Aris High Junior College [GxB][Drama, Romance, School]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
badspeler
Regular
Completed: Aris High Visual Novel, PQRS the Game
Projects: Aris High Visual Novel
Organization: Sotong Games

Aris High Junior College [GxB][Drama, Romance, School]

#1 Post by badspeler »

PQRS the Game is being remade for the iPhone!

I created this page so you can keep up with the updates and offer suggestions and critique, especially with the character and art design. Help with any work is also much appreciated! If you've played PQRS the Game, even better-- what from that game can be improved? What should definitely be retained?

Aris High Junior College Synopsis:
Who knew that getting into the best and most prestigious Junior College in Singapore would be the easy part? Now among the nation's brightest students, what will Ashlyn do when the two hottest guys in class both want the position of Class Representative... and her? Drama, romance, comedy, school slice-of-life~!

ImageImageImage

When will this game be ready?:
Hopefully it'll be done by end-2012! So far, so good.
August 2013
Current Status 25/7/13: Submitted to Google Play store

Follow us on twitter: @Sotong Games
Be our tumblr buddy (official website): Sotong Games Tumblr
Last edited by badspeler on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:51 am, edited 7 times in total.
Games: Aris High Visual Novel (for Android), PQRS

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

Re: Ascent Heights Junior College [GxB][Drama, Romance, Scho

#2 Post by Joey »

Off-topic, but, have you ever been a Rafflesian?

/Rafflesian

I played PQRS, really enjoyed it, can't wait to see what this will bring to the table. Makes me feel like setting a VN in Singapore too, our country's culture is pretty unique.
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#3 Post by Coren »

I'm a Rafflesian, and I don't see anything that points out to being Rafflesian in the synopsis at least. /:

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#4 Post by Arowana »

Just played PQRS and loved it! As of now, how much of the story, script, or minigames are going to be retained for the remake? I've not played a game on the iPhone before, so are there any programming or graphical considerations you have to take into account?

Also, are you planning to switch the art style? I see the first screenshot looks closer to the original game, while the second is rather different.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Joey
Regular

#5 Post by Joey »

@Kirroha: assuming you mean Rafflesian the same way I mean it, it's got something to do with his previous game. :V

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#6 Post by Starshine »

Arowana wrote:Just played PQRS and loved it! As of now, how much of the story, script, or minigames are going to be retained for the remake? I've not played a game on the iPhone before, so are there any programming or graphical considerations you have to take into account?

Also, are you planning to switch the art style? I see the first screenshot looks closer to the original game, while the second is rather different.
I guess one big difference would be using the touch screen, if it's going to be released on the iphone and proberly new backrounds.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

badspeler
Regular

#7 Post by badspeler »

Joey wrote:Off-topic, but, have you ever been a Rafflesian?

/Rafflesian

I played PQRS, really enjoyed it, can't wait to see what this will bring to the table. Makes me feel like setting a VN in Singapore too, our country's culture is pretty unique.
*Poker face*
(thanks for playing pqrs!)
Arowana wrote:Just played PQRS and loved it! As of now, how much of the story, script, or minigames are going to be retained for the remake? I've not played a game on the iPhone before, so are there any programming or graphical considerations you have to take into account?

Thanks for your comments :) It's kind words like yours that gives me the extra motivation to keep working on the game! I don't see it as switching art style as much as enhancing it, but yes, it definitely looks different now. Critique on the characters' new looks much appreciated.

The main story premise is being retained, but tweaked to reflect the new GxB focus. As a result, Raechelle's storyline has been condensed and Ellen's character completely removed. It's a whole new (and improved) script built with the same tone, exploring similar ideas. The script has been written, so we're just working on the graphics and coding process now; that being said, even now the school (and game) names are still works-in-progress.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

Re: Aris High Junior College [GxB][Drama, Romance, School]

#8 Post by Arowana »

No, Ellen! :cry: She was actually my favorite character in PQRS - I really liked her personality, as well as her and Raechelle's relationship. And I'm a girl who usually plays GxB, too. I guess since you've already written the script, there's no chance of bringing her back? Maybe in a sequel haha.

As for the new character styles, hmm, it looks you are going for a more conventional anime style? Are you planning on selling your game? The thing that I think is tricky about anime art is that a lot of commercial games use it, so people will have very high standards for it. Here are some otome cell phone games for comparison. In my opinion, it's pretty hard to compete with that. The art in PQRS was very unique and quirky. So in my mind, it distanced itself from that competition and automatically stood out. But yeah, I guess everyone will have their own preferences.

If you want art critique, maybe it would be useful to post your designs in the art subforum so all the artists will see them. I don't feel qualified to give real art critique myself haha, but hopefully some people there will.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

badspeler
Regular

#9 Post by badspeler »

Ellen was my favourite character too but I'm afraid the story demanded a sacrifice.

Also, here's an in-game screenshot (not concept artwork!). This angry guy is Zan, Zak's spiritual successor. He's really disappointed with David for some reason.

Last edited by badspeler on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badspeler
Regular

#10 Post by badspeler »

The Android app has just been submitted to slideme.org. I consider the Android app in alpha stage.

Hopefully there'll be some people interested to try it out before it debuts properly!

More in-game screenshots:

Joey
Regular

#11 Post by Joey »

Looks great so far! Though I think the text would be easier to read if you made it a larger font -- this probably would still be readable on a Galaxy Note but I think people with smaller resolutions would have difficulty. It's a bit odd that the font for options is larger than the font for the actual dialogue text :0 Is the app going to be free?

(OG romance, I lol.)

badspeler
Regular

#12 Post by badspeler »

It's been too long. Need this out before National Day...

I'm afraid the app is going to be paid, but hopefully there's a way for us to offer free apps to you guys!

MILESTONE

UPDATE: IT'S AVAILABLE ON GOOGLE PLAY YAY: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... jcvn&hl=en

Move discussion over to COMPLETED GAMES THREAD
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 66#p283866