[Solved] Readback.rpy and "extend"

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Levrex
Veteran

[Solved] Readback.rpy and "extend"

#1 Post by Levrex »

The problem is, when using a "text history" module (http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... xt_History), "extend" special character multiplies the line which it extends in text history.

I.e. the following example code:

Code: Select all

n "\"Sup cutie,"
    extend " wanna ride in my car?\""
will give this:
"Sup cutie,"
"Sup cutie, wanna ride in my car?"
result in text history.

Is there a way to work this around?
Last edited by Levrex on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Readback.rpy and "extend"

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I'd try this code:

"\"Sup cutie, {w}wanna ride in my car?\""
It should have the same effect, but not repeat. (Hopefully. I haven't tested it personally.)
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Levrex
Veteran

#3 Post by Levrex »

Well, i thought of that first, but that's ain't no option.
Click-to-continue indicator needs to be shown, otherwise it would seem strange and some unexperienced readers may think that the game is broken.

Of course, i can insert a click-to-continue anim.Filmstrip right into the line, but big novels tend to have many "extends", and that is too much time to waste and a bad optimisation.
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.

apricotorange
Veteran

#4 Post by apricotorange »

I think the issue is just that ReadbackADVCharacter and ReadbackNVLCharacter defined there need to override do_extend. I'll take a closer look sometime soonish.

Levrex
Veteran

#5 Post by Levrex »

Looking forward to, thanks!

Samidarenina
Regular

#6 Post by Samidarenina »

Actually, you can use "ctc_pause=" to set the CTC indicator to work with {w} and {p}.
Of course, if you need to show new pictures on the screen in the middle of the line, then you'll still need to use extend, but for the normal things, ctc_pause should do the thing.

(That being said, I stumbled across this thread for the exact same reason.)

apricotorange
Veteran

#7 Post by apricotorange »

Attaching a revised text history module; I stripped out a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff, and "extend" should work properly. Let me know if it works as expected.
Attachments
readback.rpy
Revised text history
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

Levrex
Veteran

#8 Post by Levrex »

Holy heck, man, you are... you are... a man!
I expected that you'll just fix an "extend" bug, but you actually made it scrollable, just like i wanted to!!!
And yes, it works as expected.

Thank you very much.

Just one more thing, if i may ask...
If i want to divide the pages by some spaces (empty lines), should i add the code like this to NVLCharacter?
It's not that much necessary, but preferable.

def do_nvl clear(self):
            add text "\n\n"
            super(ReadbackNVLCharacter, self).do_nvl clear()
            return

apricotorange
Veteran

Re: [Solved] Readback.rpy and "extend"

#9 Post by apricotorange »

I didn't think I did anything which should affect the scrolling...

Slightly tweaked version: adds space after "nvl clear", and a bugfix to make it work properly across saves.
Attachments
readback.rpy
Revised text history, tweaked
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Samidarenina
Regular

#10 Post by Samidarenina »

apricotorange wrote:I didn't think I did anything which should affect the scrolling...

Slightly tweaked version: adds space after "nvl clear", and a bugfix to make it work properly across saves.
I am sure this is asking for too much, but I'll try anyway.
Would you have a bit of time on your hands to also fix "extend" in the NVL page version you did for me some while ago in http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=15728? For now, it works perfectly, but the only problem I have is the extend not working.
I did try combining those 2 codes myself, but I keep getting an error.
Of course, you'd get a credits mention (again).

*crosses fingers and waits*

Levrex
Veteran

#11 Post by Levrex »

apricotorange wrote:I didn't think I did anything which should affect the scrolling...

Now i'm happy.
Thank you again!

apricotorange
Veteran

#12 Post by apricotorange »

Attaching combined version which supports both scrolling and "paged" variants, for Samidarenina.
Attachments
readback.rpy
Combined version
(7.95 KiB) Downloaded 353 times

Samidarenina
Regular

#13 Post by Samidarenina »

Ah, thank you so very much, Apricotorange. This is incredibly helpful to me.

Levrex
Veteran

#14 Post by Levrex »

After some use, i noticed that blocking "rollback" key (assigning it to NullAction) for yesno_prompt screen won't work with readback.rpy. Because readback module overwrites the function of that key, but it overwrites that function on top of everything, which would be unwanted in my case.

I.e. i make the yesno_prompt show up while in "nvl" screen and it's supposed not to disappear until the user makes a decision, but if i roll back, going to the "text history" screen, i can watch the text history, call game menu, call prompt again, etc.
I tried to look into the code, but did not want to break anything, 'cos almost everything's going so smoothly now.

Though it's not that much of a problem.

apricotorange
Veteran

#15 Post by apricotorange »

If you want to manage the rollback and rollforward keys yourself, you can set "config.readback_full" (one of the custom config variables at the beginning of the script) to False, and the script won't touch them. You can then trigger the readback yourself with the action (SetVariable("readback_yvalue", 1.0), ShowMenu("text_history")); maybe put it on a screen which you show at the start of the game, then hide at certain key points.

On a side note, Ren'Py 6.14 will come with some more flexible options for controlling rollback, which might be an alternative to this script depending on your use-case.