What you enjoy from VN?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: What you enjoy from VN?

#16 Post by Showsni »

papillon wrote:Which book? (Husband is scanning the shelves but not finding one with an inventory list that includes both Knife and Razor.)
Realm of Chaos; it's okay, though, I found a Let's Play online that lists them (I was missing A Mallet, Rope and Rations).

After drowning in the duckpond I'm inclined a little to take back what I said about dying being always fair!

BlindClarity
Projects: Stella Argentea
Organization: Rune Bunny

#17 Post by BlindClarity »

I like how my choices deeply affect the game play. I feel like a strong part of me has affected a story, and that's what I love about VNS/Otomaes.

Stainless_Steel
Regular

#18 Post by Stainless_Steel »

I like how I have at least some feeling of control over the out come. It bothers me when I'm reading a great books series, there's a love triangle, I decied on which pairing I like more, and then it doesn't turn out that way no matter how much I dislike it. Granted really good books make it so either side is acceptable, I just prefer to have some level of input in the ending.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column
Projects: Ethereal Overflow
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

#19 Post by SelLi »

I really love VNs because you can create very separate stories inside of one single project which split apart depending on the character's choices.

I also think that VNs are easier to read, with visuals to keep you interested and music and sound effects- and also, I like how there's only a little bit of text on a screen at a time, or a little bit popping up on the screen at a time. When things are fed to you in small pieces, it's really addictive and hard to put down.
(Like how I was watching Cardcaptors... I just got all 70 episodes and 2 movies 3 days ago, but since each episode is just 20 minutes long... I've already watched till the end of episode 48...)

As well, you can make VNs with a little practice as a small team of people or even just on your own, which is great. While you're playing VNs, you really get the feeling that you're there, or watching a movie or an anime. VNs can create such atmosphere- and you don't have to have a huge team to draw literally thousands of frames for a few minutes of screen time, and you can make the VNs as long as you want and as complex as you want, which other things like movies wouldn't let you do.

The ability to unlock things, all the complexity that you can put in and all the extra stories and chapters that you can find yourself as a player really make VNs fun to play, and since you can only make one of the choices in the split per playthrough, you'll get to play through it again and again and again to get 100% of the game! I think the whole idea of it is brilliant :)