file packaging and hiding

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
slyfoxxy
Regular
Projects: Dragon's Blood, Swan Song

file packaging and hiding

#1 Post by slyfoxxy »

Even after turning off the developer console, when my game is packaged the folder with all the music files and sprites and CG's is fully visible, like so. (example image the develope config is still 'True')

Is there any way to make it hidden so that the game still sees the images but so that people cant just go into the folder and view all the images right away? The CG's are supposed to be unlocked and if it's distributed this way then whats the point of even showing them like that?
Dragon's Blood on Facebook: Dragon's Blood

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: file packaging and hiding

#2 Post by Camille »

Assuming that you're not using the 6.14 pre-release of Ren'Py, this should still apply.

slyfoxxy
Regular

#3 Post by slyfoxxy »

Im not I have the 6.14 release, thanks so much for that I couldnt find it anywhere! Guess I was looking in the wrong place.

Levrex
Veteran

#4 Post by Levrex »

There is a button in the Ren'Py launcher, which lets you archive files...
into any number of easily-extractable packages, which are not even compressing the files, but just combining them into one big container. Just as Camille wrote.
Computer newbies, hovewer, will not be able to extract a package without external help.

Well, you can also code a bit and get the game to acknowledge the game folder somewhere else on the user's computer (like in the folder in the hidden folder in the Application Data), but you'll need an installer to make it work as intended.

There is no other ways to do this.
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#5 Post by Camille »

If you're using 6.14, then it's different because the method for building distributions has been changed. Here's the instructions for archiving in 6.14.

slyfoxxy
Regular

#6 Post by slyfoxxy »

I just did it Camille's way at it turned out fine, thanks for the help :)