Twin Crowns [GxB, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

Twin Crowns [GxB, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance]

#1 Post by Sharm »

Asilah has been betrothed to the crown prince but when the time comes to meet her future husband she has twins to choose between. In the short time before the wedding she can learn more about each one, about the place she's going to help rule, or trying to discover why strange things are happening lately.

The sprites are still in the very early stages, but they should be far enough along to get an idea of what the characters look like.
Zahir
In a matter of moments, Zahir will go from comical mischief to staring moodily at nothing to a frustrated rage. If the chance presents itself, Zahir will take self sacrifice to an extreme to make others happy. He feels the need to protect Rashid from his lack of communication, which results in overcompensation.
Rashid
Rashid dives all the way into everything he does, which often means he will forget inconsequential things like social niceties or eating. For some reason he's decided he's the only one who can be responsible, which has lead him to be self isolated. Zahir is the only one who can draw him out.
No image
Asilah
My original concept for her isn't working so she's going through a re-imagining.
Khalid
Khalid is the Vizir. He tries hard to keep a stoic expression and be the picture of a perfect servant, but now and then a stray expression will betray him to be a very opinionated man. Khalid thinks of the twins as his best friends, and will put their interests above any other.

At the end of the game you'll be able to choose which guy you want to marry, and this will be the only deciding factor. I want to try something different with this. You'll still have other dialogue choices but instead of those choices changing the ending they will change how that story is told. You'll get different interactions, information and different CGs depending on your choices.

I intend to make the gameplay not a straightforward VN, but something with a little adventure game in it where you explore and collect things and solve puzzles. I hope the story will be interesting but it won't be dark at all, my style is pretty upbeat even when I try for depressing. This started as my first attempt at a game but the further I got into it the more I realized I couldn't tell the story I wanted in a simple otome VN format. I would love any comments, especially a nice harsh critique. Blunt honesty is so hard to find these days, but it's so much easier to improve when you get it. Of course, at this point, any comment would be nice. I'm slow worker and attention is my main motivator.
Last edited by Sharm on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

Re: Twin Crowns [GxB][Fantasy]

#2 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Cute character roughs. You might take another gander at some of the proportions in the male characters in particular the chest to arm ratio. The girl's proportions look good though. Her head is a bit big for her body, but that is standard in a more cartoony style. Also I would suggest posing the male characters a bit differently from each other in the final product.

Looks like a good start though!
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Sharm »

Chest to arm? Either the arms are too thick or the chest is too narrow, right? I keep having that problem, guess it's time to brush up on basics again. I do have other arm positionings in the works, I'll be sure to show different poses between the boys in the next update. It's funny, now that you pointed out Aline's big head, it's bugging me. Thankfully I find girls much easier to draw. Thank you for the feedback! I'll use it to motivate me as I work on this tomorrow.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#4 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Exactly! I am glad I could help. :D Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, it looks fun.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Sharm »

Because of a virus deleting most of windows, work on this has gotten hard. Thankfully I didn't lose anything. Here's a sketch of one of the CG's.

Onomatopoeia
Regular

#6 Post by Onomatopoeia »

This seems like a cute little story. I can't wait for more.

I'm sorry to hear about that stupid virus, I hope everything is fixed.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Sharm »

Sadly, no, but I've got a workaround and I'm stubborn. The important thing is that nothing was lost! Now thanks to the power of "I want to work on this but I can't" I've got a lot more scripted and a major plot element figured out.

Veniae
Veteran

#8 Post by Veniae »

D'aw, this seems like a cute story! I like the idea and your art style is really pretty! I'll definitely keep an eye on this! Good luck and I hope your computer issues get solved soon~ ^^

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Sharm »

Thank you! I've been mostly working on the script, so I don't have much to show, but I can show you this:
Eric now has pants
Eric now has pants
I fixed a few anatomy problems (probably added more), changed the pose a bit and gave him pants. I'll update the first post when his clothes are all done.

I'm so happy people are looking forward to this! It makes me excited to work on it. ^_^

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#10 Post by Sapphi »

Sharm wrote: I fixed a few anatomy problems (probably added more), changed the pose a bit and gave him pants. I'll update the first post when his clothes are all done.
Is it just me, or are his arms really long compared to his body? His elbows seem to be all the way down at his hips. If I look at my elbows, they are closer to the indent of my waist.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Sharm »

You're right, they're too long. Thankfully it shouldn't be too hard to fix at this point.

Edit: I think I may be done with Eric's line art! I hope so anyway, there's always something that I don't notice until after I've shown it off to everyone. The updated sprite is in the first post, I hope it looks good!
Last edited by Sharm on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Sharm »

I've been trying to figure out the overall look of the game, and I think I'm going to use more of an Arabian Nights influence than I first intended. I did a mockup of the textbox.
mockup1.png
I think I'll do the rest of the gui with the same look. When Aline talks she'll be put on the left and the text box will be shorter. I'd have put her in the mockup, but I think she needs a redesign. I'm thinking seriously about making a custom font for this game, maybe a simplified version of what I drew for the title.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Sharm »

Been working on building a background in sketchup the last few days. Do you know the problem with arabic architecture? It's very detailed! Still, it looks fantastic. I need to figure out another method for doing the shadows, sketchup only really allows the sun as a light source and that definitely doesn't work for an indoor scene.
foyer.png
I've learned a lot doing this, mainly that hunting down where lines don't meet is not fun and figuring out why one of the faces in my model has disappeared is impossible.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#14 Post by chocojax »

Haha, that looks like a pain to do. Though, I love all of the work that you've put into this background. o:
Are you planning to just color this in, or trace over it yourself(which would still seem to produce the same result, lool)?

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Sharm »

Oh, definitely keeping these lines, tracing them all would be rather pointless. I did do a different style of lines when I rendered this and then set it on top with multiply to make it more dynamic, I may edit that layer a bit if it's looking too flat still. I'm actually a little terrified to color it, I worry that I'll end up making it look boring.