Rising Angels [GxG](Now with 100% more demo)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

Re: Rising Angels (CatgirlxOthers)

#121 Post by wakagana »

Ppftpfptt... Trust me Komi.

I'm sure this is gonna be crepes.
I think the shit I have so far is off the chain, and I don't even have any art yet >.> So considering you've probably been working on this for some time I can only imagine how well off you are. I think you need not worry, and you just keep doin' whatcha doin', haters gonna hate. (Although I dont think there are any haters on this forum, but THERE MAY BE. I've only been here two weeks... :?)

Also. I'm sorry for the very strange comment. Its just...I dunno why. But Humanized Cow Ladies are like...my weakspot. I dont even know why. I'm not a furry... but...for some reason... -scratches chin-

Maybe its the ears...

Or...Horns...

... Hnghngh..

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#122 Post by KomiTsuku »

wakagana wrote:Ppftpfptt... Trust me Komi.

I'm sure this is gonna be crepes.
I think the shit I have so far is off the chain, and I don't even have any art yet >.> So considering you've probably been working on this for some time I can only imagine how well off you are. I think you need not worry, and you just keep doin' whatcha doin', haters gonna hate. (Although I dont think there are any haters on this forum, but THERE MAY BE. I've only been here two weeks... :?)

Also. I'm sorry for the very strange comment. Its just...I dunno why. But Humanized Cow Ladies are like...my weakspot. I dont even know why. I'm not a furry... but...for some reason... -scratches chin-

Maybe its the ears...

Or...Horns...

... Hnghngh..
I'd actually like haters on my finished products. It beats silence hands down any day of the week. But anyway, being paranoid that everything is going to fail horribly is what keeps me constantly looking for patches and fixes. Example: the lack of poses for the sprites lead me to drastically increase the number of emotions and add a lot of mini-chibi CGs. Besides, I'm not worried about the art, I'm worrying more about my writing. Polishing the turd that is my writing doesn't remove the smell. Actually, it might. It depends on the smell of the polish, really.

Don't be sorry for the comment, it made my day. ^_^ A similar comment by myself is why Faye is the main character.

AmethystxRose

#123 Post by AmethystxRose »

Wow, this looks very nice! I hope everything goes smoothly, it looks promising!

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope

#124 Post by KomiTsuku »

AmethystxRose wrote:Wow, this looks very nice! I hope everything goes smoothly, it looks promising!
It has been a very, very rocky road, but we re still advancing forward. I'm still in the air on how I'm going to do the release (One character at a time, by acts, or wait 2+ years until I've finished every character and release it as a single story). Being a kinetic novel with multiple routes does give me a lot more options on how to do this, but that isn't always a good thing.

No matter how I do this, I was soon be in the market for proofreaders/beta testers for the opening and Lenna's Act 1. I figure the 40k-50k word block is a good place to start the editing.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#125 Post by KomiTsuku »

Update: We are on schedule for release. To make sure that we aren't overwhelmingly swamped, I've broken up the schedule a bit. Right now, I need a proofreader or two to look over the script for the introduction and Lenna's Act 1. Right now it is roughly 40k words (90 pages). What I need is someone to look it over for any glaring grammatical mistakes and give me their impressions of the script so far.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#126 Post by Tetiel »

By the way, you guys should check out Komi's tweets for some regular updates about the timeframe:
http://twitter.com/#!/katajion

The demo is coming up soon and I am so excited I could... I could... how did wakagana put it? I could rub my face all over it, puke up all my organs, and die from sheer awesomeness :lol: Totally the best reaction to anything ever.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#127 Post by KomiTsuku »

Tetiel wrote:By the way, you guys should check out Komi's tweets for some regular updates about the timeframe:
http://twitter.com/#!/katajion

The demo is coming up soon and I am so excited I could... I could... how did wakagana put it? I could rub my face all over it, puke up all my organs, and die from sheer awesomeness :lol: Totally the best reaction to anything ever.
Sssssshhhh... they can't know my evil master plan! More importantly, you just reminded me that I need to start uploading all of the pretty art shown so far into one place so that people don't have to sift through the old days when I was still making an RPG with all sorts of fancy bells and whistles (most of which got absorbed into the secret master plan that will be worked on once I finish RA).

Remind me never to make a Faye plushy. I'd have to make it out of some organ repellant and I'm not sure that would make it very cuddly.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#128 Post by KomiTsuku »

Weekly update: No volunteers for the editing. It's hurting productivity, but if I have to do it myself, I have to do it myself. Wordcount has been low lately due to that and traveling for work for the past few weeks. Clocking in at 45,000.

Starting on July 1st, the intro and Lenna's act1 (mostly, still waiting on most of the CGs) will be ready for a limited test audience. If you are interested in helping out Chief and getting an early peak into Rising Angels, I will be taking a few volunteers to read through and give me their opinions of the plot. If you are interested in helping out, please let me know. Thanks!

dreamingdaze
Regular

#129 Post by dreamingdaze »

Huh...interesting.

Shame there aren't choices--you could look at a visual novel like Cinders and see how choices can be properly implemented to make a story far richer and better in terms of interactivity/gameplay. To link choices solely to romance is a darn shame because that avoids the tension/excitement that comes within a visual novel that relies on any action relating to the plot. The fact that we can't fail means there is no real suspense, just a guided trip from point A to point B. But to some extent, I like the illusion of choice wasn't put upon because I'm more than a little tired of visual novels that have such poor choice systems in place. Won't name them, but one has quite a long title and a incredibly awful romance in place.

But I digress, that ship has sailed and there is clearly a lot of invested resources here in terms of art. Not a fan of the otome or cat girl sell, I always felt like those were a bit...err, pandering to the audience's taste. But since the audience exist for those bits, I suppose I understand the reasons behind it. Hopefully it won't be a random "Hey there is a catgirl here" but an actual "Hey there is a catgirl here whose backstory gives this story quality because of reason 1/2 and a follow up that actually made it a meaningful reason."

So, I'm basically saying that I'm mildly curious. The genres being thrown around aren't really the ones I'm fond of (I'm assuming slice of life/comedy mainly), but I'm more than curious to see whether I'll like this despite having everything I don't care for in one package. Since I'm not someone who can be won over by art (and care more about the story quality and writing), I don't want the above to reflect against the artist because it is quite nice. But my philosophy on art is the quality is meaningless if the story quality doesn't reach (or exceed) it.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#130 Post by KomiTsuku »

dreamingdaze wrote:Huh...interesting.

Shame there aren't choices--you could look at a visual novel like Cinders and see how choices can be properly implemented to make a story far richer and better in terms of interactivity/gameplay. To link choices solely to romance is a darn shame because that avoids the tension/excitement that comes within a visual novel that relies on any action relating to the plot. The fact that we can't fail means there is no real suspense, just a guided trip from point A to point B. But to some extent, I like the illusion of choice wasn't put upon because I'm more than a little tired of visual novels that have such poor choice systems in place. Won't name them, but one has quite a long title and a incredibly awful romance in place.

But I digress, that ship has sailed and there is clearly a lot of invested resources here in terms of art. Not a fan of the otome or cat girl sell, I always felt like those were a bit...err, pandering to the audience's taste. But since the audience exist for those bits, I suppose I understand the reasons behind it. Hopefully it won't be a random "Hey there is a catgirl here" but an actual "Hey there is a catgirl here whose backstory gives this story quality because of reason 1/2 and a follow up that actually made it a meaningful reason."

So, I'm basically saying that I'm mildly curious. The genres being thrown around aren't really the ones I'm fond of (I'm assuming slice of life/comedy mainly), but I'm more than curious to see whether I'll like this despite having everything I don't care for in one package. Since I'm not someone who can be won over by art (and care more about the story quality and writing), I don't want the above to reflect against the artist because it is quite nice. But my philosophy on art is the quality is meaningless if the story quality doesn't reach (or exceed) it.
A long title? Would it be perchance one that I am associated with? :lol:

Oh, you still have the choices. You're just limited to a single one. You've got to understand my intent behind this. I'm not trying to make a game with pass or fail, I'm writing a play. There is also an overwhelming problem of drawing my rapidly dwindling resources too thin. People have criticized me for dropping several other projects to focus purely on this one, but the fact is that I am operating on very limited time and energy. Ten characters, ten different novel-length stories. I'm going to be hard pressed to survive it already, despite my enthusiasm and commitment. If I double or even triple the length to accommodate multiple routes (2.4 to 3.0 million words, don't even want to think about...), either it will never get done, be much shorter, or I'd have to drop the number of characters. I've looked at trying to add those choices. I still spend a lot of time trying to see if I could pull it off, but if I can't get people to just test it because of this project's history... it is just not feasible to risk so much for such an uncertain future. Everything is being done at my cost so the game can be free, and several hundred CGs aren't cheap.

The main character being a catgirl really wasn't pandering to anyone's tastes other than my own for the first time in history. I saw a cute wolf girl and said, "By gosh, there's my new main character!". Things evolved a lot further than that, even if they started a lot more generic. I spent a loooooong time talking with my assistant about what we wanted to see in a main character who was a lupide. I hope she'll throw your typical expectations of "otome" characters out the window. I hope they all will. I'm not your traditional otome writer.

I've got a feeling you'll prefer certain routes over others based on your tastes. I really didn't want to write similar stories ten times, so I focused on making each story different and unique. Lenna's is a more stereotypical romance route, but others, such as Mana, Jade, and Termin, focus on very different aspects. Kika's is a lot more mystery based, for example, focusing on her pursuit of a criminal terrorizing the campus. Mana's is about as dark and disturbing as I could possibly think of for that psychological horror story. Not running on a traditional styled visual novel is giving me a lot of playing room with making the plots individualized. This could easily backfire in my face by spreading the focus too thin, but I like to think I can pull it off.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Rising Angels (Wolfgirl x Plot)

#131 Post by KomiTsuku »

Update: We are up to 21 unique CGs for the game. I'm spending this entire week devoting all of my energy to getting Lenna's route 100% completed (It's only 30k words!). I'm not sure if I'll make it, but I intend on finishing it and giving you all something to play with soon. Lenna's route is something closer to a traditional otome route (yuri version anyway). It's the story of Faye's attempts to win over the heart of her upperclassman, thwart the attempts of those who don't want to see them together with the help of the super special awesome investigator Kika, and discover if the wolf girl really has what it takes to survive in a strange universe. To celebrate, here's a sketch from our wonderful Tetiel that was used for some of the character selection CGs.
16k2y6e.jpg

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#132 Post by briannavon »

How much will this game cost?
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#133 Post by KomiTsuku »

briannavon wrote:How much will this game cost?
Cost? While I'd love to make some money to repair the horrible damage this game is doing to my wallet (I think we are up to $5,000 with an expected 10k more to go because CGs are expensive as heck), my policy has been to always release my games for free. Nobody will pay a dime as long as I'm heading the projects. Well, except for hentai. I'm not footing the bill for someone else's jollies. :lol:

dreamingdaze
Regular

#134 Post by dreamingdaze »

KomiTsuku wrote: A long title? Would it be perchance one that I am associated with? :lol:
Ehh, nah. I haven't finished one of your visual novels yet (picked up and dropped them midway). That's probably why I'm not fond of the whole "tons of routes, lack of choices" because I'm not the type to read every route if I haven't enjoyed the visual novel significantly.

But on that note, I probably would have thought limited resources should instead mean less routes (and lack of choices). I mean, that way you have amazing routes (even if they are smaller in number) because the resources are focused. It feels like a very difficult visual novel to pull off, but you do have my curiosity. I have to say, the more you mention otome as an actual positive is making my interest wane...

No offense meant to any otome reader/writer/lover, but not my cup of tea. Anyways, I do respect the odd amount of crazy ambition that defines this visual novel. I would have suggested a demo to drive actual interest (and possible artists to help out, like KS's demo got artists/video makers of high quality to do the work for free), but I suppose there is a reason for this as well.

LadyAvori
Regular

#135 Post by LadyAvori »

KomiTsuku wrote: Cost? While I'd love to make some money to repair the horrible damage this game is doing to my wallet (I think we are up to $5,000 with an expected 10k more to go because CGs are expensive as heck), my policy has been to always release my games for free. Nobody will pay a dime as long as I'm heading the projects. Well, except for hentai. I'm not footing the bill for someone else's jollies. :lol:
Holy Crap that's a lot of $! :shock:

Thank you for putting so much time and resources in to this project. Me and My friends can't wait to play it.