Ren'Py Ultralight/GBA

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#31 Post by PyTom »

Rodan wrote:albeit more expensive than the DS itself
That's the problem, isn't it? I'm not sure if there are many people who would be willing to spend more then they spent on the DS, just to play homebrew games.

I'm waiting for a cheap hack. (Say, one that works over wifi.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Jinnai
Regular

#32 Post by Jinnai »

well supercard is still the cheapest for expandable memory which is good for homebrew. You can get a Supercard CF + 1GB sandisk + superkey (which you can leave in permenatly, unless you had DS games without any real noticable battery loss) + reader for ~80 shipped. Still on the high end for most people who don't like big investment, but signifigantly lower than it was.

I just got an m3 + passcard3 for $90...course my mem card is expensive at 4GB...and i am paying more than what i payed for the DS for everything, but for me its worth it.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#33 Post by Watercolorheart »

Rodan wrote:The homebrew DS scene might actually be growing.
You can actually buy equipment for homebrew apps in retail stores.
The Max Media Player, albeit more expensive than the DS itself, is probably the easiest way to get homebrew DS apps.

It comes with a DS-cart sized Passkey that works with all DS models, and it has a 4 GB hard drive.
If you mean Max Media Dock by Datel, DON'T get it. It doesn't work on any of the four computers I have access to at my house and my boyfriend's ... they also have no tech support.

I even tried buying it again, thinking it must be a faulty cable, but it's not. It just doesn't work on Windows XP or ME ...

I tried asking a forum for a solution, but they basically told me to buy something else.

Jinnai (if you're still on this forum ... ) I've been considering a Sandisk M3 Simply with a 1 GIG card for $88 or the one without the GIG for $44 ... is that the best solution?

Or should I do a Supercard for $95? (wince)

I don't want it just for homebrew, but also to read text documents, play music, videos, etc as a portable media player ...

sorry for the thread necromancy, but the progression of the topic was relevant to my interests
I'm not even the same person anymore

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#34 Post by PyTom »

BCS wrote:Or should I do a Supercard for $95? (wince)
Shop around. I've seen the Supercard/Superpass bundle for < $60.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#35 Post by Watercolorheart »

PyTom wrote:
BCS wrote:Or should I do a Supercard for $95? (wince)
Shop around. I've seen the Supercard/Superpass bundle for < $60.
Really? Do you remember where?

They only recently released the Supercard DS (one) ... it only seems to be carried by Ebay and a limited few sites that ship to the US.
I'm not even the same person anymore

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#36 Post by PyTom »

BCS wrote:They only recently released the Supercard DS (one) ... it only seems to be carried by Ebay and a limited few sites that ship to the US.
Gamersection.ca has the Supercard DS (one) for $50. (You'd also need a microsd card, and a reader for it.)