The worst VN/KN ever created [Phase 2]

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Carassaurat
Veteran

Re: The worst VN/KN ever created

#181 Post by Carassaurat »

Sapphi wrote:I present to you the absolute worst kinetic novel you will ever play in your life.[...] Señor Volky McLupinstein and the League of Extraordinary Dentists
I think you missed the point a bit - sure, the story gets a bit repetitive in the middle and there are some implausible zeppelin-related sequences, but that intro movie catapults the entire KN into the realm of awesome. It's just far too good for this challenge ;) .

-

All right, my contribution is done: Origamo Furioso.

Features:
3 love interests.
Music and graphics made by people famous enough to have their own Wikipedia pages.
Painstakingly and meticulously researched representation of Japanese high school life.
Length of about 3800 words total.

Screens:
Origamo-Furioso-2.jpg
Origamo-Furioso-3.jpg
Origamo-Furioso-4.jpg
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?kyztfu6k6nn7ui7 (updated 1.1)

The download is a bit on the heavy side - that's mostly because it contains 60MB of music.
Last edited by Carassaurat on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#182 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

yay, I finally finished this. It pretty much had to have voicing, but I had to wait for a time when I would have my family around (they would have been too noisy).

It's pretty short, but it's jam-packed with all the worst things a vn dev can do: bad music, bad voicing, bad images, bad dialoue, bad visual narrative, utterly meaningless and repetitive choices and of course horrible attempts at being artistic (...well, rip-offs of shaft is more like it).

in case it's not obvious, I did all the voicing. and the singing. the images are almost all things that happened to be on my laptop, mostly old drawings of mine. the script took about ten minutes to write.
Attachments
There is no title!! GTFO!!-all.zip
(22 MiB) Downloaded 119 times

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#183 Post by SusanTheCat »

I'm still working on mine. Here is a teaser:

Battling the Terrifying Vacuum Cleaner!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#184 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Another reminder, make sure you finish off your works of... "art" in the next few days. Of all the rules, the time limit is the only one I'm being strict about.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

TheSnowflakeOfDoom
Regular
Projects: Symphonie des Rêves

#185 Post by TheSnowflakeOfDoom »

I gave this a go :D It was fun to make! Although I didn't think it would be this difficult.

http://www.4shared.com/zip/veMirNTC/THE ... win32.html

I have nothing to say... It's as bad as I can make it...
~~~~
Signature, eh?
Hi!~ I'm TheSnowflakeOfDoom! I'm not a snowflake, nor do I bring doom I just like snowflakes... This account speaks for two people, because I couldn't be bothered making my own account And I can't deal with talking on my own...
I'm not rude, I'm just really shy... Meep~ Even though I want to talk to you all...

S-so how are you all today? I hope you're all well, and all your projects are going well!~
*Runs and hides*

~~~~

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#186 Post by OokamiKasumi »

The Visitor - Completed!!!
Classic Horror Vampire Spoof

PG 13 -- What was originally meant to be a B-grade Horror spoof turned into a full B-grade Horror Story. While writing it, the plot became way more complicated than I ever expected with two well-earned characters deaths (off-screen, of course,) a couple of vampire bites, and more than a few characters getting their lights punched out.

Don't click too fast with your mouse! You may miss something!

Fair Warning: The commas and the periods look identical. (It's supposed to be a Bad game, 'kay?)

Download from SkyDrive (Updated: 8/15/2012)
Warning!!! 300 MB!

Carassaurat wrote:All right, my contribution is done: Origamo Furioso.
Actually, Origamo Furioso was pretty damned awesome. The art! The Music! The DRAMA! But most of all: the Authenticity!!!
-- I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Carassaurat
Veteran

#187 Post by Carassaurat »

OokamiKasumi wrote:Actually, Origamo Furioso was pretty damned awesome. The art! The Music! The DRAMA! But most of all: the Authenticity!!!
Thank you! I just finished up The Visitor and I liked it for much the same reasons that you mention for OF. I don't know if you felt the same way, but I felt the Visitor and Origamo Furioso were surprisingly similar in their approaches, in that both the VNs were bad by abusing great classics instead of getting down and dirty with MS Paint and homemade voice acting. That said, you've created a solid and lengthy piece with clearly defined characters and I took some cheap jokes at other people's expense, so you've got my praise for that.

It sounds a bit silly to give a suggestion in a thread that set out for the worst VN/KN, but it was a bit difficult for me to see how far along I was in the story; the confrontation with uncle Edward is the biggest and most dramatic thing you can imagine at that point of the story, but it goes on for quite a while after that. I think if you'd label the chapters x out of y, instead of just x, the audience knows what to expect a little better and it'd flow more easily. That's my €0,02, anyway.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#188 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Carassaurat wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:Actually, Origamo Furioso was pretty damned awesome. The art! The Music! The DRAMA! But most of all: the Authenticity!!!
Thank you! I just finished up The Visitor and I liked it for much the same reasons that you mention for OF. I don't know if you felt the same way, but I felt the Visitor and Origamo Furioso were surprisingly similar in their approaches, in that both the VNs were bad by abusing great classics instead of getting down and dirty with MS Paint and homemade voice acting.
Exactly! I mean, look at all the screaming about copying art? We went one further and just ripped the art off whole without even bothering to change it. LOL!
Carassaurat wrote:That said, you've created a solid and lengthy piece with clearly defined characters and I took some cheap jokes at other people's expense, so you've got my praise for that.
But I liked your cheap jokes!
-- Thank you! I always wanted to make something Solid and Lengthy. :) Originally I was going for the cheap jokes too. However, the characters literally took on a life of their own and suddenly I had an actual Story on my hands. Then came all the loose ends that had to be tied up before I could end it.

Just so you know, I kept wondering if I should throw in just one more bad guy; someone to really challenge the count, but I just couldn't think of one. Not from the horror classics anyway. I mean seriously, who's powerful enough to take on Dracula?
Carassaurat wrote:It sounds a bit silly to give a suggestion in a thread that set out for the worst VN/KN, but it was a bit difficult for me to see how far along I was in the story; the confrontation with uncle Edward is the biggest and most dramatic thing you can imagine at that point of the story, but it goes on for quite a while after that. I think if you'd label the chapters x out of y, instead of just x, the audience knows what to expect a little better and it'd flow more easily. That's my €0,02, anyway.
Thank you for your advice, but the way I made my chapters was Deliberate.
-- I wanted to keep the reader off-balance and Not realize when the end was coming. I didn't want the reader to know what to expect. I never want my readers to know what to expect from my stories.

I am absolutely thrilled that you liked it!
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#189 Post by Steamgirl »

Just a thought... wouldn't it be cool if all of the VNs entered for this would be compiled into one? Assuming they're all made with ren'py, I mean?

That way the first screen could be a "story select", and it would be easier for anyone who wants to play all the stories? :) I for one would much rather have 1 game with 10 stories to play than download 10 5-minute stories in separate game files. ^_^

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#190 Post by Ionait »

Steamgirl wrote:Just a thought... wouldn't it be cool if all of the VNs entered for this would be compiled into one? Assuming they're all made with ren'py, I mean?

That way the first screen could be a "story select", and it would be easier for anyone who wants to play all the stories? :) I for one would much rather have 1 game with 10 stories to play than download 10 5-minute stories in separate game files. ^_^
I have been thinking about that same thing! It's a good idea.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#191 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Phew, I wouldn't want to be the person to put all those together.

Anyway, today is the 30th of July, which means you need to finish your monstrosities games today.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#192 Post by Sharm »

I thought they were due on the 31st?
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#193 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Steamgirl wrote:Just a thought... wouldn't it be cool if all of the VNs entered for this would be compiled into one? Assuming they're all made with ren'py, I mean? That way the first screen could be a "story select", and it would be easier for anyone who wants to play all the stories? :) I for one would much rather have 1 game with 10 stories to play than download 10 5-minute stories in separate game files. ^_^
It's a nice idea, but it would make for a monstrously large game. Sure, some of them are small, but some are not. Señor Volky McLupinstein and the League of Extraordinary Dentists is 56 mb, Love Break is 85 mb, Origamo Furioso is 84 mb, and The Visitor is 300 mb all by itself.
TrickWithAKnife wrote:Phew, I wouldn't want to be the person to put all those together.
Neither would I. That a LOT of code to balance out. Some of it is guaranteed to overlap and cause foul-ups.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#194 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I suppose someone could just do a massive zip file of them. I'm not sure how that's really any different from a menu and integrating them all into the same game (although it'll look a bit less pretty).

I'm not volunteering myself though :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#195 Post by OokamiKasumi »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:I suppose someone could just do a massive zip file of them. I'm not sure how that's really any different from a menu and integrating them all into the same game (although it'll look a bit less pretty).

I'm not volunteering myself though :lol:
MediaFire only allows up to 200 mb in one file. Combining those games --without including mine-- would be way more than 200mb.