Graphic Resolution Size

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

Graphic Resolution Size

#1 Post by wyverngem »

I wanted to ask before getting any further on my project. What's the recommended graphic Resolution for images in Renpy? Right now I have a sprite that's in 72dpi, though when I added her to the game and put it into full screen she looks blurred. I'm using the standard window size 800 x 600, but my screen size is 1440 x 900.
I ❤ Code!

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: Graphic Resolution Size

#2 Post by Hijiri »

wyverngem wrote:I wanted to ask before getting any further on my project. What's the recommended graphic Resolution for images in Renpy? Right now I have a sprite that's in 72dpi, though when I added her to the game and put it into full screen she looks blurred. I'm using the standard window size 800 x 600, but my screen size is 1440 x 900.
I don't think there's a "reccomended resolution" for Ren'Py as many people make different types of games with different window sizes. My two projects, for example, are 1280x720 (Dual-Chain Rhapsody) and 1024x600(lost code) and my own screen size is 1920x1080. And Dpi really has no value on computers, that's only important if you're printing something. The only reason the sprite would look blurry is if your hardware is having trouble processing it or you scaled it to a size iot shouldn't be. Care to post the sprite?
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by wyverngem »

Here's the sprite. It's raw right now, not sized for the program or anything. I'll look into changing the screen size. I really don't like 800x600.
Last edited by wyverngem on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ❤ Code!

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#4 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

If you don't like 800x600 just change it to 1024x768 or any other higher resolution. Keep in though, that higher resolution games might have problems
to run on older computers. 1024x768 is a pretty good option in both quality and performance.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#5 Post by nyaatrap »

When you use heavy animations or composite sprites, resolution over 1024 may cause memory shortage. Also its PNG decompression lag time will be obvious even if on a newest machine. But if you don't use them, you can use higher resolution.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by wyverngem »

Thanks, I ended up changing the screen size and it helped out a bit. At least in my opinion.
I ❤ Code!