned, the left(Here, the right) part of her body should be lifted off the bed.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

LucCalar

#4145 Post by LucCalar »

Hijiri wrote:
LucCalar wrote:Latest digital work, I need a critique on this one. Something about it isn't right.
It's the way her head is turned. Try turning your own head and see if you can look back without moving your shoulders much. The way her head is positioned, the left(Here, the right) part of her body should be lifted off the bed.
Ah, I see what you mean. I tried to use foreshortening on the right arm to make it appear at though she was propping herself up, but I guess that didn't work out as well as I hoped. Hence the nagging feeling of something being wrong.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4146 Post by Sapphi »

Ahh, it's your lovely avatar picture I commented on in the Guestbook thread!
She is so cute... >w<
Hijiri wrote:
Not only that, but the actual curvature of her upper spine into her neck is I think humanly impossible. The highlight going up her back draws attention to this. Her spine seems to be taking one direction, but her neck is taking another. (In addition, her left shoulder seems like it isn't in the correct place. I think it's primarily because the dip between it and her neck is so smooth and low. She seems to be lacking trapezius muscles.)
LucCalar wrote: I tried to use foreshortening on the right arm to make it appear at though she was propping herself up, but I guess that didn't work out as well as I hoped. Hence the nagging feeling of something being wrong.
One thing I noticed right away was that the foreshortening looked weird, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is very little contrast in your shading. I think there needs to be a lot more variance in your lights and darks. Things closer to the viewer shouldn't be the same color as things farther away, or they look flat. It's jarring to look at without that contrast because the color says "I'm flat" and the foreshortening says "No I'm not!"
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LucCalar

#4147 Post by LucCalar »

Sapphi wrote:
Ahh, it's your lovely avatar picture I commented on in the Guestbook thread!
She is so cute... >w<
Hijiri wrote:
Not only that, but the actual curvature of her upper spine into her neck is I think humanly impossible. The highlight going up her back draws attention to this. Her spine seems to be taking one direction, but her neck is taking another. (In addition, her left shoulder seems like it isn't in the correct place. I think it's primarily because the dip between it and her neck is so smooth and low. She seems to be lacking trapeziusmuscles.)
I see what you mean, the spine can't do that. I have no idea why I did it that way.

Looking back at most of my drawings I see that I always have that smooth dip between the shoulders and the neck, I'll be sure to correct that in my future drawings.

Color variance is daunting for me, I've tried to use more shades but end up ruining the end result. I'll have to try the nearer colors being different than the ones that are further away in the future.

I appreciate the critique on my work, it is difficult to improve without guidance from others.
Sacrifices must be made to further your dreams.

White Dream

Progress.

Sprites 25% BGs 20% CGs 0% Code 0% Script 10% Music 0% UI 0%

Estimated day of finish: Day 120 240 in reality

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4148 Post by Sapphi »

LucCalar wrote: Color variance is daunting for me, I've tried to use more shades but end up ruining the end result. I'll have to try the nearer colors being different than the ones that are further away in the future.

I appreciate the critique on my work, it is difficult to improve without guidance from others.
One thing they always do to you in art class is tell you to put away your colors for awhile and work in black and white until you can successfully master contrast. Then it's just one less thing to worry about when you go on to using more than one color. It might sound dull, but it is very relaxing to work in a monochrome scale... if you've never done it before, I would give it a shot!

And you're welcome... I know the feeling. I stare at my drawings for hours like "WHY, WHY DO YOU LOOK SO WEIRD TO ME?!" And then someone else mentions in passing, "Oh, the shoulders are too wide." And then I'm like "...Oh yeah."
— William Faulkner

LucCalar

#4149 Post by LucCalar »

Sapphi wrote:
LucCalar wrote: Color variance is daunting for me, I've tried to use more shades but end up ruining the end result. I'll have to try the nearer colors being different than the ones that are further away in the future.

One thing they always do to you in art class is tell you to put away your colors for awhile and work in black and white until you can successfully master contrast. Then it's just one less thing to worry about when you go on to using more than one color. It might sound dull, but it is very relaxing to work in a monochrome scale... if you've never done it before, I would give it a shot!

And you're welcome... I know the feeling. I stare at my drawings for hours like "WHY, WHY DO YOU LOOK SO WEIRD TO ME?!" And then someone else mentions in passing, "Oh, the shoulders are too wide." And then I'm like "...Oh yeah."
I have never been to art class so I must ask this, is there a vast different between greyscale and monochrome?
I've worked in greyscale when I was making a short manga, but only dabs of shading here and there. Aside from the cover I have not used greyscale in any of my CGs.
I should work on that, there was a lot less eyestrain working with shades of grey as well.

Very true.

White Dream

Progress.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4150 Post by Sapphi »

LucCalar wrote: I have never been to art class so I must ask this, is there a vast different between greyscale and monochrome?
I've worked in greyscale when I was making a short manga, but only dabs of shading here and there. Aside from the cover I have not used greyscale in any of my CGs.
I should work on that, there was a lot less eyestrain working with shades of grey as well.
Per Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote: Monochrome[1] describes paintings, drawings, design, or photographs in one color or shades of one color.[2] A monochromatic object or image has colors in shades of limited colors or hues.[clarification needed] Images using only shades of grey (with or without black and/or white) are called grayscale or black-and-white.
I tend to use the terms interchangeably (bad me) so I'm sorry if my response was confusing.
— William Faulkner

LucCalar

#4151 Post by LucCalar »

Sapphi wrote:
LucCalar wrote: I have never been to art class so I must ask this, is there a vast different between greyscale and monochrome?
Per Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote: Monochrome[1] describes paintings, drawings, design, or photographs in one color or shades of one color.[2] A monochromatic object or image has colors in shades of limited colors or hues.[clarification needed] Images using only shades of grey (with or without black and/or white) are called grayscale or black-and-white.
I tend to use the terms interchangeably (bad me) so I'm sorry if my response was confusing.
Ah, I see.
So monochrome can be any color in the spectrum, while greyscale would be shades of grey only.
Thank you for the information.

White Dream

Progress.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#4152 Post by Nuxill »

Sapphi wrote: And you're welcome... I know the feeling. I stare at my drawings for hours like "WHY, WHY DO YOU LOOK SO WEIRD TO ME?!" And then someone else mentions in passing, "Oh, the shoulders are too wide." And then I'm like "...Oh yeah."
That's why it's always good to take breaks while you're working on a piece, because you get to see it with fresh eyes when you come back. Plus taking breaks is good for the eyes, especially if you're working on a computer!

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#4153 Post by Elze »

Ruril wrote:Image
Pet design idea for Trickster Online.
:D
Omgosh I'm dying from cuteeee ; A ;

@ Sapphi: Oops. Thanks for the info. I'm another one of those who thought monochrome = grey scale. Guilty as charged.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#4154 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Something I did for myself:

miaverana
Regular
Completed: Nothing at all~ ^w^
Projects: Amy's Super Life, Princess of the Death (belong to Princesses Series)
Organization: ~o0o Valonia o0o~

#4155 Post by miaverana »

After many days dealing with laziness, I finally finished the lineart for Atelier Rorona fanart (I wish I have a tablet, drawing all the tiny details is so hard :cry:, can some one give me some feed back? )
Last edited by miaverana on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.