Creating a VN with no character designs?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Velocity

Creating a VN with no character designs?

#1 Post by Velocity »

I'm hoping to create a VN but I am new to pretty much everything apart writing, which means no experience in scripting+art+voice acting+music. This got me to thinking, maybe making something like Narcissu might be the way to go. Characters are shown rarely, and it has a much larger emphasis on story than art. (though it does have superb voice acting and music) I figured this would make scripting easier as I don't have to include as much things and would help me make a more (simple but) refined script and story. Of course I'm not trying to tackle this alone and I'll probably ask for someone to help me with the art (CG?/Backgrounds) and possibly music when I get closer to finishing up the story and starting the script. And seeing as how this would be my first visual novel I don't really feel the need for voice acting.

So what is everyone's thoughts on having a VN that doesn't show the characters (or only show them a few times). Is it only possible with a 'dark-gloomy' atmosphere? Will it even be easier compared to a standard VN?
And to clarify, when I said 'no character designs' I do intend to have characters, but I just wouldn't show them very often.

On a side note; Just wondering if Ren'Py is the way to go, or if there's another engine I should consider using (C++ or Python maybe?) and if anyone could give me a few tips and links on said engine.
Thank You!
*-Velocity

/Edit: Sorry If this is in the wrong place, just remove or move it if it is.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Creating a VN with no character designs?

#2 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Well, if you're going to have character art anyway, what's the point in not showing them very often?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#3 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Why not? Things like writing and art are only tools to convey a message. They can be used in any combination so long as it meets the function. That said, humans are primarily visual creatures, so you will have to make up for that either through really amazing writing or being very clever with the way you use the visuals you have.

Whether it is easier or harder would be a matter of opinion. Probably technically easier, but would require more effort to get the same effect.

If you are new to programming, Ren'Py is definitely the way to go. It's easy enough for a non-programmer to use.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Velocity wrote:So what is everyone's thoughts on having a VN that doesn't show the characters (or only show them a few times).
On a side note; Just wondering if Ren'Py is the way to go, or if there's another engine I should consider using
This is certainly in the space that Ren'Py is designed for. Ren'Py doesn't make a huge distinction between characters and other things - the narrator is just another character, and character art is just another image. So there's nothing forcing you into using characters anywhere.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

macuyo
Regular
Completed: Get Dumped
Projects: Soul Collector
Organization: Macuyo Production

#5 Post by macuyo »

The lack of one aspect of a VN usually calls for it being made up by another. So even though your VN may be lacking in art, it can still be made up with things such as good programming or good story. I don't really see the lack of visuals as a huge problem because all you need is one sprite to make a successful VN. (Bad art might chase away some audience though haha)

Ren'Py is the way to go because unlike the other languages, this was what it's specialized to make! :)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#6 Post by KomiTsuku »

As someone who played waaaaay too much interactive fiction during college (it was actually a course of mine), you most definitely don't need art. It's all in how you use your words.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

Some people like a freeware visual novel program called Novelty Maker. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated since December 2010...

Some interactive fiction tools let a person include images. But to go along with what KomiTsuku said, many stories can succeed with or without visual art.

Yes, it's possible to create a VN with no character sprites. "Digital: A Love Story" is one example. It's a rather avant-garde visual novel, as it's a story set in 1988, and everything is presented through an Amiga-style text interface. You might have to use some creativity in order to make the presentation of your story seem natural and appropriate. Some ideas which might help you:

* Who are the characters, and what are they looking at? If the player is looking through the main character's eyes, then what will we see? If there is an non-playable character who is constantly by the main character's side, then we might not see the person. Maybe we won't see other characters if they are ghosts or other supernatural beings. If the main character has poor vision, then we might see the world through what the person can and can't see.

* Is the MC "telling a story" to the reader? If so, this idea can give you a lot of options. (The storyteller is not good at describing things, has a loose grip on reality, wants to scare the reader...)

* If the game involves exploring places that are uninhabited, then there may be no need for character sprites.

Velocity

#8 Post by Velocity »

Woah! thanks for all the replies everyone!
Judging from what people are saying, it looks like Ren'Py is 100% the way to go. I'll be sure to give this a shot and hopefully it will turn out okay.

Once again, thanks everyone. All the replies are really helpful.

TheTourist
Regular
Projects: [untitled 0] - this is not a game (Sci-fi, Romance, Mystery, in that order)

#9 Post by TheTourist »

Chiming in a bit late, but the creator of Digital: A Love Story recommended another visual novel that doesn't use any character art whatsoever.

Unlike Digital, Collage takes place in the real world, and is heavily character-based, but it gets around not showing character art by keeping the visuals entertaining (clever use of animation) and, most of all, by just having plain old, amazing writing. Good writing overcomes everything. :)

(Seriously, I heavily recommend this VN.)