Loved my drawing until I flipped it horizontally...

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
gundestiny
Regular

Re: Loved my drawing until I flipped it horizontally...

#16 Post by gundestiny »

Following suit with the others, definitely flip your image regularly! :D I'm pretty sure I do it every minute out of pure habit xD It's a fantastic way to know what you need to improve on anatomically, and pinpointing proportions etc.

Also I found if you ever get frustrated or angry at an art piece, don't feel like you have to get it done the day you started. Take a breather and resume it a day or two later. Your brain will be all fresh to fix up errors plus your patience counter will be reset haha :P
DeviantArt
TUMBLR
Art is a passion and hobby, nothing more for me \o/

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#17 Post by nyaatrap »

xiannuzuo wrote:Disappointed I turn off my pc and don't have the feeling to draw anything in the next half year. (Looook! She has a big bump on her head ;__; )
When you lose confident or get something troubled in your art, you should welcome this feeling. Because you get chance to improve yourself. I sometime draw what I'm bad intentionally to disappoint myself.
This is my advice; While you're in such status, go back to the basic art training: Repetitive simple stroking (i.e. draw circles endlessly), and imitative sketching.

bunbun
Regular

#18 Post by bunbun »

Don't get discourage over some mistake.
Everyone made mistake ^^

For my case, I use pain tool sai which they have a shortcut to flip your image, and I use it every few minute to check if my art has any mistake or not.

Of course even flipping often, the ending result of my drawing(after coloring) would still looks weird.
sometimes it's our eyes getting used to the drawing we have been staring at for long.
I believe if you work on the 2nd image and flip to the other side, it could look different and hard to adapt at first too.

anyway, if flipping discourage you, you can not flip.
but if you are some perfectionist you should flip and fix what seems odd.
I hope it helps :D
WIPS

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#19 Post by Nuxill »

bunbun wrote:Don't get discourage over some mistake.
Everyone made mistake ^^

For my case, I use pain tool sai which they have a shortcut to flip your image, and I use it every few minute to check if my art has any mistake or not.

Of course even flipping often, the ending result of my drawing(after coloring) would still looks weird.
sometimes it's our eyes getting used to the drawing we have been staring at for long.
I believe if you work on the 2nd image and flip to the other side, it could look different and hard to adapt at first too.

anyway, if flipping discourage you, you can not flip.
but if you are some perfectionist you should flip and fix what seems odd.
I hope it helps :D
We were taught to take breaks away from our pictures often so we could see them with fresh eyes and not run into that problem. It's good to get your eyes off the computer every once in a while anyway.

You should flip your picture even if it is discouraging. It will result in a better picture and you'll learn more about placing body parts in your drawing so next time it won't be as bad.

xiannuzuo

#20 Post by xiannuzuo »

I agree with flipping even if it is discouraging, because I want to learn as much as possible. But yes, when I am discouraged I stop with drawing.. So I think, when I flip my drawing from the beginning every minute, it will be okay!

The style I drew this drawing is an other style I used to draw a half year ago. So what nyaatrap said will help me too. Just draw the basics again~ thank you ^w^

Paint tool sai is a nice program I think~ blending with colors works so amazing! I have it too, but in my opinion manga studio is better because of the lines (or my sai is just doing weird because it don't want to have pressure =_=;; ).

Thanks again for the tips everyone!! Now I feel like drawing something again and practice even more~ 8)

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Oh jeez, now I feel like I've been doing art wrong. orz

Sadly, it's difficult to flip my art, at least horizontally, since I'm a traditional artist and do not own a tablet. I guess turning the paper over and seeing how it looks on the back could work, though. U:

xiannuzuo

#22 Post by xiannuzuo »

Well whenever I'm done with a drawing on paper, I flip it too! Indeed just flipping the page and hold it towards a lamp~ maybe you should try that too, because everyone here says it's good to do it ^3^

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#23 Post by Sapphi »

Victoria Jennings wrote: Sadly, it's difficult to flip my art, at least horizontally, since I'm a traditional artist and do not own a tablet. I guess turning the paper over and seeing how it looks on the back could work, though. U:
I'm poor and don't own a light table (YET), so I constantly hold the paper up to the light, lol. If you're working on something thicker, you can use a mirror as I think someone already suggested.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Endorphin
Veteran

#24 Post by Endorphin »

Or you can use a mirror for that. =o
I always have a hand mirror next to the pc (in case that I need lip or ear reference etc.), so when drawing traditionally I hold the mirror and the paper in front of me and look at the picture through the mirror - but this is probably only comfortable as I work on a smaller size. =o

The thing with the lamp sound nice too~

- R.

Edit: Light table?
That reminds me.
I had an empty aquarium thingy, so I just put a lamp beneath it and drew. =D"
^ You could use a glass table too, in case that you have one.
I used it when drawing with watercolours - I didn't ruin my original sketch that way but traced it~

dhussey111
Regular

#25 Post by dhussey111 »

awww.. amazing loved your work .. :) its perfect

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#26 Post by Destiny »

A light table can be handmade with around 50$, I made one myself too, was very easy :)
And they work as good as the expensive one (and are often even bigger, so bigger images can be flipped).

But I stay on my choice, I always do a refresh by ignoring the picture for a while. Be it two hours or even a whole day, you suddenly see errors.
Flipping will make you see anatomy errors, but "refreshing" will make many things visible like clumsy coutlines, coloring errors, etc.
Maybe combining them is an idea (even though I never flip my stuff, simply, because I never got it thaught and doubt, I will easily train myself to do so regulary)
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#27 Post by tigerkidde »

To the OP,

I had something similar and became obsessed with trying to "fix" it.

Then I saw some screenshots of commercial projects where if the art was flipped, it would look very different.
I decided I shouldn't spend too much time on flip balance unless I need to reverse arm position or make characters face each other.

I would like to improve still.

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#28 Post by Starshine »

I think she looks alright, the character's image is looking onwards from the center. If her head was looking to the side it while you flipped the image it would have changed the entire image and would proberly make the face unbalanced. Actually i take most of that back, i guess it depends on how the image is drawn. Becuse i have played many japanese games and they use the exact same image on either side of the game.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

#29 Post by SilverHyena »

My art is that way too. I wanna cry every time I see it flipped. But yeah, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm pretty sure that that's part of why when they publish manga in English they do in it's original format (right to left)-- because if they flip it, it messes up the artist's drawings.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#30 Post by Sharm »

Actually, they used to publish them all flipped, but then the fan base rebelled and got upset at left-handed swordsmen and asymmetrical designs being in the wrong direction. They didn't actually look wrong that way, just backwards.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard