The worst VN/KN ever created [Phase 2]

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

Re: The worst VN/KN ever created

#241 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

CheeryMoya wrote:I've learned from this experience that I can't work on something I know for sure will be terrible. In fact, I've barely just finished my game and even then it's really short >_> I thought I had a story... but nope.
The same happened to me. It's as if I feel forced to make something decent at least.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#242 Post by Sapphi »

CheeryMoya wrote:I've learned from this experience that I can't work on something I know for sure will be terrible. In fact, I've barely just finished my game and even then it's really short >_> I thought I had a story... but nope.
I actually found it was quite the opposite for me... the fear of creating something stupid was calmed by the fact that stupidity was expected of me. With the bar set so low, even a little higher than the bar is success. It was so freeing and my productivity shot through the roof. Of course, I didn't make a masterpiece, but I did write and put together my first finished kinetic novel, complete with animations, an opening, and voice acting in the span of about a week. I also learned a lot in the process. And I had fun, which is something I have had comparatively little of while working on my Serious Business projects.

All in all I'm very glad to have been a part of this little challenge and hope that if there ends up being another one (elsewhere than here, I assume) that other people like me will also benefit from such a therapeutic exercise. :)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#243 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I think this sort of thing benefits people to varying degrees. For those that already feel confident and are already pumping out games/work, there's very little impact, but for those that need a push to get something out there, I think this thing may have been very helpful.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#244 Post by CheeryMoya »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:I think this sort of thing benefits people to varying degrees. For those that already feel confident and are already pumping out games/work, there's very little impact, but for those that need a push to get something out there, I think this thing may have been very helpful.
True, I already did get one game out there and I'm juggling about 3 scripts, so this distraction wasn't as fun as I thought :/

Well, here we are, WTF. Totally bug free and all. This is not a TTG game. You might want to turn down your sound. If you want a story you will find none. I forgot what I was doing halfway through.
/hides

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#245 Post by OokamiKasumi »

CheeryMoya wrote:I've learned from this experience that I can't work on something I know for sure will be terrible. ...
I've learned that no matter how terrible I try to be, my story-telling instincts will override my best (worst?) efforts. The moment I started collecting images from old classic horror movies, a story started forming in my brain, and the characters started yapping to each other in my mind.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#246 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

a story started forming in my brain, and the characters started yapping to each other in my mind.
oddly enough, this is how I've been trying to write my normal stories, but this time I had no trouble stopping it from happening. I think it's cause I never once thought of what I was writing as a story, so much as just trolling. Of course, it helped that my entry didn't technically have characters.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#247 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I think a few people missed the third (loose) rule:
This must would preferably be the first VN/KN you have released.
This activity was meant for people who are having trouble putting out their first game due to procrastination or the never-ending quest for self-perfection.

The change in wording was made so if people who have already completed some games could have some fun if they really wanted.

Anyway, I need to end this at some time, so apart from the people that I've already talked to via PM, I won't accept any more games by the end of today. There is nothing stopping you from posting them anyway, I just won't add them to the first post in this topic.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#248 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Time for Phase 2.

This time it's merely a question:
For the people who participated, what did you get from this?

This may be a surprise, seeing ad it was my idea, but personally, I got very little from it.
I don't really care about the bad game I made, and I've never really had problems with motivation with my current project.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: The worst VN/KN ever created [Phase 2]

#249 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I've been the same as you, but it's probably because I've been at work on my current project, and just took a bit of time off to do this. I was definitely not the target for this sort of thing :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#250 Post by clua »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Time for Phase 2.

This time it's merely a question:
For the people who participated, what did you get from this?
I got a bitter feeling.............
Never...never again leave things for the last hour!

For the ones who actually played my game :A: (Mum)
---It's about schizophrenia, the yay! at the start was one of Sergei's 5 personalities, but because of time I cut all the conversations he had with himself....If you check the folder there is an sprite of a cat...Oh the fun I had thinking what to do with that cat!
Since I know almost nothing about this mental disorder, I was expecting from the start...to write whatever lol.

I just can't believe I started this so early and took me that much to finish it :A:
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

Halca
Regular

#251 Post by Halca »

I felt really good at actually completing something. And I'm pretty proud of what I made, since the secret ending of mine managed to scare a lot of people and the game brought a lot of laughs to those who have seen it so far. Overall, glad a participated.

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#252 Post by Ionait »

I'm really happy I participated! I have always been in the story planning/script writing/character and sprite design phase of making games, so there was a lot that I had no idea how to do that I always put off. I would stick to what I liked, drawing and writing, always afraid of the code.

Because of this, I had to tackle those end game issues. I had to package my game for release and that meant learning to use a lot of code and not just having a script with a few cute sprites that didn't move. I learned... basically everything. Seriously, haha! And I've been attempting to make games for technically a year or two now.

I feel like I have momentum now. I finally finished something and because of that, I feel like I can really do it! This project has really pushed me forward into my REAL projects and made me realize all of the possibilities of Ren'Py (that someone like me can actually accomplish!)

I got a heck of a lot out of this, considering I made a rather risque game I can't necessarily share with everyone... Yet I have... And a lot of my family played my game. xD I am really surprised by the cheer amount of downloads. I didn't expect to break 100. @_@

Anyway... tldr: I FEEL SUPER HAPPY!

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#253 Post by Sapphi »

TrickWithAKnife wrote: For the people who participated, what did you get from this?
I think I basically already answered this question in my above post... But I'll try to touch on something I haven't said yet.

I really felt a sense of camaraderie in this thread that I feel is a bit lacking elsewhere on the forum. I sort of feel like the WIP forum is more of a competition than this thread was, lol. I don't mean to sound bitter (I haven't been around long enough yet :P ) but in WIP, I get the "sales pitch" feeling a lot, and I end up feeling like I just went to a store instead of a community of fellow developers.

So, I guess I just appreciated that "We're all in this together!" feeling. Like most lovely things in the world, it was fleeting, but well worth the effort it took to participate.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Morgan_R
Regular

#254 Post by Morgan_R »

I got the skills needed to put together a basic game in Ren'Py (which I'd never used before).

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#255 Post by CheeryMoya »

I didn't get much out of this, besides a good slap in the face about something I've already known about.

I joined this contest expecting to pump out a long, stupid story of derpiness. When I'm serious about writing, I have this really annoying habit of editing as I write; I'm constantly typing and going back to perfect what little I have, sculpting that single sentence into something I'm satisfied with. I hate having that stupid habit because it slows me down so much, but it was pounded into me throughout my whole life ("Do it right the first time then you won't have to fix it later."). The game I put out? A little more than 200 words. Granted, I didn't work on it all the time, but seriously? The habit is a big de-motivator.

So this little distraction basically told me something I already knew, but if it prevented me from making a crappy game, I really need to stop and change.

Edit: I've decided to name this behavior "writing constipation."