How do you advertise your stories? (was: What do you do?)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
slyfoxxy
Regular
Projects: Dragon's Blood, Swan Song

How do you advertise your stories? (was: What do you do?)

#1 Post by slyfoxxy »

Hey there everyone!

I was just wondering, what do you guys do to advertise your visual novels? How do you get your stories out there so that others can have the joy of reading your stories? Is there specific forums you advertise on? DO you have a Facebook page/Blog/Website?

I am just curious as once my game is released I'd like to share it with as many people as possible but I don't really know how to go about doing so. I currently have a facebook page and have been advertising on my DA page, but I've found I get really aggravated with updated a blog or website.

What do you do?
Last edited by Taleweaver on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ambiguous topic. Please use topic titles that describe what the thread is about
Dragon's Blood on Facebook: Dragon's Blood

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: What do you do?

#2 Post by chocojax »

Well, I've just been telling a few friends of mine and putting updates on LSF. Advertising it on dA, SA, any kind of art site with promo art is good too.
Try to go on forums that you would frequently visit, and put a link to your VN stuff in your signature. c:
I don't really have a blog/website because I don't really follow progress blogs/websites myself, haha.

You could try to put a page for your VN here when it's finished. It's basically a wiki for VNs.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#3 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Katawa Shoujo happens to be infamous for having spammed 4chan. (Just saying this before someone else does, since I know it's going to get said :lol: )
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

EroBotan
Veteran

#4 Post by EroBotan »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:Katawa Shoujo happens to be infamous for having spammed 4chan. (Just saying this before someone else does, since I know it's going to get said :lol: )
I'm curious about this, since i've read 4chan rules and it says that any form of advertising is prohibited. How they do it o.o?

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How do you advertise your stories? (was: What do you do?

#5 Post by chocojax »

EroBotan wrote:'m curious about this, since i've read 4chan rules and it says that any form of advertising is prohibited. How they do it o.o?
I kinda assume that the advertising they prohibit is when staff from the project hype it up or something. It's perfectly fine for someone else to start up a thread, talk about new updates and hype it up though, haha. And 4channers got together to create that project, so.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#6 Post by mugenjohncel »

EroBotan wrote:I'm curious about this, since i've read 4chan rules and it says that any form of advertising is prohibited. How they do it o.o?
1. Post as Anonymous and create a thread pretending you are a fan of the work.
2. Post another thread as Anonymous and create a non related topic while posting images from your game
3. Repeat as many times as you can
4. Call other devs to do the same multiplying the effect
5. Newfags will not be able to tell the difference and jump on the bandwagon
6. ?????????????????
7. Profit :mrgreen:
That's how they pulled it...

Now in my case... I kinda somewhat did the same as what they did except...
1. Post as Uncle Mugen (perhaps the biggest mistake I made)
2. Spam Guro images on /c/...
3. Draw Touhou Guro on the spot on /a/ then on /jp/...
4. Accept request drawing on the spot but corrupt the end result...
5. Troll as Uncle Mugen
6. Post as Uncle Mugen then create a VN and make multiple threads on /a/ and /jp/ blatantly advertising my VN
7. Somewhat profit but since I posted as Uncle Mugen people can easily identify and remember me...
Now it's up to you if you wanted to go through their route or my route. Yes, it's nice to be popular and I did get the exposure wanted but everyone treats me nowadays like a Comedic Relief Villain in some B-Rated Power Ranger clone show despite being a virtual one man VN dev team... but what the heck... it's more fun this way... just be prepared to take and get used to flak if you decided to go the Uncle Mugen way and use a Tripcode when you spam... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#7 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

EroBotan wrote:I'm curious about this, since i've read 4chan rules and it says that any form of advertising is prohibited. How they do it o.o?
I wouldn't doubt the use of proxies either. I can imagine something like spamspamspam *get banned* *switch IP address* spamspamspam.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

EroBotan
Veteran

#8 Post by EroBotan »

chocojax wrote:I kinda assume that the advertising they prohibit is when staff from the project hype it up or something. It's perfectly fine for someone else to start up a thread, talk about new updates and hype it up though, haha.
ooh... . I see, and from what uncle Mugen said it seems that the mods have difficulties in tracking anons, and that's profit for them lol!
mugenjohncel wrote:Now in my case... I kinda somewhat did the same as what they did except...
1. Post as Uncle Mugen (perhaps the biggest mistake I made)
2. Spam Guro images on /c/...
3. Draw Touhou Guro on the spot on /a/ then on /jp/...
4. Accept request drawing on the spot but corrupt the end result...
5. Troll as Uncle Mugen
6. Post as Uncle Mugen then create a VN and make multiple threads on /a/ and /jp/ blatantly advertising my VN
7. Somewhat profit but since I posted as Uncle Mugen people can easily identify and remember me...
Now it's up to you if you wanted to go through their route or my route. Yes, it's nice to be popular and I did get the exposure wanted but everyone treats me nowadays like a Comedic Relief Villain in some B-Rated Power Ranger clone show despite being a virtual one man VN dev team... but what the heck... it's more fun this way... just be prepared to take and get used to flak if you decided to go the Uncle Mugen way and use a Tripcode when you spam... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)
LOL! your method is so unusual XD (and definitely funny!!!). I especially loves number 4 ^^
redeyesblackpanda wrote:I wouldn't doubt the use of proxies either. I can imagine something like spamspamspam *get banned* *switch IP address* spamspamspam.
these guys sure take their spamming business seriously ^^;

slyfoxxy
Regular
Projects: Dragon's Blood, Swan Song

#9 Post by slyfoxxy »

There's no way I'd have the balls to do something like that on 4Chan haha, I'll just yell as loudly as I can on Otome forums and DA and such, anywhere I can find that is interested in VN's is where I shall be <3
Dragon's Blood on Facebook: Dragon's Blood

MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

#10 Post by MomoiroGirl »

Well, I haven't made a VN to advertise with yet lol :D

However, the best way a VN catches my eye, is a really awesome 'banner'
whenever I read posts here I pretty much always look at the users' signatures, and if I spot a banner for a VN, I stop and look twice, and decide whether or not it's something that looks interesting.

Since it's a VISUAL novel, I think it's also important to advertise visually, rather than just a link with the title.
Now, I don't know what your art looks like, but I don't think the quality of the art is what determines how many people will click the link in your signature. Rather, I'd say it is if the creator has bothered to make one. Besides, if you deliberately decide not to make a banner (Which actually wouldn't even have to include any, like, 'real' art, but just the game title if you catch my drift XD), it could look like you are deliberately hiding an important factor in your visual novel - the art, and then the potential reader may think it's because that factor is lacking quality.

However, the way I see it and I have experienced it, the reader only becomes conscious about the art, if something is telling them that it's bad (for example, hiding the art when advertising the VN).
But I've never shyed away from a VN/game simply due to poor art, not unless the VN just wasn't in my taste story-wise etc. :P

So yea, sorry for the rant, but my best suggestion is to be very active in various topics in the forum, and have an eye-catching advertisement in your signature :D

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#11 Post by Sapphi »

The 4chan method of using a picture of your characters is one I like (and have done). Dunno if I would pretend to be someone I wasn't, but there's no shame in just using an image of your own character.

Additionally...

Sometimes I fantasize about creating physical disks with nice cases and sneaking them into places like thrift shops and book stores. Since they're not actually store merchandise, someone will surely take them home out of curiosity. Then a new fan may be born :twisted:

I've also contemplated such things as hiding website cards inside books I donate... or just around public places in general.

There are also the "pen and marker testing stations" in places like Best Buy and Staples. Use the scrap pad of paper to draw a quick sketch and plug your story. Leave it there for someone to discover and keep. Come back often; repeat as necessary.

Disclaimer: I don't know how effective the above methods will be to my cause... and I don't really care, because at the end of the day I really just enjoy going on sneaky and devious missions. :twisted:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by chocojax »

MomoiroGirl wrote:However, the best way a VN catches my eye, is a really awesome 'banner'
whenever I read posts here I pretty much always look at the users' signatures, and if I spot a banner for a VN, I stop and look twice, and decide whether or not it's something that looks interesting.
Agreeing with this(which I should do, loool). Compared to just a link with a title, there's a higher chance of me clicking on a banner to see how the rest of the art looks like. :v And, you don't have to wait for someone to comment on your WIP thread/update it yourself to advertise it this way!

@Sapphi: Haha, this is a fun way too. Would be a really slow way to advertise, but still fun.
I sometimes think about doing those things too, haha.

mapletaffy
Regular

#13 Post by mapletaffy »

My advices are:

~You can always have your own facebook page where your friends can join, you can post updates and stuff. Make sure you update it regularly. You can also post seasonal greeting cards at your page.

~Banners! Just like what momoirogirl said, a banner at your signature can help people locate the thread of your game.

~Join at cons to give away leaflets. .

~Make a 30 second cm and upload it on video-sharing site like youtube.. . .

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#14 Post by kaleidofish »

Ah, this thread made me realize that I should do something about turning all the links in my threads into actual images. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I recommend having a website, even if it can be aggravating for you. Having one has helped me get more downloads for both of my VNs, and all of the other sites I'm on are linked to it. I don't draw, but my DA's given me a lot of good traffic to my site. My site's also helped a lot with getting people interested in my future work.

And don't forget about VNDB.org, either. :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

uselessp
Regular
Completed: The way I live
Projects: Requiem of time, change and chase

#15 Post by uselessp »

Advertising through image can help, too. But hey, how about adding some kind of sentence that might attract readers?
Like VN these days. Using the main theme as advertisement within the image?

Personally, I would use words combining with image. But it seems like if it's for advertisement, trailers are the ones people usually attracted by.
Reality is the limits dream can reach