Voice support

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
zen

Voice support

#1 Post by zen »

Back after a long absence, testing out version 5.3 on an old script that was unfinished. Voice seems not to work. As a test, I started a new game using the default template. To the option.rpy file I appended the contents of the voice.rpy file (version 5.3). To the script.rpy file i added the line: voice "welcome.wav" between the two lines of script. Set config.has_voice = True In the game directory I added a file named welcome.wav, trying a standard .wav, a speex .wav version, and a .ogg version. No voice is heard.

As a test, I enabled the option: config.sample_voice = "welcome.wav" , and voice is heard upon pressing test, in all three formats.

Any suggestions?

Also, documentation is unclear in voice.rpy on how to use the "new?" of specifying a voice per character. Could not find anything about it in the reference guide. I would be glad to contribute the missing voice section to the demo once I sort this out.

Thanks.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'm confused as to what you did. You should be using 5.6.4 (or .5, which I actually have to release), and then to play voice you would write:

Code: Select all

voice "hello.ogg"
e "Hello, world!"
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#3 Post by Watercolorheart »

^^That's what I use for the massive amount of voice-acting in my game. Works fine.
I'm not even the same person anymore

zen

#4 Post by zen »

Ok, upgraded to version 5.6.5 I was testing on version 5.6.3, sorry for the typo.

In version 4.x, you had to copy in the voice code from the file voice.rpy found in the common folder. It appears that the voice function is now already included in version 5.x , and duplicating this code was causing it to fail. Everything worked fine once I removed the voice.rpy code I added in. Thanks.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#5 Post by Watercolorheart »

It's always good to hear a problem successfully solved :D.
I'm not even the same person anymore