Any They Might Be Giants fans?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

Any They Might Be Giants fans?

#1 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

I am sure I am not the only one here who listens to their music either to seek inspiration or to just enjoy myself. I have been a fan of their music since I heard their album "John Henry." Many people consider it to be their weakest, and granted it was their first album as a full band and not just John Linnell and John Flansburgh, but it is one of my personal favourites.

My favourite TMBG songs are - Don't Let's Start - Ana Ng - Birdhouse In Your Soul - Authenticity Trip - etc... (too, too many to list!)

I also have various ideas for comics based on some of their songs. Like "Hell Hotel"

Please share your favourite songs and any work that might have been inspired by their music. Feel free to share some of your other favourite artists as well! I want to know what other TMBG fans listen to as well!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Any They Might Be Giants fans?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Although I haven't really been into TMBG for the past few years, there was a time I was very into them. I think the only concert I've went to in person - apart from the free concerts my town puts on - was a TMBG concert on December 14, 1996.

Although I didn't do it much, I remember dialing into Dial-a-Song back when it was a tape answering machine. A friend of mine did it religously, and compiled a tape full of demos recorded off of Dial-a-Song, of which he dubbed me a copy.

That brings me back.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#3 Post by Tetiel »

Not a huge fan or anything, but I know and enjoy some of their songs. I especially like Particle Man and Istanbul, but I think it's because of the nostalgia factor.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#4 Post by Nuxill »

I like their music a lot... but I haven't put any effort into getting more of their cds. :oops: I do own The Spine and I like to listen to some of their other songs on youtube. What CDs of theirs would you recommend to someone to buy if they didn't know much about the band?

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran

#5 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

Nuxill wrote:I like their music a lot... but I haven't put any effort into getting more of their cds. :oops: I do own The Spine and I like to listen to some of their other songs on youtube. What CDs of theirs would you recommend to someone to buy if they didn't know much about the band?
I would recommend Flood, which is widely considered one of their best. It is the one with Birdhouse In Your Soul, Istanbul, Particle Man and a lot of other classics.

The Else is also very good. It has songs like I'm Impressed, Take Out The Trash and Upside Down Frown.

And their newest album - Join Us - is one of my favourites.

Hope this helps!

Nuxill
Veteran

#6 Post by Nuxill »

ShojiAmasawa wrote:
Nuxill wrote:I like their music a lot... but I haven't put any effort into getting more of their cds. :oops: I do own The Spine and I like to listen to some of their other songs on youtube. What CDs of theirs would you recommend to someone to buy if they didn't know much about the band?
I would recommend Flood, which is widely considered one of their best. It is the one with Birdhouse In Your Soul, Istanbul, Particle Man and a lot of other classics.

The Else is also very good. It has songs like I'm Impressed, Take Out The Trash and Upside Down Frown.

And their newest album - Join Us - is one of my favourites.

Hope this helps!
Ooh, I'll give Flood a try. Birdhouse In Your Soul is one of my favorite songs by them. I especially like the surreal music video.
My deep dark TMBG secret is that I didn't pay much attention to their music until the Chapman Brothers made a music video for experimental film on Homestarrunner.com! :oops:

darlo
Regular
Completed: Outlandish Move
Organization: Unorganised

#7 Post by darlo »

I once fiercly demanded a group of my friends to become TMBG fans ... they responded with "You're not the boss of me" ... touche :?

Nuxill
Veteran

#8 Post by Nuxill »

darlo wrote:I once fiercly demanded a group of my friends to become TMBG fans ... they responded with "You're not the boss of me" ... touche :?
Well that's what happens when you try to force somebody to like something. And if you keep bugging them they'll be even less inclined to try them out.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#9 Post by Funnyguts »

I once fiercly demanded a group of my friends to become TMBG fans ... they responded with "You're not the boss of me" ... touche :?
I get it!

Nuxill
Veteran

#10 Post by Nuxill »

Funnyguts wrote:
I get it!
Oh gosh, did I miss something? :lol:
I guess my limited knowledge of TMBG stuff really shows.
EDIT: Oh... I get it now. Wow I feel dumb! :oops:

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran

#11 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

darlo wrote:I once fiercly demanded a group of my friends to become TMBG fans ... they responded with "You're not the boss of me" ... touche :?
Ha ha ha! None of my friends seem to have even heard of them, so sadly I do not have a story like that.
For anyone who does not get it, "Boss Of Me" is a They Might Be Giants song which was used as the opening for the TV show Malcom in the Middle.

darlo
Regular
Completed: Outlandish Move
Organization: Unorganised

#12 Post by darlo »

ShojiAmasawa wrote:
Ha ha ha! None of my friends seem to have even heard of them, so sadly I do not have a story like that.
For anyone who does not get it, "Boss Of Me" is a They Might Be Giants song which was used as the opening for the TV show Malcom in the Middle.
It's because of that (see spoiler) that my friends new that one song.

johnnie2

#13 Post by johnnie2 »

I am a great fan. I have been trying to find a piece/song "How much cake can you Eat" I can only seem to find the lyrics the first line starts "The shining spoons of this town" I just cannot find any audio to listen to this short song. Any help with where this could be found or what it is a part of would be greatly appreciated. It is a bit of a mystery

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran

#14 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

johnnie2 wrote:I am a great fan. I have been trying to find a piece/song "How much cake can you Eat" I can only seem to find the lyrics the first line starts "The shining spoons of this town" I just cannot find any audio to listen to this short song. Any help with where this could be found or what it is a part of would be greatly appreciated. It is a bit of a mystery
I am not familiar with the song, but here is a link to the page on the wiki about it. http://tmbw.net/wiki/How_Much_Cake_Can_You_Eat%3F

johnnie2

#15 Post by johnnie2 »

ShojiAmasawa wrote:
johnnie2 wrote:I am a great fan. I have been trying to find a piece/song "How much cake can you Eat" I can only seem to find the lyrics the first line starts "The shining spoons of this town" I just cannot find any audio to listen to this short song. Any help with where this could be found or what it is a part of would be greatly appreciated. It is a bit of a mystery
I am not familiar with the song, but here is a link to the page on the wiki about it. http://tmbw.net/wiki/How_Much_Cake_Can_You_Eat%3F
Thank you for your reply. I have already searchd Wiki and unfortunately there is nothing positive there